Stomaphyx is considered expiemental by insurance

Nina K.
on 10/18/07 5:54 am - Simi Valley, CA
hi i am very very interested in havin gth stomaphyx. i have gained back 50%. after having a 150# loss from RNY gastric b/p 2001. i have Aetna PPO. do you know what insurance companies are NOT covering this? i have an apt with a doctor in  Irvine CA 10/30. i am feeling some hope here. i fi can get this done. i will be so disappointed. i have tried every diet AGAIN,. for the past 2 years. this was not suppose to happen. i am so upset about my gain and the fact that i am always hungry. always craving. always eating any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks so much [email protected]
sopralto
on 10/5/07 10:18 am - WA
I had a combination of distal revision similar to a duodenal switch and Stomaphyx. I had the revision 1 year ago and lost 70lbs then had Stomaphyx 1 month ago and have lost 6 more pounds. (I did go down a whole size in clothes though, noticeable difference to everyone!) I have just started solid foods so am just getting an idea of what kind of restriction there will be. I needed to lose at least 100-120lbs when I had my revision a year ago. I believe if you have that significant amount of weight to lose, Stomaphyx alone will not be enough, so Dr. Overcash seems to be on the right track. I definitely needed both, but didn't know that a year ago. It cost me extra money to add the Stomaphyx, but since my revisin was in Brazil was cheap, I am still happy I did this. As I add food, I am finding soft foods go right through and solids don't. If that is what everyone is experiencing with Stomaphyx, I can see we will not get great results the first month while on liquids and pureed foods.
ladyfiji1
on 10/5/07 9:37 pm - mashantucket, CT
Hi.  I'm new and gathering information on revisions. I had a RNY in 2001 with a distal hook up. I then  did OK and went from 333 to 225 in the first six months. Over the years I gained slowly to 245 . HELP! I hate feeling so unhealthy . This sounds like it will be just what I'm looking for. Where did you have your revision done in Brazil and how much did it cost with the Stomaphyx? Do they do the Fobi revision? Do you have a web site for this doctor's office in Brazil? How experienced was your doctor and how many has he done? It's all new procedures. Also..... How are you healing and was your care the same as in America? Would you do it in that country again? How are you feeling ?  Thanks ahead for your time, Gail
jonathan R.
on 10/8/07 12:09 pm - east meadow, ny
I had the stomaphyx by Dr. Garber and was covered by my insurance.  I heard HIP is not a good insurance.  Maybe you should switch.  I already lost 40 pounds and feel full all of the time.  The stomaphyx saved my life.  I even had to have an endoscoy to clear out my pouch because food was stuck in it because it was so tight.
Nannette
on 10/9/07 2:11 am - Toms River, NJ
Hey Jonathan - what insurance do you have.  Mine is with Aetna POS and they have already turned me down for the Stomophyx based on experimental procedure.  I am scheduled with Dr Garber for the procedure on Oct 23rd. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

jonathan R.
on 10/10/07 2:59 am - east meadow, ny
I had United Healthcare and they approved the proocedure without any trouble.  I could have sworn I spoke to one of Dr. Garber's other patients that was approved with Aetna.  Did you speak to Stephanie in his off ice?  She is the best.
joekidqueen
on 10/11/07 11:49 pm - unon, NJ
Thanks Jonathan and congratulations, I am trying to work with my insurance comapny and actually trying to get Dr. Holover's office to submitt me for approval because they did not do this. The office just told me that they know HIP is not approving it and that was it. I am not giving up though I called HIP and they said to get it submitted and there is always the appeals process. Also in the course of getting help I have come accross 2 experimental procedures that I have called and am considering too. They are the RESTORE and the ROSE procedures. From what I have researcehd these procedures deals with pouch enlargement which is what my issue is.  I will post more info as soon as I find out more on these procedures.
Most Active