Sphyx follow up with Dr. O -disappointed

Shelley S.
on 10/22/07 7:48 pm - Belmont, CA

Thanks for all your honesty here.  I'm also a dissatisfied Stomaphyx patient.  I've learned a lot though: - My Dr (Wetter in SF Bay area) also made huge promises of great support post-op.  Hasn't happened although I haven't reached out to him after my 1 week follow up where I learned he wasn't surprised that it hadn't worked completely for me.  He wants to just go in again and do more.  Janelle - like you, my pouch wasn't very big (although not as small as yours), so he didn't want to do too much fastening for fear of damaging the esophagus.  I feel like now that he knows I'm not a model patient, I don't matter.  My insurance did pay part (about 80% of the $8k surgeon and anesthesiologist fees, hospital hasn't gone through yet).  My surgeon seems to think it's no big deal to do it again because he can just bill my insurance again.  I think this is about money. - as for diet, I was advised by the surgeon and nutritionist 3 meals a day, no snacking, 50g proteing, low to no carbs.  I'd do it if I could.  I still have sugar and carb cravings that feel out of control and I have no problems with dumping. - one good thing came out of this.  I was having severe hunger "pains" in my tummy - or so I thought.  When I told my Dr I was still having them after Stomaphyx, he said maybe it's acid coming up from my bypasses stomach.  My RNY was very proximal, so it isn't far for the acid to travel up to my pouch.  Since I've never had heartburn/reflux, I never thought about acid.  He gave me a prescription antihistimine acid med and that pain has gone away.  It used to wake me in the middle of the night and I'd think i was hunger and eat.  The eating was actually just neutralizing the acid.  So, if you have that pain - see about getting a prescription.  It's helped me cut down on the snacking. - I have slight restriction over what I had before and I still can't eat a huge meal.  Any fullness I feel passes quickly though.  I've lost 10-14 lbs (fluctuates a lot) in the first 4 weeks.  I attribute that more to the gym and liquid diet.  I may continue to lose slowly, but like Pat and Tina, I have more than a few pounds to lose and will likely need something more if I ever want to get near "goal".  Let's all keep discussing this. thanks, Shelley P.S. - Tina, sorry I never got back to your email.  Work has been insane!

tina01
on 10/23/07 6:48 am - Wilmington, DE
Hey Gang,  I made another phone call to the office.  Yes, I know he's busy.  I did relay my concerns about falling through the cracks... and not having anyone to follow up with.  I was assured that he does care about ALL of his patients and that he would get back to me.  I had new labs done and there some things out of range that I'm concerned about.  Guess I'll wait ever so patiently and see what happens.  I am still hoping that my initial opinion of him will be correct.  I really thought he was knowledgeable, intelligent and was absolutely concerned in helping me.  I want it to be so... I'll update :-) Tina
william O.
on 10/24/07 9:41 am - ocala, fl
Dear Tina: This is Dr. Overcash and I am very sorry that I have not returned your call.  WIth all of my out of town patients I like to deal one on one with you.  I was in Europe from the 8th until the 15 training on a new procedure for GERD/Heartburn.  The week before that we were rushing to clear my schedule and once in Europe my training schedule was so hectic that I was run down and Last week and most of this week I have been recovering from exhaustiona and the flu. I can assure you that I have tried to get to your message for the last 48 hours and have simply been overwhelmed by being sick and tired.  I can assure you that you will hear from me tomorrow. Madeline in most cases interacts one on one with the patients in an attempt to help me.  However, at anytime, any patient can simply say:  I want to talk to Dr. Overcash and I will be glad to help you. Thanks Dr. Overcash
Shelley S.
on 10/25/07 4:32 pm - Belmont, CA
Tina, I hope you actually got a call from Dr. O.  I don't know him, but I question whether that is really him posting.  If it is, it seems it would have been a lot more appropriate for him to spend his time calling you or emailing you privately rather than posting all his excuses on a public board.  These Drs need to realize weight loss surgery affects us in every aspect of our lives - physical, emotional, financial, spiritual, relational, etc .  So, feeling like we don't have their support when we've been promised it is just another disappointment.  We trusted them when they had only a handful of procedures completed because of all the promises.  Now yours has no time to call you and mine just wants to "go in again" at my cost.  I think we need to be vocal about how we feel.  This can be a financial and emotional drain for some people. I hope you are getting the support you need now.  I also hope the surgeons will focus on truly helping their patients, not trying to drum up business by taking advantage of people desperate to get help in a battle with obesity. ~Shelley
tina01
on 10/27/07 3:07 pm - Wilmington, DE
So if anyone is still following this saga, I did get a call from Dr. O, Friday afternoon, 10/26. I asked him if he posted the note above to me, he said no, he did not.
darnell239
on 10/28/07 10:13 am - Columbia, SC
Tina, glad you finally heard from Dr. Overcash.  I can't believe someone would actually pretend to be him on this forum.  That is fraud and I think you need to report this incident.  I start worrying when someone is fradulently posting information and comments under someone's identity.
Most Active