Enlarged outlet anyone ??

Susie221
on 10/16/07 7:44 am - UK
I posted last week ,after having had the endescope investigation, and my outlet was too big and stomach large as well Which I sort of knew as I have been able to eat quite a bit from a few weeks out, and never had much in the way of restriction either...  Would like to hear from others who have had this and  if so what was the outcome ? what did your surgeon suggest  to correct the problem ?  And after having the revision did you manage to lose more weight ? The new surgeon I saw suggested a band, but thats not something I fancy having done  Susie x
darnell239
on 10/16/07 7:55 am - Columbia, SC
Susie, You should look into having the stomaphx.  The procedure has been discussed a lot on this forum.
BeachPat
on 10/16/07 11:37 am

I had my RNY in 1997, staple line disruption repair in 2001 and the stompahyx procedure this summer (it did not work for me). (I have kept off 85 lbs. or so, but still have 100 to lose.)  I feel I need a full revision of the surgery, so I had an appointment with a local weight loss surgeon today. It was very upsetting. He feels that another surgery  is too risky and clearly implied he also thought I would not be committed to making the permanent lifestyle changes required. He certainly made me feel that I had failed and not the surgeries. He did agree to have me get an upper G.I.  and then see him again in a week. He will look at the results (see what my insides look like and how fast the food is emptying from my pouch) and then make a decision about further sugery. I was not encouraged, but I just don't want to give up because one surgeon says no.  (Have any of you had to get multiple referrals from your doctor before you found a willing surgeon?)Discouraged, Pat

RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

Shelley S.
on 10/16/07 2:20 pm - Belmont, CA
Pat, Please don't be discouraged.  Stomaphyx doesn't work for everyone.  I had high hoped of feeling some restriction, but it's been almost a month now, I'm eating solids and have very little restriction.  When I saw my surgeon post-op I asked why he wasn't more aggressive during the procedure.  He knew he hadn't made my stoma very small becasue he did not have a lot of pouch to work with.  His answer was that he could go back in and try to do more and that a "live problem is better than a dead certainty."  He had been afraid to add additional fastners because he didn't want me to have complications from it being tight or from it pulling too close to my espohagus.  He seemed so casual about just going in again.  I'm frustrated!  I can eat anything.  I just got back from a business trip to Vegas and learned I tolerate steak and everything else.  No pain, no problem. Bottom line, the surgeries DO fail us.  Yes, I don't have the best eating habits, but I shouldn't be able to eat a cup of steak, vegetables and salad without fullness.   I'd see another Dr if you can. ~Shelley
darnell239
on 10/16/07 8:56 pm - Columbia, SC
How about seeing if you can have a lap band placed over your stomach?  I don't know if it will work but you could check into it.
Janelle S.
on 10/17/07 10:50 am - Metairie, LA
My stoma was overdilated when I developed a stricture 3 months post RNY. I was recently evaluated for the StomaphyX procedure. I did a lot of research before I chose a doctor who I felt had the experience and integrity I needed in order to be able to trust him. After having an UGI and endoscopy he determined that my pouch was too small for the StomaphyX procedure to work. He felt I would be wasting my time and money having it done. He is going to keep me posted on new developments that may be more appropriate for me. While I was very disappointed (I thought this was going to be my miracle!) I appreciate this doctor's opinion and honesty. I think he has my best interest at heart. There were other doctors who I consulted with who were very anxious to take my money. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that there are some very disappointed customers out there. My advise to you is research, research, research. Good luck, Janelle

jonathan R.
on 10/18/07 12:55 pm - east meadow, ny
You should look into the stomaphyx procedure.  I had it done over 3 months ago and already lost about 45 pounds.  I had the same exact problem of you.  I agree with the other posts that you need to choose the right surgeon.  My surgeon Dr. Garber said he has done the most in the US so far.  email me with any questions.
SophieGrace
on 10/25/07 4:27 am - IL
Stomaphyx is for an enlarged pouch, not an enlarged stoma. Currently, there are two procedures which are being tested to reduce the size of the stoma:  the EROS and the RESTORe. Each of those reduces the stoma.  The EROS also reduces the size of the pouch.
JRinAZ
on 10/29/07 10:26 am - Layton, UT
Hi there SophieGrace! You said, "Stomaphyx is for an enlarged pouch, not an enlarged stoma." StomaphyX is actually an amazing procedure that not only addresses the size of the pouch but is specifically intended to reduce the size of the stoma.....thus the name "STOMA - Phyx (fix)"..... It is done endoscopically (through the mouth) where a pincher type device delivers little fasteners to "gather" or "pleat" the area.  A row is made closely to the stoma to make the opening very small and then it is pulled up to make a circular row in the pouch; gathering it up and reducing the size.  Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix has become very aggressive with his technique and is actually puting in as many rows as the pouch size warrants and will allow. The goal is to reduce the pouch size which restricts the food intake and reduce the opening (stoma) which keeps the food in longer, thus providing extended satiety. Hope that helps those who may have questions.  BUT...if you have more questions or are just a tad interested in hearing other's questions regarding StomaphyX, then you can dial in to a LIVE, Free, phone chat with Dr. Eric Schlesinger.  It is sponsored by Obesity Help.  They will be announcing the time and registration directions on this Revision forum.  Stay tuned! It was done a couple of weeks ago and dozens of people from across the U.S. had a very open and informative dialogue with Dr. Schlesinger.  Bo McCoy from O.H. was the moderator.  Stay tuned!  :)
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active