just wondering

Janet H.
on 12/21/07 10:14 pm - Golden Valley, AZ
I have been reading the post on the forum and I have seen that some of you have regained your weight back, Now I am a new post op RNY, and can you tell me from you own mistakes if any why you regained and any advice  that would be helpful  to me so that I can keep my weight off, I know some of you had other problems that caused you to have the revision, So far I am doing very good with my tool no problems at all, I just hope that I will keep going until I reach my goal Thank you all  for any info,

Success begins with wise choices I make,I will not let noncompliance be my mistake, The surgery I had was to assist me in changes. My compliance is for a success long range, So I will think before I decide to cheat. Remember the goals I want to meet. For this surgery is not something I was force to do It was what I wanted for a healthy life!       

Kristinpgh
on 12/22/07 1:05 am

Hi,  The reason for my revision from the VBG I had become pregnant right after surgery. I was told I would never have kids. Guess they were wrong I have 3. I had staple line breakdown. I was able to eat just about as much food as I was before surgery. I had my revision almost 4 years ago. I've been lucky in keeping off the weight, What do I do different than before? I don't drink ANYTHING with calories. It is a life style change as they say, but you have to keep up with that life style change. I know I have put a few pounds on, but I'm up on that. If I see that I've put on 5 pounds, I take a step back and say hey what are you doing ? What have you been eating. I don't just say oh hey it's only 5 pounds. I let myself have treats all the time. I just do it in very small amounts. I have 1-2 cookies, NOT THE WHOLE BAG as I did a long time ago. My very best wishes to you! I know you are going to do well !  Hugs  Kristin  (hw) 420 /205

Janet H.
on 12/22/07 2:21 am - Golden Valley, AZ
Thank you Kristin for your story, One thing I don't have to worry about is getting pregnant, 

Success begins with wise choices I make,I will not let noncompliance be my mistake, The surgery I had was to assist me in changes. My compliance is for a success long range, So I will think before I decide to cheat. Remember the goals I want to meet. For this surgery is not something I was force to do It was what I wanted for a healthy life!       

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/07 2:22 am
Hi, I had my RNY in 2000.  After 14 months I got pregnant and pretty much stopped losing weight for good, but I don't blame the pregnancy on that.  I started going back to my old eating habits.  Since I wasn't able to eat very much in one sitting, I would  just GRAZE all day long.  That pretty much stopped the weight loss but I didn't start to really gain weight until I started drinking and eating at the same time.  I think this ended up stretching my stoma and food would just zoom past my pouch and it took a while to get any sort of full feeling.  I also drank diet pepsi-at least a can a day, sometimes more.    Whatever you do, DO NOT eat and drink at the same time.  Try and stick to 3 meals a day and make protein always a priority.  If you eat more carbs than protein then you'll be more hungry and eat more often.    I'm not sure when you had your surgery but the first 12-18 months are where you will drop the most weight and then you'll have to fight really hard after that to lose more.  Take advantage of this time to lose as much as you can.  Good luck!!!
Janet H.
on 12/22/07 2:30 am - Golden Valley, AZ
Thank you for  your story, I am only two months out, and at this stage I do not eat carbs other then the fruits and veggies and milk,  I do eat my protien first, and  I don't drink and eat,  I hope I don't every start to graze again,  again thanks for you story and I wish you well too,

happy girl
on 12/22/07 3:30 am
I think exercise is a huge key, as well as remembering that it's a life long commitment. It's not just about getting to your goal weight, it's about changing bad habits and creating good ones.  I would have kept up exercising way more regularly, if I knew then what I know now

And for me, I thought of it as becoming a new type of normal, but what I did pre-surgery was no where near normal, so it was like starting from scratch.  I had no idea how a regular sized/weight person ate, or what they ate.  Then when you start having problems and all around you people are successful and dropping pounds and sizes like you can't imagine and they can't related to what you are going through, the mind game start up and it gets even harder.

I wish you well!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Janet H.
on 12/22/07 10:14 pm - Golden Valley, AZ
Thank you for your story, I know that I need to exercise but I hate to move, I hope that I can learn to like to  exercise I know I will never love it but I need to make my self do it, and maybe some day I will love to do it,

Suzanna N.
on 12/22/07 11:11 pm - Ocala, FL
I can almost ditto Lullaby's story (without the pregnancy). I was super obese and only lost half of the weight with my RNY in 1998. I got so excited and felt so good that I just disregarded everything after a while. My doctor had told me that I may only lose part of the weight and so I lived with it. Eventually part of that started creeping back as well. I noticed my restriction starting to go as soon as I picked up the cola habit again about four years or so into my surgery. I also started drinking with my meals and eating carbs. I also never really had any after surgery support system. I had to travel out of state for my surgery and so I was just floating on trial and error. The honeymoon period is so amazing and I thought it was always like that.........boy did I learn. If I knew just how "golden" that period is, I would have milked it for all it was worth! I just had my revision, but I don't even 'expect' a honeymoon period like that this time. This time I know I have to work it hard and keep at it to get where I want to be. I also know I have to stay diligent for the long haul if I want to make this work. It's a mildly unpleasant reality check, but I am glad I at least can benefit from learning from the past. And I hate to excercise too, but I am going for a walk right now....Ya gotta do it. good luck, Suz
Janet H.
on 12/23/07 2:29 am - Golden Valley, AZ
Thank you Suz, I wish you well in your journey ,  I have taken in everything every one has said and I hope that I will learn from it, have a very merry christmas and happy new year,

Suzanna N.
on 12/23/07 4:57 am - Ocala, FL
Thank you. I wish you luck as well. It seems you are doing very well. I am glad you are proactive enough to realize that these things can happen to any of us. That alone should help you avoid it. I have found it is very good to keep my head "out of the sand" so to speak. Have a wonderful holiday season. Suz
Most Active