Met with surgeon

Kaargo
on 12/20/07 9:32 pm - CA
I have a stoma >20mm and saw a surgeon yesterday who said he can go in lap. and redo the stoma with hand stitches.  BTW, my pouch is too small for the endoscopic procedures out there. Question:  How do I know this won't happen again?  The doctor said that was the million dollar question.   Anything to share on this topic?
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/07 10:17 pm - TX

The fear of mechanical failure of repairs to my RNY are what prompted me to continue to search for a better way to lose the weight once and for all. It's what started my research but having had lived with the RNY for 12 years, I was pretty tired of dumping, vomiting and food getting stuck, not to mention the 110% regain.  I wanted something better.    Which led me to the DS and I'll forever be grateful to all who helped in my journey!!!!!!!

Read on the DS forum and see if the DS would be something you might be interested in. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

Kaargo
on 12/21/07 12:49 am - CA
Thank you.  I have seen people with DS post like they swear their life and that of those around them on it.  I am going to ask an honest question and please only take it out of curiosity and not criticism.  I have read that DS can cause a pale look to its patients, halitosos, fouler than normal gas, and other such unpleasantries.  Do you find this to be true and if not, do you consider the above so very rare?  Thanks for your support.
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/07 9:09 pm - TX
On December 21, 2007 at 8:49 AM Pacific Time, Kaargo wrote:
Thank you.  I have seen people with DS post like they swear their life and that of those around them on it.  I am going to ask an honest question and please only take it out of curiosity and not criticism.  I have read that DS can cause a pale look to its patients, halitosos, fouler than normal gas, and other such unpleasantries.  Do you find this to be true and if not, do you consider the above so very rare?  Thanks for your support.

Most of what you've heard is myth.  Not pale at all.  In fact, I've never looked , felt or was healthier.  Here is a picture taken of me last week at a DS party at my home.  I'm going to invite you to be my friend so you can view the others and see other DS'rs in various stages of their journey.

Ketotis is the cause of halitotis and/or body odor.  It's very temporary and happens to anyone losing weight rapidly, not only surgical patients. Atkins actually advises you to purchase Ketone strips so you know when the reduction of carbs puts you into ketosis. Ketosis is a byproduct of anyone losing weight. 

Gas, foul smelling stools can be stinky (I've never really smelled good smelling gas or BM"s, have you?)  but are also controllable with your diet. Some people find that they have to take meds to clear up the abundence of bad bacteria but once they do, they go on a low maintenance dose and the problem is gone. 

The main culprit for most are white flour, sugar, pasta, and milk (many surgical patients become lactose intolerant, perhaps only for a little while, some long term but can take products in order for them to enjoy milk or drink lactaid free milk).  Some people have no problems with these and others can enjoy these in smaller amounts. 

In fact, here's a link for a thread I posted yesterday on this very subject.

http://tinyurl.com/2pswv7

Tiffany G.
on 12/23/07 6:02 am
You look great, Starry!
Janelle S.
on 12/21/07 10:28 am - Metairie, LA
Who is your doctor? I am in the same situation. My pouch is too small for Stomaphyx. I had a surgeon suggest the lap stitching but neither of us knew of anyone doing it. I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks, Janelle

Kaargo
on 12/21/07 9:36 pm - CA
I'm in Californai.  His name is Dr. Bengt Peterhson.  I have decided to go to Fresno and have a consult with Dr. Higa.  He is the president of the ASBS.
Most Active