pyloric valve

Liz0315
on 10/2/07 9:33 am - IL
I was just curious as to if there is a procedure to restore your pyloric valve if you had an RNY so that you can eat and or tolerate more things and not dump. I hear this is the valve that makes u dump? Also, what other procedures or meds or anything like that is out there to make living with RNY more tolerable? Just curious.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/07 9:55 am - TX

Liz, it isn't the pyloric valve that makes you dump. With the RNY you have a stoma connecting your duodenum (first part of your small intestine)  to your pouch.  It is the quick emptying of the sugar from the stoma that causes the dumping.  

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/procedure/ds_vs__rny/ds_vs__rn y.html 

"The RNY and DS are very different with respect to what is done at the top end of the surgery -- the portion involving the stomach (the restrictive aspect of the surgery). The RNY doctors do a variety of things to make the stomach smaller -- most create “pouches” or transect (divide) the stomach. They then reroute the intestines by connecting them directly to the new stomach pouch, bypassing the duodenum. In the RNY/pouch procedures, the pyloric valve (which regulates the emptying of stomach contents into the duodenum) is bypassed and therefore doesn't function after surgery."

Not dumping is a bonus most of us DS'rs love.

As to meds,  as a RNY'r you need to be careful of taking things that might damage your pouch.  There is a huge list of medications you should not take.

I'm not sure what you mean about procedures which could make the RNY more tolerable.  I think sticking to the basics, chewing your food to liquid and following your surgeon's orders is best. 

Ambitious
on 1/20/08 1:36 am - Havertown, PA
Starry I'm having trouble finding things that will explain in detail what is involved with a revision from RNY to DS! Do you have any resources? What happens to the pyloric valve during a RNY revision to DS? Thank you, Samaria
Kahiah1
on 10/5/07 4:17 pm - LivingHappy, AL
The pyloric valve is still on the large part of the stomach originally bypassed by having a pouch formed of part of the stomach. When a RNY is taken down, the pouch may be reattached to the remnant stomach and the pyloric valve is there and works as it always did......mostly. For some people who have had a RNY for many years, the pyloric valve doesn't always work. But that would be something to discuss with your surgeon who is going to do your revision, or RNY take down.

When Half-Gods go, the Gods arrive.
R
unning along the mini-mall parking lot, swinging a jeweled axe, cometh Kahiah! And she gives a vengeful cry:

"Brace yourself, oh speck of dust! I hereby void your warranty, and send you back to God!!"

Most Active