Revision with BMI under 35

darnell239
on 10/23/07 9:20 am - Columbia, SC
Shay, I know exactly what you are going through.  I'm in the same boat.  Your BMI is 33 if I was you I would gain 10 lbs to boost up my BMI to 35 and document any commorbidities you may have.  I know you don't want to gain weight but what is 10 more pounds if it can mean the difference in getting a revision.  I know Mexico is a popular place to go but if you are like me no money for that.  Unless, you are willing to take out a loan.  There are some other procedures being mentioned on this forum such as the stomaphx but from what I am hearing there is not a lot of success with that procedure.  There is also the procedure called the EROS which is being discussed right now on this forum.  You can check those out.  I don't know if you want to consider a lapband over your bypass.  There are pro's and con's to the lapband.  Check out all your options!
KRWaters
on 10/23/07 4:51 pm - Manteca, CA
I hope you all will consider checking out the DS forum here on OH. The duodenal switch surgery is not done as often as the RnY, but after being on that forum for 4 months, I am going to have the DS, a revision from RnY. I found out from my doctor in Delano, California, Dr. Ara Keshishian that 55% of people who have the RnY will gain a good portion of their weight back. He says the lapband is a laughing joke and not to get that at all. For the DS you may have to travel to another state to get it done as there are not that many surgeons who do the DS. Also, read the duodenalswitch.com site. Read my profile and in it I say why I choose the DS over the other options. This seems like the way to go and the best way to live.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Debbie D.
on 10/23/07 11:34 pm - phoenix, AZ
Karen, I did think about the DS but my surgeon doesn't use that procedure.  I really trust him and feel more comfortable going with the original surgeon since this is a more risky surgery.  The hospital here that he works out of is much older.   I think it was the first in Phoenix but is a Center of Excellence so I feel as much at ease as possbile. 
ShayZ
on 10/24/07 12:56 am - Somewhere, TX
I have been reading everything you guys have posted.  It is weird, I spoke to a woman last night who had a revision because her band failed (mark one for the DS) and she has had a RNY revision.  I was telling her my issues with RNY and I have to be honest they weren't many at all.  I am beginning to think that may be part of the problem.  I can tolerate almost anything and there are not the reprecussions there were 3 or 4 years ago.  I remember when I couldn't get anything but half a meal down; well I learned to graze on it instead of throwing it away....I say all of this to say that I am still going to the appointment with Dr. Smith, since he deign meet with me, lol.  But DS does sound like that should have been the way to go.   And I briefly considered gaining the weight to get to a BMI of 35 and if that happens on its own then I will definitely look into DS surgeons and it breaks my heart that I can't have it done in the comfort of my backyard.  I am not ruling anything out but as I was told last night go back to the basics; its either that or pray for a compromised pouch b/c that is the only way it looks like I am going to be able to get this done.  Is it just me or does something seem very wrong with that scenario?  Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't....
ShayZ
on 10/25/07 7:50 am - Somewhere, TX
Okay, today was step one and I think i failed.  I saw the psychologist today and she really harped on going back to the basics  and I have been trying to do that.  I have upped my protein and cut out the ****tail I used to have and I am trying to remember how I used to eat after the surgery.  She made a comment that makes me think that my troubles are just starting if I persue this revision (note: nothing is totally ruled out), she said that I don't "look" like I weigh 200lbs.  Well I felt a need to correct her because I don't weigh 200 lbs, I weigh 210.8lbs (not trying to be neurotic about it or anything).  After that statement she said, I think you just need to eat better in order to loose the weight.   Y'all it was like a flash back.  How many times did I hear that when I was over 411lbs?  If you ate better, exercised more, cut out everything, then you would lose weight.  The killer part is that she is a lap band patient.  Maybe I am taking it wrong but I don't have a good feeling about this.  
darnell239
on 10/25/07 11:39 am - Columbia, SC
Shay, your nutritionist is right if you do all right things you will loose the weight.  However, do to the fact that most wls patients struggle with doing the right thing and are sick of diets.  It is easy for people to past judment and give advice.  I think you need to stop seeing that nutritionist and concentrate on having a revision.
ShayZ
on 10/26/07 8:33 am - Somewhere, TX
My appointment with the Dr. is Tuesday.  Wish me luck, y'all, I'm goin in....
ShayZ
on 10/31/07 2:55 pm - Somewhere, TX
Hey, didn't you see your surgeon today? I hope all went well.   Shay
darnell239
on 10/31/07 3:35 pm - Columbia, SC
Shay, Yes, I did go see the surgeon for a consult today.  He thinks I should have a lap band placed over my bypass.  He doesn't think I should do anything more invasive upon my body since I have had a gastric bypass previous.  He told me that he wants to discuss my situation with the other surgeon in the office (he has never placed a lapband over a previous bypass).  However, I do feel that he is competent to perform this.  Right now I am playing the waiting game.
shelbymomof3
on 11/21/07 2:24 am - wahiawa, HI
I think you responded to a post i had a few weeks ago. I saw my Dr yesterday. He has done 2 sclerotherapy injections with no success. We discussed the lap band and DS. I had open RNY and do not have enough stomache to do DS.  my stomache has not stretched so I am going with moving how much gets absorbed. originally 120 cm was bypassed. I have a date for surgery. Jan 7 is the big day. I am so nervious. I had only lost 40 pounds with the 1st  surgery. I dont know how much more of this I can take.  Thanks- Shelby 
Most Active