TO ALL THOSE WAITING FOR REVISION

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/07 8:44 am - Brampton, Canada
I had the VBG 20 years ago and went from 260 lbs. down to 113 lbs for several years.  Over the years the staples started to separate and the weight came back on.  I felt like a failure and in January 2006, decided to see a lapband surgeon who my family doctor recommended to check out even though it would cost me $16,000.  (In Ontario, Canada lapband is still considered experimental so not covered by our government insurance and no private insurance covers weight loss surgery in Canada.)   Thank God I went and saw this surgeon who was sooo nice, respectful and had a ton of credentials.  Today almost 20 months after my lapband surgery I have gone from 251 lbs day of my surgery to 127 lbs. with only 1 lb. to reach my goal weight. I feel great, I look good and even though I am a revision I have had no problems with my band what so ever.  Oh yes I did have my band surgeon remove some scar adhesions on my abdomen that were causing me some pain nine months after being banded but recovered quickly from the day surgery.  The adhesions were a result of the past surgeries I have had including the above for weight loss and a tummy tuck and c section. Now while just taking a good multivitamin and calcium citrate supplement I can eat most anything I could before and still enjoy sweets etc. only I am satisfied with a lot less.   Regardless of what surgery you revise to make sure you realize all the possible ramifications and educate yourself and make sure you have a strong support network behind you and an excellent surgeon.  Most importantly remember that no matter what type of weight loss surgery you have this time around you need to deal with your underlying food addiction emotionally and not just rely on the surgery to fix it for best results.
Suzanna N.
on 12/15/07 11:03 pm - Ocala, FL
Nice Post! Suz
Keltic_Princess
on 12/16/07 12:39 am - Canada
I have a question you may be able to answer for me.In 1990 I to had VBG and am seeking to have gastric bypass.Did you find out anything re this?
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/07 12:53 am - Brampton, Canada
I never looked into having the RNY for myself because I wanted a surgery where I couldn't stretch out the pouch again.  With my band I can keep my good restriction by just going and getting a fill.  Certainly I do know other people I have met at a couple of weight loss surgery support groups I attend who are revisions to the RNY from the VBG.  Whatever surgeon you see for the gastric bypass will need to send you for tests to see how your stomach looks inside.  If you can get a hold of your past medical records pertaining to your VBG to bring to the consult that will help also. Good luck on your journey,
Ms Janet
on 12/16/07 7:43 am - Star City, NE
By the way, my surgeon refused to give me a lap band.  He told me that after the VBG, a lap band was not an option.  Like you, I wanted control over the restriction.  He convinced me, instead, to do the RNY.

Janet 

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/07 8:43 am - Brampton, Canada
That is interesting because my surgeon has done several VBG's to Lapband, maybe every surgeon has their comfort zone.  I know my surgeon did tell me that I had to have my surgery in the hospital in case when he opened me up he found that I had to be done open instead of lap.  He also said that even though he sent me for endoscopy, etc. ahead of time he could not guarantee giving me a lapband until he operated and saw my stomach up close.  I appreciated his honesty and feel fortunate he was able to band me.
Ms Janet
on 12/16/07 2:07 am - Star City, NE
I had a VBG in Dec 1992 and in June 2006 I had a revision to a RNY.  In my particular case, it was a nightmare.  I entered the hospital June 13, 2006 and did not leave until 445 days later - August 31, 2007.  I nearly died several times. Each person is different.  I know it has worked for others.  Make sure you have an experienced surgeon and listen carefully.  I don't want to discourage you, but for me personally, it was the worst thing I have ever been through.  I lost my job.  I cannot get health insurance or life insurance.  I still need at least one more surgery. Research thoroughly. Good luck!

Janet 

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/07 4:57 am - Brampton, Canada
Janet I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through.  Would you mind sharing what complications you encountered, was it a leak?  I wish you a full recovery and all the best in the future.
Ms Janet
on 12/16/07 7:41 am - Star City, NE
After my initial surgery, I had a leak.  In fact, there were 3 holes in my stomach.  They tried numerous times to fix them, but no luck.  I was transferred to another hospital and another surgeon, going through more surgery.  Long story short - they had to totally remove my stomach.  My esophagus is connected directly to my small intestine.  A big part of my problem was that I had so much surgeries in such a short amount of time.  The incision site was used so many times and became infected, so that it became a large open wound.  I eventually had a skin graft to cover the hole, but I still have a small hole and it has a fistula in it (the intestinal contents come through the fistula to the small hole in the abdomen and out the opening).  I have to wear a pouch as though I had a colostomy.  I will eventually have another surgery to repair that, but that can't be done till May or June. I was comatose a couple of times for several weeks; I nearly died several times.  It is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I hope nobody else ever has the same experience. Thanks for your reply, Donna.

Janet 

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/07 8:37 am - Brampton, Canada
Janet how terrible for you.  A lady in my support group had DS last April (a revision from VBG years ago) and she is still in the hospital 9 months later.  She ended up with complications too that I believe started with a leak (but not positive.)  She was in isolation for most of the time and is slowly starting to get her strength back.  She is going to be allowed out on Christmas for a few hours but doesn't know when she will be able to leave the hospital permanently.  I will keep you both in my prayers for a full recovery.
Most Active