Revision Journey has begun

Melissa D.
on 12/17/07 9:13 pm - West Burlington, IA

After a good bit of research and consideration, I have chosen to have an RNY (revision from VBG).  I looked at the DS, but no one in Iowa does it, and I wanted someone close to home in case of complications.  I made several appointments with different doctors, to check out their programs. I have decided to go to Grinnell, IA and see Dr. David Kermode.  Well, yesterday was the day.  I went to Grinnell, nervous & excited.  The staff was very friendly (I knew they would be!!), and helpful.   They took a picture of me for the file (I'll have to see if I can get a copy of that someday hehe), and I had to do a breathe test to check for bacteria in my stomache (more about that in a min).  Then Dr. Kermode came in and we chatted for a bit.  Apparently, the staple line *&* the band from my VBG have disappeared.  There was no real indication from my last GI that I had had the VBG (had it in 1999, and the GI was in 03).  So, that right there should be enough to get approval (I HOPE) from the insurance.  I gave them my WW documentation, and they made a copy for my file.  They also set me up for an upper GI on Wednesday.   The breathe test found that I have h pylori infection.  So I am on some MAJOR anti-biotics for the next two weeks (2 prevacid, 4 amox, and 2 Biaxin everyday!!).  The only things that I need now are the psychological eval (and MMPI), and a letter from my general practitioner.   I got home, and the letter from my GP had come in the mail (of course!), and I called to set up an appointment with the psych that they use, and low and behold, they have an opening on Wednesday!! 

SO, tomorrow, I go in and get the GI done in the morning (the barium kind), then run over to the doc's office to drop off the letter, and on to the psych eval.   All that's left after that is the WAITING!!!  My case will go through the other doc's (the "board") of the surgical group for approval, and then on to insurance.  The doc's meet every Thursday, so maybe they'll talk about me this week(depends on how soon the results from my testing is sent to them).   I would LOVE to hear back before the holidays, but I'm not really expecting to.  I figure after the first of the year.  YAY!!!  What a way to start the new year off!!!   Mel

Ms Janet
on 12/18/07 1:50 am - Star City, NE
I wonder what happened to the materials from the VBG???  I had a VBG in 1992 at Iowa City.  It had to be "undone," because of an ulcer.  When I had revision surgery on 6/13/06, they told me some of the mesh from the VBG was still there. Good luck to you!

Janet 

Melissa D.
on 12/18/07 2:12 am - West Burlington, IA
I was wondering that too... maybe I'll try to remember to ask the doc when I go back. 
Kristinpgh
on 12/18/07 9:01 am
Mel,  I'm so happy for you!!!!! I bet you are just jumping for joy right now! I'm a revision from the VBG . I had my revision almost 4 years ago. From the VBG To the RNY. I think you are going to be VERY happy!  If you have any questions please feel free to ask, or email me  Kristin  420/ 205 current weight
Melissa D.
on 12/20/07 10:23 am - West Burlington, IA
Well, it's all over but the WAITING!! LOL   I did all the testing that they wanted, I met the PA, I have given them all the paperwork (letter from doc, documentation of weight loss attempts, etc, etc), had my psych eval.   The Psychologist said that it'd take him about two weeks to get the report done (MMPI test results, etc).  As soon as the insurance pays him, he'll pass the report on to the surgeon.  Then, I'll be presented to the "board".  After that, submission to insurance for the surgery.    So... the wait has begun.  I'll wait till after the new year to call insurance to be sure they are paying the psych.  If not, I'll do it myself and just wait to be re-imbersed.  LOL  Here's hoping for a QUICK turn around time!!  XXXXXX
Most Active