Revision with BMI under 35

ShayZ
on 10/23/07 3:40 am - Somewhere, TX
I am a little disappointed.  I have consulted a few doctors in my area and one turned me down for a revision sight unseen because my BMI is 33.  I tried to explain that I have not changed my eating habits but am picking up weight at an alarming rate.  For instance, I joined WW and had weigh in last Wednesday.  Without changing what I ate significantly I GAINED 7.8 lbs!  That is 27, 300 calories extra that I would have had to intake in 7 days.  That is almost impossible and there was no bingeing at all...but I digress.  What I really want to know that if anyone has had a revision done with a BMI under 35 and if so was it covered by insurance.  I am panicking here folks, I feel like I am drowing in my own fat and I don't know how to come up for air. Shay
SophieGrace
on 10/23/07 4:44 am - IL
Shay: After eight successful years post-RNY, I began gaining weight 28 months ago.  Now I'm up 80 POUNDS! My current insurance does not pay for any type of WLS.  Up until recently, no surgeon would talk to me (my original surgeon retired about the time I began regaining the weight).  So I am considering self-pay in Mexico.  Fortunately, I have the money. Have you spoken with your original surgeon?  Is he/she available?  I would be going straight back to mine if he were available.
ShayZ
on 10/23/07 5:32 am - Somewhere, TX

Unfortunately I have moved several times and my original surgeon is in Ohio and I am in Texas.  Plus there is the little fact that Dr. Price told me over and over again; that he would "undo" the surgery before he revised it if I started putting the weight back on. 

I am shocked (and a little discouraged) that you are 8 years out and started picking up weight.  I am trying to head it off at the pass but nothing seems to be working.  I don't think I can self pay but I may have to start looking into it.   You said that no one would talk to you, have you only been able to get in contact with doctors in Mexico?  Do you mind if I ask what your BMI is?

SophieGrace
on 10/23/07 8:19 am - IL
Shay: My BMI is 35.5.  Although I carry it extremely well, and people don't believe I weigh this much, I'm packing 220 lbs. on a 5'6" frame.  What frightens me is that it could go still higher.  I'm already experiencing trouble walking (I have to climb a lot of stairs on my job as a teacher) due to foot, ankle and knee problems.  Weight gain happens in some of us, even after several years.  I was discouraged as all get-out as well, but nothing will change the eight wonderful thin years I had, and I wouldn't change much.  But my addictive personality lead me back into emotional eating, the stoma became stretched, and I think it's time for a revision.  Other U.S.-based doctors will now talk to me, since revision has become big business.  This was not always the case before the revisions caught on.  I, too, tried to head off my weight gain, but it did not work.  I'm still confused as to how it could all happen, but there's no point in agonizing over it.  All I can do is take it for what it is and try to seek out information on revision. My medical insurance says "no weight-loss surgery," so revisions are probably going to be denied.  Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta has performed many surgeries for people here on OH, and he and his staff get rave reviews.  Some of the folks who've gone to him are R.N.'s and they say they have no hesitation recommending him.  I'm talking with a member of his staff right now. It's a bit of a battle, but I know that it's my health at stake here.  I tend not to take "no" for an answer, so I'm going to exhaust every possible opportunity before I pay out of pocket.  But I'm also prepared to do that.
Debbie D.
on 10/23/07 10:55 am - phoenix, AZ
Shay, This sounds so familiar.  I am exactely the same weight and height as you.  I had my original RNY in December 2001.  I am scheduled for a revison to my RNY on Nov 2nd here in Phoenix.   I lost 90lbs and have gained 25 back.  I insisted they do a scope to see if anything has gone wrong and my pouch is stretched just a little.  They didn't think enough to cause weight gain.  However, they did find that due seeing bile that I could have a minor blockage.  Also they noticed as they put it significent "reflex".  This was a major surprise to me since I haven't taken a rolaids or tums etc... since my surgery in 2001.  My insurance is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of GA.  They approved my revison in less than a week.  Now that I'm approved I'm so paniced about the surgery that I'm ready to back out.  I keep thinking about all the "what if's"   Let me know if you have any questions and maybe I can help.  Keep me in your prayers as my surgery is approaching very soon. Debbie
darnell239
on 10/23/07 12:04 pm - Columbia, SC
Debbie, Since you had an RNY in 2001you say you are having another RNY.  What exactly are they going to do in your revision?
Debbie D.
on 10/23/07 12:29 pm - phoenix, AZ
Darnell, I'm really bad and most think I haven't asked enough questions.  I really trust my doctor so I've just moved forward.  My understanding is that RNY surgery has changed dramatically over the last few years and they do things just a bit different than before.  If I understand correctly they will be changing the common channel limb length and the alimentary limb length.  Which this more than likely will cause more malasourption (spelling) and they will adjust the somta.   I had my original surgery LAP and they think they will be able to do the revision the same way.  I really do not want an open because of the healing time.
Debbie D.
on 10/23/07 12:33 pm - phoenix, AZ
I see you are planning a revison.  What are they going to do for you?
darnell239
on 10/23/07 8:48 pm - Columbia, SC
Debbie, I have a 1st consultation on Oct 31st.  I'm going to hear what the doctor has to say.  I was thinking about having the lapband placed over the previous surgery but I am leaning against that.  I don't like the idea of the high maintenance of the lapband.  At the least I would like to have my pouch tighten up and be bypassed some more.
JROLFSON
on 10/24/07 1:47 am - St. George, UT
Shay: I know where you are coming from and I don't know what your ability is to travel but Dr. Schlessinger in Arizona is doing revisions and I'm not sure but, I believe he would consider you even if your BMI is 33. He understands that once you begin to gain weight, that there is a possibly of no turning back. He does many different procedures and possibly you would be a good candidate for one of them. Also, there is a clinical trial going on in New York one I believe at Cedars Sinai and one at another hospital in New York who are doing procedures to shrink the pouch and stoma. They are done endoscopically and require no surgery just general anesthesia. They are called EROS and Stomaphyx. You might try getting involved in the Clinical Trial because they are free to the participant. This is what I am currently trying to do. Good Luck Janie
Most Active