Rejected

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/07 4:16 pm
My friend and I both have gained close to the same amount of weight since our surgeries.  However, after having the tests for this study, we discovered that my stoma was enlarged and hers was not.  But her stomach pouch was enlarged and mine was not.  So we both gained weight, but the RESTORe procedure would not benefit us both.  She needs the Stomaphyx.
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/07 4:18 pm
And I forgot . . . at our hospital, they gave us photos from our endoscopes.  We could clearly compare our stomas and see what they told us.  And I know it's hard to hear . . . but you do not really want to have a procedure that may not even work for you.  Even if it is slight, there is a risk.
ShayZ
on 12/18/07 11:37 am - Somewhere, TX
Dani, I think the hardest part is that the coordinator couldn't even give me my measurements.  She was rushed because she was having surgery and the day she delivered my news was a her last in the office until the new year.   But u have given me the idea that one monkey don't stop no show; so I should call and see if someone else can forward me my results; after all my insurance paid for the dang test. Thanks for the inspriation.   Shay P.S. Are you going forward with the RESTORe? And is your friend getting a Stomaphyx?  I am not sure of the difference except now that I know that one is for the pouch and one for the stoma.  Can u help me figure it out?
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/07 12:56 pm
Shay, you should be able to get a copy of your endoscope results directly from the hospital's records department.  And you should ask about upcoming trials with other procedures.  Your hospital may or may not be having more or they may not be willing to discuss any if they are not finalized yet.  And, of course, there are other hospitals out there that do trials. When I first checked into the Stomaphyx, that surgeon did not seem to want to test me for anything.  He just wanted to go ahead after talking to me.  But, of course, it was ten thousand dollars out of pocket and my insurance says it is not medically necessary.  So then I discovered the RESTORe study and had the initial testing and endoscope.  And that is when that surgeon at that hospital actually talked about the difference between the Stomaphyx and the RESTORe procedure.  He said that the Stomaphyx pleated the stomach pouch and was for when the patient had an enlarged stomach pouch and not necessarily an enlarged stoma.  He said the RESTORe procedure sutured and plugged the stoma and was for the patient who had an enlarged stoma and not necessarily an enlarged stomach pouch.  Since you were told a day after you had the endoscope, there is the sincere possibility that your stoma is not what is enlarged.  Again, you should request a copy of the results . . . it's your medical record. I am going forward with the RESTORe . . . but I have hit a snag in that I am again anemic and have to get my iron level up before they will perform the procedure.  So I am working on that and I believe that if it is meant to happen, then it will happen.
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/07 1:05 pm
I should have probably said the surgeon said the RESTORe procedure sutured the stoma (and used little plugs of some sort to help hold those sutures).  Heaven forbid someone think I meant the stoma actually gets plugged.
JRinAZ
on 12/18/07 2:12 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there Dani, I know you were only repeating what your Restore surgeon told you but just to clarify in case anyone is confused.  Stomaphyx DOES indeed reduce the stoma (thus the reason it is called STOMA  Phyx (as in fix) and it does reduce the size of the pouch as well (if it is needed).  Small fasteners are used that might resemble teeny tiny versions of the plastic fasteners that attatch price tags to clothing. Good luck on your Restore procedure!  I look forward to having everyone share their "good news" results regardless of which fix they select! Merry Christmas!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

lizzythompson
on 12/17/07 4:35 am - Denton, TX
Shay,  I am waiting for my screening appointment for the rESTORE trial at Baylor. Jan 14th I go for paperwork and blood.  How long after your first appointment did you hear that you were rejected? Which one of the girls told you to go on a diet??  I have only ever talked to Laurie, but there is also Lupe's name on the voice mail and I also have her email address.  I have an appointment with Dr Provost on the 24th to see about a revision should I not be accepted into the trial. The more I read about revisions from RNY to DS the more I think that is the way I want to go. The more posts I read, the more I see that an enlarged stoma isn't an occasional problem. I had no idea it was this common to have the stoma blow wide open. You would think that if this is something that happens so (what seems like) easily, Surgeons would take more precautions to keep it from happening in the first place like reinforcing the stoma with mesh or some kind of band. I hope people who are just considering wls for the first time come to the revision forum to read up on some of the problems we have post op so they can avoid them altogether.
ShayZ
on 12/18/07 11:33 am - Somewhere, TX
Elizabeth do you mind if I contact you privately?   I first contacted the clinical trial two weeks or so before thanksgiving.  I remember because Lullaby already had her date.  I had my meetimg and blood work done the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and since I had seen another weight loss surgeon; I supplied them pics of my upper GI and some blood work.  So I did not have to wait as long as others.  I did not have my psych or my nutrition appt though which is a good thing.  At least I didn't waste my time telling my life story to yet another person, lol. Oh and to answer a previous question; they rejected me the morning right after my endascope...so essentially they hit up my insurance and I get the shaft (or lack thereof) anyway.  But no bitterness here.....
lizzythompson
on 12/18/07 1:15 pm - Denton, TX
Please do!!!  My email is [email protected]
Betsy C.
on 1/5/08 12:47 am - Efland, NC
Elizabeth - Just curious, have you had the [RESTORe] procedure yet?  I go for the endo next week to see if I qualify. Betsy

Lap RNY 5/7/03
I lost 50+ pounds of regained weight with hCG drops.

Most Active