Lapband over RNY

Matata 2
on 12/18/07 3:41 am - Minneapolis, MN
I had lapband over RNY on October 25th. I was having many digestive problems  (chronic diarhea )and had gained back about 30 pounds since loosing 120 following the 9/2004 RNY. I lost 15 lbs. before surgery during a 2 week liquid diet, gained 13 from surgery (had 2 hernias reapaired at same time), and have relost the 13 lbs.  I had gained plus 12 more for a total loss to date of 27 lbs. My digestive issues are residing and returning to a more normal pattern.  My RNY was a tool that was a bit abused over time. I drank with my meals, began bad snacking habits and began letting liquid calories creep back into my diet. I spent the past year getting back to basics...following pouch rules and increasing my exercizing. It helped to stabilize my weight but did nothing for the digestive issues. My stoma had stretched 100% and my pouch had stretched 10 X's the original size. I just had my first fill (4 cc's in a 10 cc band) on December 13th. I will be going for # 2 on Dec. 27th. I can tell that the fill slow things down but I still have flow-thru into my small intestines about 2 inches below my sternum. The return to normal bowel function was very worth this revision. Matata2
neicey
on 7/19/08 10:01 am - TOLEDO, OH

I recently got a referral to a new surgeon closer to my home and I am waiting to hear back from their office about an appointment.  I have been looking for info on lap band over RNY, I had one person tell me not to do it but I really think I would prefer it. I had RNY three years ago, never met my goal of 125 lbs. I started at 278 got down to 198 lbs and stopped for different reasons. I lost my job right after surgery and was only able to get one followup appointment in before I lost benefits.  Then I got an ulcer and was hospitalized, had super low iron and almost no B12 so things just stopped after that.  I have gained back some weight got back up to 221 and have lost a few and back down to 212 but I am just super disappointed that I never even got close to my goal and feel like a huge failure.
So I would lvoe to hear about your journey and did your insurance even pay for it. I now have a new job with great benefits again and wondered if they would even pay for it since I already had the RNY and what they even look for.

I really appreciate and info.

Bernice

Most Active