EROS or Stomaphyx??? Same? or is one better?

catbert
on 12/13/07 10:04 pm - MN
I read one thread regarding someone having the EROS on Dec 17th and her Mom had the Stomaphx.  I'm looking to see if there is anyone else that may have information regarding these two procedures.  I understand the difference between the two procedures (Stomaphyx - flat tool that pleats the tissue to make it smaller and ?? only does the stoma.  EROS - is a barrel tool that grabs the tissue from the stoma and makes pleats around it AND makes the pouch smaller). It seems the EROS would be better since it makes the pouch AND stoma smaller.  My doctor wants to do the Stomaphyx in January so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/07 5:06 am
Stomaphyx and EROS both do essentially the same thing...they BOTH reduce the stoma AND the pouch.   I don't know the differences specifically other than the tools that are used are manufactured by different companies.  The only procedure out there that I'm aware of that reduces only the stoma is the RESTORe procedure and that's only going through clinical trials right now.  It's not available yet to the public.  I believe EROS is still in clinical trials as well. 
SophieGrace
on 12/14/07 11:09 am - IL
Is the EROS with Dr. Herron in NYC?

I'd go with that one.  I consulted with him in Nov. and was deeply impressed.  Although I didn't qualify, he is my pick for a surgeon.   I'm trying to get cleared for my revision with him right now.

The stoma is not reduced with Stomaphyx despite the name.  There is no separate stitch to do this.  It simply pleats the stomach pouch.  If the stoma remains large, then you may still be able to eat larger amounts.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
ddam7
on 12/16/07 4:12 am - crystal lake, IL
What you are saying is not true. The stomaphxy absolutely  reduces the stoma as well as the stomach
nan c
on 12/20/07 11:28 am, edited 12/20/07 11:28 am - Brooklyn, NY
No, sorry to tell you, SophieGrace is right. Stomaphyx does NOT make the stoma smaller. I got that information from my surgeon, Dr. Holover, partner to Dr. Garber. They are two of the few doctors in New York doing Stomaphyx.
BeachPat
on 12/20/07 11:37 am
This is true. The Stomaphyx will shrink your pouch, but not the stoma, which is why it didn't work for me.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

ddam7
on 12/20/07 11:37 am - crystal lake, IL
Well,  i still disagree because i am having the surgery on Jan 22 with Dr Schlesinger in arizona. He was one of the first doctors to do the procedure. In my counceltation he reasured me that he makes the stoma very tight along with the stomach to get great results. Maybe your doctor does not do it that way.
JRinAZ
on 12/20/07 12:16 pm - Layton, UT

I think you can see video of closed stoma's; post stomaphyx.  www.endogastricsolutions.com  There is very little daylight  in the stoma zone following a stomaphyx. Dr. Overcash is having a stomaphyx tele-conference in a few days.  Maybe those interested could have him explain.  It's stil very new and the surgeon's who have been doing it the longest are finding positive results. Dr. Garber promotes stomaphyx on his website and at seminars as an "incisionless fix" for stomas.  If it didn't make stoma's smaller; I wonder why he continues to promote it? Dr. Schlesinger is known for his  aggressive stomaphyx.  He says it definitely makes the stoma smaller. There is a stompahyx training which will be ongoing in the Northwest for all the surgeon's who want to get certified.  A few surgeons' in the U.S. must think it's of value to their patients. Hopefully everyone can find the fix that is right for them.

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

FernTate
on 1/27/09 3:16 am
Do you know how to find out which central california WLSurgeons are certified in the stomaphyx procedure?
happy girl
on 12/22/07 12:47 am
Just to add my 2 cents, I spoke with 2 drs and both said the stoma and pouch would be reduced in size with the Stomaphyx.  It obviously pays to have a really long in depth conversation with the surgeon to be doubly sure of what you are getting

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Most Active