SODA!!!

covingtono
on 12/26/07 1:56 am - Williamstown, NJ
Hi. Can someone tell me what is the deal with soda? I am 5 mos. out from lapband to RNY and have been craving and drinking soda like crazy for the last couple of weeks. Meanwhile, i never craved soda prior to surgery. Is the sugar content the problem, or does it affect your surgery in some other way? Please let me know before i have another ginger ale!
catherine T.
on 12/26/07 5:14 am - lindenhurst, ny
Soda is one of the worst things you can drink with the RNY. The gas bubbles from the soda can cause the pouch to stretch. I don't know why you are craving it but just avoid it and good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/07 5:25 am

After I had my RNY in 2000, I was told that I could drink DIET soda with ice.  Supposedly the ice is supposed to cut down on the carbonation.  Everything I've read from everyone else here though suggests that we shouldn't drink soda at all.   The carbonation in soda may cause the pouch to stretch.   When I had my upper GI in a few months ago it showed that my pouch was "normal" but my stoma was stretched out to 3 cm.  I don't know if drinking soda had anything to do with it or not, but if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't drink it. 

Suzanna N.
on 12/26/07 6:02 am - Ocala, FL
Ditto Ditto  Ditto It is so not worth it.
covingtono
on 12/27/07 2:45 am - Williamstown, NJ
Got it.  i'm thinking my Dr. should have probably mentioned it. Thanx!
ocgurl143
on 12/28/07 5:54 am - anaheim, CA

DONT DO IT !!! I had my original RNY in 2001 and lost about 135 lbs and have gained most of it back bc I only drink diet coke. I think it's an addiciton bc I drink at least 3 a day. I have cut back bc im looking for a revision. I was like you, never told that I couldnt drink DIET COKE...

boysclub
on 12/28/07 6:13 am

Why would diet coke make you gain most of your weight back? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/08 9:22 am
Diet Coke is carbonated.  And it contains an artificial sweetener which can trigger the same metabolic reaction as sugar. I know it is hard . . . but I believe it is an outright chemical addiction and the soda companies are just as bad as the tobacco companies.  And like everyone else who has been around for awhile on this board tells you . . . avoid it, avoid it, avoid it !
Most Active