EROS or Stomaphyx??? Same? or is one better?

Lisa N.
on 9/28/08 4:48 pm - Williston Park, NY
I had the stomaphyx on 9/18/08.  I just saw my surgeon ( Dr. Leitman)on Friday and I posed the question of wether or not he made the stoma smaller.  I had explained to him that people had been saying that in this type of surgery only the stomach is made smaller not the stoma.  He explained to me that he did make my stoma and stomach smaller.  He told me that he started at the stoma made that smaller and then worked his way up to the stomach where that was made smaller. He explained to me that he had to put in 36 fastners to make it very small.
lisa V.
on 1/27/09 2:34 am - canton, ga
Hi Lisa!

I would love to hear more about your stomaphyx experience!!  What insurance do you have??  What are the risks with this procedure (I have heard they are less that original WLS procedures)?  What are the fasteners made of and how long do they last??  What criteria make it a medical necessity?  Why did you have to spend the night in the hospital?  (I hear they can do it out patient - didn't know if you had complications, special reasons, or you doctor is just extra careful...)  How much do most folks lose with this??

THANKS!!

Lisa Vickers
FernTate
on 1/27/09 3:14 am
Please post how your are doing post stomaphyx, for those of us considering this procedure. 
Lisa N.
on 1/28/09 4:04 am - Williston Park, NY
 My name is Lisa and I had Stomaphyx on 9/18/08 I just saw my surgeon on 1/10/09 and I have lost 30 pounds.  I started at 236 lbs.  When I had my gastric bypass in 2003 I weighed 300 lbs and I lost 120 pounds before I started gaining the weight  back.  

I have GHI as insurance and they are very difficult to get this type of surgery approved.  I had to fight to have  my original bypass surgery approved and they almost didn't want to approve this surgery.  my surgeon has a fantastic office manager who went bat for me and got it approved two weeks before my surgery date.

The risks are the same for any type of surgery.  No, they are not cutting you open, but they are sticking a tube down your throat and filling you up with gas (I wish my surgeon would have told me about the gas part. I love my surgeon, but boy, I woke up in PAIN)  The fasteners are made out of plastic, I don't  know how long they last.  In order to get the surgery approved, they said that I has acid reflux, I was gaining the weight back very fast, my pouch had stretched, and I was having diarrhea.

When I had my surgery, It was going to be an out patient procedure.  My surgeon said he going try and keep me overnight.  After I came out of surgery, I was in a lot of pain from the gas and they were giving pain meds for that.  I was also very nauseous,  while I was in recovery, I started to throw up blood.  The doctor said it was from the anesthesia and the 36 fasteners that were put in which irritated my pouch and caused it to bleed.  My surgeon then said he was keeping me overnight.  I was finally brought up to a room at around 10:00 p.m.  As soon as I got in my bed I started throwing blood again.  It was very scary, b/c this did not happen, with my original surgery.
The one thing, I did notice, is that I was able to move around, unlike with my original surgery, when I could hardly stand up straight ( I had an open procedure)

I had finally stopped throwing up and my surgeon started me on clear liquids and jello.  That afternoon they discharged me.  I was told that I was to be on clear liquids, jello, and ice pops for 1 week.  Being on clear liquids was so hard. My head hunger was terrible.  I saw my surgeon the week after surgery and I had lost 9 pounds.  He then advanced my diet to soft foods.  I then saw him back in Oct and I lost another 11 pounds and he had me continue on soft foods.  When I saw him in on 1/10, I had lost a total of 30 pounds and he has advanced me to regular food.  I feel full when I eat.  I sometimes notice that when I am eating that get bored and I don't want to finish my food.  I am happy that I had this done.  It has given me a 2nd chance.

Gerry
on 2/27/09 8:53 pm - Grant, FL
Hi Lisa,
     I am sorry about the throwing up blood part but I am happy that you are having success. I am getting Stomaphyx next Thursday. How are you doing now? Still having results? Gerry
bleachmama
on 3/17/09 5:35 pm - TRENTON, NJ
Congrats Lisa!  I am glad you are doing so well thats a blessing!  Your story inspired me because I am gaining weight back from my orginal surgery six years ago and I am scared to death!  I dont EVER want to be back to my orginal weight.  I have been reading about the Stomaphyx and the ROSE and was trying to decide which is better.  I am going to see about getting a consult as soon as possible.  I pray I get approved because I cant continue like this.  So how are you doing now?

Bleachmama
Most Active