What is your opinion about the lap band

darnell239
on 10/13/07 5:39 am - Columbia, SC
This question is for people who have a lap band, had a lap band or know someone with a lap band.  I've heard a lot of mix reviews about the band.  I'm interested in some of the revision forum thoughts?
m.espoir
on 10/14/07 4:52 am - NJ
THe band did work great for me, but not after the "honeymoon" was over. I know lots of people on this forum that the band is really great for...but after my personal experience, I am thinking that the band has many more mechanical errors, than other surgeries. Plus all the "fill, unfill, fill, unfill, will my insurance cover the fill, I have changed insurances and my fill is no longer covered, I have changed insurances and my doc office no longer accepts it, my doc could not find the port opening, it was a doc who did not know anything about band fills....." things were really difficult for me. I am sure for most of the banded people, this is not how it happened for them, and I know that I am a rare case. I am not knocking the band! But I fell now that it was only a temporary fix for me, I need a permanent one. Please God, let this one work!---good luck, keep researching
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/16/07 5:24 am - Tuvalu
Had the band for three years.  Really thrashed my esophagus.  Revised to DS.  Happy--and weigh a bunch less--now! Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

jass28
on 10/18/07 10:38 am - A Town, NJ
I had the lapband placed over a year ago.  Lost only 20 lbs the first 2 months and have gained back almost all of it.  I am looking to get a revision or the DS.  I have had a miserable ride with this band.  Food gettign stuck is so painful.  I wish i would have never done this.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/20/07 2:15 am - Tuvalu
If you don't mind, I'm going to invite all you currently-banded-looking-for-a-revision people over to the DS board. There are a few of us who were banded and have moved on.  One REASON I think that you will find the DS far more appealing is that, in my case anyway, three years of restricted eating was enough.  I did NOT want to trade band-restrictions for RnY-restrictions.   On the Dark Side, we have cookies...well, THEY have cookies.  I don't do so well with most cookies because I don't do so well with gluten.  But I can share a Reese's if you're interested! Come on down... http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,5357/ Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

LizMoore
on 10/18/07 4:14 pm - San Diego, CA
I am also goin to be looking into a revision from lapband to Gastric Bypass,,I have been at the same weight for 2 yrs and it has been alot of fills and unfills etc etc,,over and over again,,and now I have sleep apnea and just feel poopie for some people the band work's..for some,,nope
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/20/07 2:16 am - Tuvalu
If you don't mind, I'm going to invite all you currently-banded-looking-for-a-revision people over to the DS board. There are a few of us who were banded and have moved on.  One REASON I think that you will find the DS far more appealing is that, in my case anyway, three years of restricted eating was enough.  I did NOT want to trade band-restrictions for RnY-restrictions.   On the Dark Side, we have cookies...well, THEY have cookies.  I don't do so well with most cookies because I don't do so well with gluten.  But I can share a Reese's if you're interested! Come on down... http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,5357/ Sue

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/07 6:37 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/20/07 2:14 am - Tuvalu

Lynn C
on 10/24/07 9:51 am
Hi - I've had my band for 2 years now and am thrilled. No one surgery is perfect for everyone. The band is perfect for me. I am down 100 lbs. I have had 6 fills total in the past 2 years and have never had an unfill. To be successful with the band you really have to understand what it will and will not do, how it works and how you eat. Feel free to check out my recent post on why I love my band - I had an interesting doctors visit today. Do your research, be honest about what you are and are not willing to do, what your eating habits are and what your risk tolerance is - that with a good doctor that is not selling a single surgery and you will make the right choice. Good luck.

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active