Dr. says revision success not as good!!!

Flor_Bellas
on 11/18/07 11:53 am - Miami, FL
I just went for an evaluation on Thursday (Nov. 15) for an evalution on revision from Lap-Band to RNY.  He started off by saying that in his practice he has noticed that revisions have not had as good results as someone just getting the RNY.  He said it was not impossible to achieve results, just that more fell on me to make it a success.  He also said that they did not know if the lack of success was due to hormonal changes or behavioral, but that I had to get my head on straight (behavioraly) to make this round a success. I want to know who has had a revision from Lap-Band to RNY and what your experience has been.  I'd also like to know if anyone can tell me what the successess and failures are with this type of revision.  Or just plain anything about revision from Lap-Band to RNY. Thanks for reading!

Maria a.k.a. Tinker Bell's mentorTinker Bell
HW ~ SW ~ CW ~ GW
301.5 ~ 290~ 172~ 130
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

JROLFSON
on 11/19/07 4:43 am - St. George, UT
Hi: If you only have one shot, you might want to check on revision to DS (Duadenal Switch) as well. The successes to DS have been major. But if all you have had so far is a Lab Band that means you have a virgin stomach which should do well with an RNY. But again, as the doctor said, you really have to make the surgery work for you. Not as much with the DS. I do believe you wil lose substantial weight, depending on how much weight you have to lose. Good Luck....Check all your options. JRolfson
charleston-mom
on 11/19/07 10:43 pm
I had a revision from lapband to RNY on 8/23/07. I am finding there is no comparison whatsoever in the two surgeries. RNY is SO MUCH better! I am not hungry, not battling with my band (which almost ended my life due to erosion). I was 228 at the time of surgery and am 176 - 3 months later. I've lost 52 pounds in less than 3 months.

Go for it!

P.S. I think what your doctor was trying to tell you is that you can "outeat" any surgery, including RNY. You have to really try to get your head on straight and decide if you really want to make a lifestyle change. My father was a surgeon and had a patient who out-ate her RNY by drinking gallons and gallons of milk. Any surgery is just a tool. However, there is absolutely no comparison between lapband and RNY. RNY if FAR superior - from someone that has had both.
Flor_Bellas
on 11/21/07 3:27 pm - Miami, FL
Hi Charleston-mom, I'm grateful for your reply.  I personally know two people who have gone to my doctor and have had great success, but they were first timers.  Your results are awesome and I can identify with you because the Band didn't work for you either.  Keep up the good work.  I've had a few people on OH suggest other surgeries but something doesn't seem right about those surgeries for ME. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have erosion...or at least I don't think I do.  I'm going in the next few days for my upper GI and my psych evaluation.  I'm mostly self-pay for now until insurance kicks in January 1st at which time we'll decide on a date.  Thanks for taking the time to let me know your experience.  Happy Thanksgiving.
slugworth
on 11/21/07 5:01 pm - Stanwood, WA
I would suggest you go to youtube and look at the many lap band patients that have been converted to the mgb from lap band. Search for lap band mgb. it is very interesting. I had it done and love it.
Flor_Bellas
on 11/21/07 3:20 pm - Miami, FL
Flor_Bellas
on 11/21/07 3:29 pm - Miami, FL
Flor_Bellas
on 11/21/07 3:31 pm - Miami, FL
On November 19, 2007 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Hi: If you only have one shot, you might want to check on revision to DS (Duadenal Switch) as well. The successes to DS have been major. But if all you have had so far is a Lab Band that means you have a virgin stomach which should do well with an RNY. But again, as the doctor said, you really have to make the surgery work for you. Not as much with the DS. I do believe you wil lose substantial weight, depending on how much weight you have to lose. Good Luck....Check all your options. JRolfson
Hi JRolfson, Thank you for your reply.  I've had a couple of people here tell me to consider the sleeve and DS.  I have to lose minimum 100 pounds, 130 would be ideal for my height, I'm 5' 1 1/2", but want to wait till I get to 150 before I decide if I want to go to 130.  I'm leaning more towards RNY because I don't want to have most of my stomach removed as with the sleeve and DS just doesn't convince me.  I'm researching all my options...but thank you for taking your time to respond.  Have a  Happy Thanksgiving.
BeachPat
on 11/21/07 5:26 pm
I've been doing research too and the results of the DS are impressive. However, there is no surgeon in my provider list who will do it and I just self-paid for the (failed) stomaphyx so I have to have insurance pay for any revision. I have an appt. with a surgeon in Dec. who says I am a "candidate" for a revision (my original RYN was 10 years ago and I still have over 100 lbs. to lose).  I also think the DS is more drastic but I might have considered it were it not for the financial cost.  If it turns out the surgeon will not do a revision, I will definitely reconsider it.....
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 11/23/07 1:29 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I think I just read that Dr. Overcash has started to do the DS.  If not, Dr. Gagner will be in Miami as of early 2008.  Also, there's a Dr. Smith in Marietta, GA who does the DS.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active