Why I chose the DS and not anything else

KRWaters
on 12/14/07 10:05 am - Manteca, CA
I have a failed RnY and I wanted something permanent with no chance of yet another revision. I have chosen the DS. Read my profile with all the facts about the DS. I didn't trust the stomaphyx or Eros procedures as they were so new. The DS has been around for just about 20 years pioneered by Dr. Hess. A lot of studes have been done. In fact the gastric sleeve, the first part of the DS, is done in Europe just for people to get rid of their diabetes, and then the duodenal switch part (rerouting the intestines) is done with more malabsorption and a better chance of keeping the weight off. You have to remember, in no uncertain terms, that you must take all the vitamins required FOREVER. I can deal with that. I take vitamiins now for the RnY so I shall take a different bunch with the DS. I am excited. I don't have a date yet but with great anticipation, I will get a surgery date soon. Again, as far as diabetes goes (mine has returned with my weight gain) a greater than 98% cure rate, yet with the RnY only 75-80% remission rate. My original surgeon offered me the lapband or possibly a distal RnY. The lapband is a joke as far as I am concerned, and if I have to go distal, may as well go the whole shebang and get the DS. I failed once with the Rny; I didn't want another failure by going distal. So I have to travel a few hours to get to one of the best docs to have a DS, Dr. Keshishian in Delano, California. I am ready!

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

AttyDallas
on 12/14/07 7:11 pm - Garland, TX
 u go, girl!!!
attydallas_dblcentury.jpg picture by cmirving 

KRWaters
on 12/15/07 8:18 am - Manteca, CA
You are sweet. Did I say everything right in my post? When can we see a pic of the new you or even the old you too? Pictures tell a thousand words ya know.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

AttyDallas
on 12/15/07 10:33 am - Garland, TX
thanks, Karen ..  yes, you are VERY accurate in your post!    Just wish the whole world could learn about DS and all the advantages it offers, esp. to the Type II ciabetics out there (like I was) ..   as to pics, been working on that ..  I really don't have hardly any "before", since I hated seeing myself back then ..  (does my portrait @ 7 y.o. count?   lol)  ..  I'm wanting to get close to goal before doing any "afters" ..  Hopefully that day will still come along, and soon ..  !

KRWaters
on 12/15/07 11:28 am - Manteca, CA
Yes, my diabetes II has returned since I have gained weight back after RnY. I am so wanting to get rid of it once and for all. I looking forward to seeing what you look like. My avatar pic is 2 years old so I will be soon posting a new pic. My daughter took pictures of me the other day and she has to upload them, soon I hope.

Best to you Paul.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

AttyDallas
on 12/15/07 11:42 am - Garland, TX
 ahh new pics will be nice ..      Again on diabetes, you're right .. DS should do the trick for you there, for good ..  My surgeon - Dr. Antelmo - reported at our reunion in Atlanta earlier this year that his Type II patients had a 100% resolution rate (he has done over 700 DSes) after surgery, usually within the first two weeks ..   !   The theories range from the "bypassing of unknown gut hormones" achieved by the particular configuriations of the DS, to the fact that the reconfiguration creates a greater physical gap between the small intestine and the pancreas, thereb possiblyy preventing glucose from passing though the intestinal wall and "soaking" into the pancreas ..  Hopefully they'll have it figured out soon and maybe as a result come up with a simple, permanent cure for Type II as a result ..    Good luck on the upcoming surgery, Karen ..  who and when, if you know yet?

darnell239
on 12/15/07 7:16 am - Columbia, SC
Karen, I can understand why you chose the DS and how devastating it can be to fail a weight loss surgery.  You chose the revision that will work best for you and I wish you all the success in the world.  Keep the board updated on how everything turns out.
KRWaters
on 12/15/07 9:05 am - Manteca, CA
Thank you Darnell, and all my best to you too.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Most Active