I need guidance please

jennyn
on 9/29/07 11:33 am - Kingston, TN
Hi everyone!  I had a RNY in 2001.  I am 5'2" and was 240.  I had complications and ended up only losing down to 175.  Now, after having a hysterectomy I am at 217  :(  I have decided to seek a revision.  Now for my questions.  I am living in another state and I need to know what my first steps should be.  I contacted the bariatric center near me and they want me to go to a seminar.  Basically start things all over again??  Is this how I proceed or do I need to contact another kind of dr for preliminary testing? 
cyberdonna
on 9/29/07 11:55 am - Los Angeles, CA
Have you decided what type of revision you want yet? I would make sure they offer what you want first before getting started in their program. Otherwise, I would look for a surgeon who offers whatever I might be interested in.

Proud Military Mom
on 9/29/07 2:03 pm - Reno, NV
I had to start all over again when I had my revision and the original reason for my surgery wasnt even to have a revision but due to the nature of my issues a revision was necessary to fix it..   So its normal for them to want to do this.. You might want to go to your primary and get a referral to a gastro.. have them do an upper GI or scope you to see if your pouch is still working, if your stoma is still working first.. maybe you need to step back and act like a new postie?  Maybe you dont need a revision at all..  maybe you just need to kick start yourself again :) Good luck!!!

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

darnell239
on 9/30/07 9:00 am - Columbia, SC
Jenny, I am going through a similiar situation.  First decide on what surgery you want 2)contact your insurance company to find out if they cover wls or revision surgery.  I have federal blue cross blue shield and I was told that for a revision that is a completely different code for someone who is seeking an initial wls surgery. 3) Next make sure that you find a surgeon who has lots of experience with revisions.  Ask them up front if they have experience doing this.  Don't be a guinea pig for them. Last, If you find a surgeon with experience with revisions he will tell you what steps he wants you to take.  Hope I've helped some.
Most Active