Pre-Op Liquid Phase---Ughh Struggling...

JOlmos
on 10/17/07 3:09 am - Houston, TX
Hi...I'm scheduled for a RNY revision from a VBG on Oct. 29....I started the carnation liquid pre-op diet as instructed - started last week and now absolutely have to do it for the 14 days before surgery BUT i'm slightly struggling...I find it so very hard to stay focus on it.  I don't want to set myself up for any complications in having the surgery laproscopic.....Did anyone else go through this awful withdrawal?   Any words of wisdom will be so helpful!

m.espoir
on 10/17/07 10:44 am - NJ
Hi, I am in the same liquid hell right now too! My doc requires the same thing, and I am an open surgery! I did not have to do any of this in 2003 when I got the band. For the next 12 days I gotta do it, and I am weak, and feel sick all the time, and SO tired. I have been instructed only 3 protein shakes a day (made with like 16 oz of water). I cant even use milk! I am starving to the point where I have a dull headache constantly. It is hard for me to do my work. I am SCARY irritable. (I am NEVER irritable!****ep saying "I dont know how I'm gonna do this..." But then I think, I know I would do anything to have this surgery. So, I just remind myself of that. ANYTHING. Here are some tips....Firstly, make sure to add a handfull of ice to the water, and always mix in a blender or magic bullet. Try to use some protein shakes instead of always the carnation. I also "slip" a tiny bit of raspberry or coconut syrup in there (wooops!) and a couple of spoons of Splenda. Every once in a while, a small teaspoon of instant coffee falls into my chocolate flavor! (wooops!) Also, maybe a slice or 2 of banana. Sugar free icepops are in my freezer ready for any meltdown. I'm sure I will have at least one! Also, there are many 0-5 cal flavored waters you can get to sip. I am not a huge fan of them, but at this point, I am DESPERATE. Even if they dont carry them at your local supermarket, search online, and you can get some shipped to you: FRUIT 2 O "relax" tropical fruit blend, FUEL 2 O Raspberry Kick, CRYSTAL LIGHT strawberry Kiwi. Chew gum too, unless it makes you feel more hungry. Good luck, I think I might go faint now.....!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

JOlmos
on 10/19/07 2:01 am - Houston, TX
thanks for the advise.  i did my pre-op yesterday.  it's seem everything is a go...10 days to go!!!!  i feel a bit more motivated since the orientation etc....so i'm hyped and ready to shed this weight!!!

Most Active