Dr. says revision success not as good!!!

joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 11/21/07 7:29 pm - 128 Belt, MA
I am also a candidate for the lap band to RNY..need also to wait for an insurance change. I lost a lot with the band, but then couldn't  get the fill level right. When it was...about 3 weeks later or more I would then tighten up like a drum.Get an unfill, wait and then start again. Last time I went for an adjustment....from an unfill my port or band had a leak. Since I need surgery..I am going for the RNY.  I think its an issue of calories in and calories expended, so if I can control my hunger with the RNY, smaller portion sizes, smaller absorbsion I should initially loose weight. Then it will be me to keep the weight off with food management.  I wish you well. Joan
Brittwoman
on 11/21/07 11:50 pm - West Babylon, NY
I had a revision from Lapband to RNY on 10/1 and I am THRILLED that I did!! I'm down 26 lbs in just 7 weeks I went in as a true lightweight (217.5 lbs day of surgery) so I don't expect to lose large amounts in a short period of time! Any questions...feel free to PM me!

Jane
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/22/07 11:01 pm - Tuvalu
I revised from the LapBand to the DS and lost 54 pounds the first eight weeks. It's been two years since the revision and I'm still down over 100 pounds from surgery (and over 120 from my highest weight) and still (slowly) losing. Please visit us at the DS board...you'll meet several formerly banded people. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/ Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/23/07 1:23 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I believe there are some studies out there that do show that Lap-Band to RNY revisions lose slightly less than virgin RNYs... BUT, from what I can recall, it was not a significant difference.  I actually think that Lap-Band folks are much better prepared for life with an RNY, VSG, or DS because of their Lap-Band experience.  What other might see as a lot of restrictions on what they can eat, often seem great to Lap-Banders who deal with so many food intolerances, sliming, PBing, etc.  But hey, that is only my opinion. :) Every friend I"ve had who has revised to either a DS, RNY, or VSG has been very happy... and very successful.  I"m sure you will be as well. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/23/07 1:25 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Here is a study...
Surg Endosc. 2007 Aug;21(8):1388-92. Epub 2007 Mar 14.Click here to read Links

Laparoscopic revision from LAP-BAND to gastric bypass.

Spivak H, Beltran OR, Slavchev P, Wilson EB.

Department of Surgery, Park-Plaza Hospital, Houston, TX, USA. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: While the majority of patients achieve good outcomes with the LAP-BAND, there is a subset of patients who experience complications or fail to lose sufficient weight after the banding procedure. This study examines the feasibility and outcome of performing laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP) as a single-step revision surgery after a failed LAP-BAND procedure. METHODS: In the past five years we have performed more than 1400 LAP-BAND procedures. We laparoscopically converted 33 (30 females) of these patients (mean age = 43.8 years) from LAP-BAND to RYGBP because of inadequate weight loss and/or complications. Key steps in the revision procedures were (1) identification and release of the band capsule; (2) careful dissection of the gastrogastric sutures; (3) creation of a small gastric pouch; and (4) Roux-en-Y anterior colic anterior gastric pouch-jejunum anastomosis. Revisions took place at a mean 28.2 months (range = 11-46; SD = 11.3) after the original gastric banding. Change in body mass index (BMI) between pre- and postrevision was evaluated with paired t tests. RESULTS: Among the 33 patients who would undergo revision surgery, the mean BMI before the LAP-BAND procedure was 45.7 kg/m2 (range = 39.9-53.0; SD = 3.4) and the mean weight was 126 kg (range = 99-155; SD = 17). The lowest BMI achieved by this group with the LAP-BAND before revision was 39.7 kg/m2 (range = 30-49.2; SD = 4.9); however, the mean BMI at the time of revision was 42.8 kg/m2 (range = 33.1-50; SD = 4.8). The mean revision operative time was 105 min (range = 85-175), and the mean hospital stay was 2.8 days (range = 1-10). Complications included one patient who underwent open reoperation and splenectomy for a bleeding spleen and one patient *****quired repair of an internal hernia. After conversion to RYGBP, mean BMI decreased to 33.9 kg/m2 at 6 months (p < 0.001) and 30.7 kg/m2 (range = 22-39.6; SD = 5.3) at 12 months or more of followup (average = 15.7 months; p < 0.0001). CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopic conversion from LAP-BAND to RYGBP is safe and can be an alternative for patients who failed the LAP-BAND procedure. However, revision surgery is technically challenging and should be performed only by surgeons who have completed the learning curve for laparoscopic RYGBP.

