RESTORe Updates Please

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/07 2:51 am
Can we get the RESTORE folks to update? I had the tests and my stoma is over 2 cm.  My friend's stoma was not.  So just I am waiting to be scheduled for the procedure (or control procedure).
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/07 5:42 am
Hi Dani- Congratulations on qualifying!   Please keep us posted.   I had the RESTORe procedure done on November 6.  I've lost about 24 pounds and I'm feeling pretty good!  Of course the focus is on protein-at least 60 grams a day and I have no trouble getting that in.  Basically all that I'm eating is protein with an occasional few bites of something else.  The weight loss is really slowing down-it's nothing like with the RNY when you could step on the scale and almos****ch the weight go down in front of your eyes.   The hardest thing to do has been to retrain myself in the way I eat.  I needed to SLOOOOW down and chew chew chew.  For the past few years after my RNY surgery I was eating like everyone else...chew a few times and swallow.  I never really thought about it until the research nurse recently reminded me that we no longer have a stomach-we have a pouch.  Our pouches do not secrete gastric juices and break food down so digestion has to start in our mouths.   I try to stick to 3 "meals" but if I feel the need-if it's truly physical hunger I feel then I have something-usually it's a lite string cheese (60 cal) or a dannon lite n fit yogurt (also 60 cal) and I'm completely satisfied with that. I notice when I eat chicken-right now I'm only eating dark meat because it's moister-I fill up quickly.  Usually 1/2 of the meat from a roasted chicken thigh makes me feel satisfied.   I'm still technically just over 5 weeks out so it's early still but I'm happy with the results thus far!  I go back in next Fri Dec 21 for my 6 week checkup (mini physical) and they will also do another upper endoscopy at that point to see how the stitches are holding up.  They won't give me any information about the results of course because this is a clinical trial and theoretically I could be one of the "shams" or placebos that didn't have the procedure.   I know there are more poeple out there who are participating in the trial.  I hope we hear from you!
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/07 1:43 pm
You give me hope . . . the thought of feeling a restriction again . . . even if it's not like the initial RNY.
Betsy C.
on 12/13/07 5:42 am - Efland, NC
I don't have an update, just wanted to say I've at least gotten as far as going to Baltimore to have the assessments done.  Keeping my fingers crossed...
FIREMANTRB
on 12/15/07 3:13 am - OH
I talked to Sydney at the Cleveland Clinic. She says I qualify if my Endo comes back with the qualifing size of 2cm stoma.  I'm pretty confident that wont be a problem.  Does any one know how many have had the RESTORe (Sham or otherwise) at Cleveland Clinic? Just curious.
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/07 6:48 am
I have no idea how many procedures have been performed at the Cleveland Clinic but I believe they are set to perform 44 total.  I have my 6 week appt on Friday and I'll try and remember to ask her!
FIREMANTRB
on 12/15/07 9:17 am - OH
Thanks!  Have a great day!
Betsy C.
on 12/18/07 2:52 am - Efland, NC
My endo to check stoma size is scheduled for Jan 9th in Baltimore.  I'm trying to get all other assessments scheduled for same time period so I only have to make one trip up (from NC).  I'll update when I know more.  Betsy
Most Active