Lapband over RNY

katchal
on 12/15/07 12:04 pm - Goodview, VA
Hello all, I had an RNY 4 years ago.  I initially lost 115lbs and old habits slipped back and I have gained 60lbs.  I have been reading a lot of information about the lapband procedure and even spoke to my surgeon the other day regarding what my options were.  I have been in contact with the clinical trial at Baltimore and will be going there to see if I will qualify for the RESTORe clinical trial.  My question: Has anyone had a lapband placed over your pouch from the RNY and has it been successful?  I really appreciate any guidance. Thanks Katchal
darnell239
on 12/16/07 8:29 am - Columbia, SC
Katchal, I posted a question like this several weeks ago and I do know that there are few people on this forum that has had it done.  I have heard missed reviews.  I am now in the process of trying to have it done myself.  It is not my first choice but it beats nothing at all.  I was not a candidate for the duodenal switch so I'm taking what I can get as long as insurance pays for it.
Shawnta H.
on 12/16/07 9:43 am - Ellicott City, MD
Darnell, Have you considered revising to the Distal RNY or did your surgeon say that was not an option.  I am still preop but I really excited about my revision to a Distal RNY.  Like you I have heard mixed reviews about the lapband over RNY but like you I would take what ever the insurance would pay for at this point . Keep us posted on what you decide to do.  Just hurry up so we can continue this conversation on the other side!!!!!! S
darnell239
on 12/16/07 11:28 am - Columbia, SC
Shawnta, I thought about a distal RNY but I have low iron and the doctor I see does not think bypassing me more will help with my iron.
Shawnta H.
on 12/17/07 1:01 am - Ellicott City, MD
Darnell, I have low iron as well my doctor has me on iron and vitamin c daily.  I sure hope that will be enough after my surgery because I don't want to go back to getting infusions.  S
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/08 6:41 am - Grand Prairie, TX
My Dr. tried twice to perform a Lapband over my RNY but could not do it.  I had too much scar tissue and they could not find a good/safe place to install it without a high risk or errosion or slippage. I am now looking at the Stomaphx.
catherine T.
on 12/16/07 7:18 pm - lindenhurst, ny
Katchal,                                                                                                                                                                        I also had the RNY almost 5 years ago and have gained about half back. I will be having the band over the RNY. I live in NY and Dr. Fielding at NYU will be doing the surgery. He is one the top Lap surgeons and he has published data on Lap over RNY. If you go to PubMed .com you can find the results. Good luck. Cathy
darnell239
on 12/17/07 4:56 am - Columbia, SC
Catherine, I looked for the data on PubMed.com and could not find the information.  Can you give more specific information about where to find the data.
catherine T.
on 12/18/07 5:11 am - lindenhurst, ny
Darnell,                                                                                                                                                                       When you go to PubMed.com you have to search by author. type in George Fielding. A list of published articles will come up and it basically the stats of people that have had Lap band over RNY. Good luck, Cathy
Cheryl J.
on 12/21/07 10:28 pm
Hi Cathy, What a small world. My best friend had her Lap Band with Dr. Fielding too. Once I get insurance again, Im considering doing the same thing. I ahd RNY 6 years ago. Do you know what the criteria is to get the Lap Band over the RNY?  I think my friend said you have to be at least 80lbs over the ideal weight for my height & weight.  I would love to keep in touch with you. I live in Long Island also. Cheryl
Most Active