PMID: 17356943 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/23/07 1:26 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Another one... :)
Obes Surg. 2006 Feb;16(2):137-41. Links

Revision of failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.

van Wageningen B, Berends FJ, Van Ramshorst B, Janssen IF.

Department of Surgery, Rijnstate Hospital, The Netherlands. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: The most common bariatric surgical operation in Europe, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB), is reported to have a high incidence of long-term complications. Also, insufficient weight loss is reported. We investigated whether revision to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP) is a safe and effective therapy for failed LAGB and for further weight loss. METHODS: From Jan 1999 to May 2004, 613 patients underwent LAGB. Of these, 47 underwent later revisional Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP). Using a prospectively collected database, we analyzed these revisions. All procedures were done by two surgeons with extensive experience in bariatric surgery. RESULTS: All patients were treated with laparoscopic (n=26) or open (n=21) RYGBP after failed LAGB. Total follow-up after LAGB was 5.5+/-2.0 years. For the RYGBP, mean operating time was 161+/-53 minutes, estimated blood loss was 219+/-329 ml, and hospital stay was 6.7+/-4.5 days. There has been no mortality. Early complications occurred in 17%. There was only one late complication (2%)--a ventral hernia. The mean BMI prior to any form of bariatric surgery was 49.2+/-9.3 kg/m2, and decreased to 45.8+/-8.9 kg/m2 after LAGB and was again reduced to 37.7+/-8.7 kg/m2 after RYGBP within our follow-up period. CONCLUSION: Conversion of LAGB to RYGBP is effective to treat complications of LAGB and to further reduce the weight to healthier levels in morbidly obese patients.

PMID: 16469213 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/23/07 1:27 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Last one I'll post.. but there's more online..
Obes Surg. 2004 Nov-Dec;14(10):1349-53. Links

Laparoscopic conversion of laparoscopic gastric banding to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a review of 70 patients.

Mognol P, Chosidow D, Marmuse JP.

Service de chirurgie générale A, CHU Bichat-Claude Bernard, Paris, France.

BACKGROUND: The feasibility and outcomes of conversion of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) to laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGBP) was evaluated. METHODS: From November 2000 to March 2004, all patients who underwent laparoscopic conversion of LAGB to LRYGBP were retrospectively analyzed. The procedure included adhesiolysis, resection of the previous band, creation of an isolated gastric pouch, 100-cm Roux-limb, side-to-side jejuno-jejunostomy, and end-to-end gastro-jejunostomy. RESULTS: 70 patients (58 female, mean age 41) with a median BMI of 45+/-11 (27-81) underwent attempted laparoscopic conversion of LAGB to an RYGBP. Indications for conversion were insufficient weight loss or weight regain after band deflation for gastric pouch dilatation in 34 patients (49%), inadequate weight loss in 17 patients (25%), symptomatic proximal gastric pouch dilatation in 15 patients (20%), intragastric band migration in 3 patients (5%), and psychological band intolerance in 1 patient. 3 of 70 patients (4.3%) had to be converted to a laparotomy because of severe adhesions. Mean operative time was 240+/-40 SD min (210-280). Mean hospital length of stay was 7.2 days. Early complication rate was 14.3% (10/70). Late major complications occurred in 6 patients (8.6%). There was no mortality. Median excess body weight loss was 70+/-20%. 60% of patients achieved a BMI of <33 with mean follow-up 18 months. CONCLUSION: Laparoscopic conversion of LAGB to RYGBP is a technically challenging procedure that can be safely integrated into a bariatric treatment program with good results. Short-term weight loss is very good.

PMID: 15603650 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Flor_Bellas
on 11/26/07 9:28 am - Miami, FL
Sami, thank you sooooo much for your links.  There is good info here.  Being a future psychologists I do a lot, but I mean a lot of research and finding reliable and credible information is a plus.  Thank you sooo much again.  Hugs.
ocgurl143
on 11/24/07 9:53 am - anaheim, CA
I am also proof that an RNY can be "over eaten". I had an RNY in Nov 2001 and have gained back all the 100lbs I had lost in 6 years. i was however pregnant and anemic during my pregnancy so i had to be on bed rest for 9 months ! Its no excuse but am looking forward to my revision. I am also self pay until Jan 2008 when my PPO kicks in. Keep us posted on your progress !!
slugworth
on 11/25/07 2:45 pm - Stanwood, WA
Have you looked into the Mini Gastric Bypass?
Most Active