The criticism I see on other forums

**willow**
on 9/26/07 3:37 pm - Lake In The Hills, IL
HUGS! I think they are mean and uninformed.   I think you are right, in the early honeymoon phase it is easy - no hunger, swollen pouch etc.  I think those who are so critical may learn a hard lesson in the future.

10+ years post op and still maintaining!!! surgery  9/25/2002 260/134
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatric_journey/welcome/                                                 if you send a friend request on FB make a note that you are from OH - thanks           http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=586438255&ref=profile  

also www.facebook.com/valshealthykitchen        

Bike Riding   

cyberdonna
on 9/29/07 12:24 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I think you're absolutely right that no one has any business judging you. How does anyone really know that your stretched stoma had anything to do with anything you did? They don't, and you know what they say about people who ASS-ume.

The fact is a stretched stoma means your surgery had a mechanical failure and isn't working the way it is supposed to anymore. I hope you do find a solution because you are perfectly right to want a revision if it will benefit you significantly.

I wish you good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/07 7:44 am - 5K from Everywhere, MN
I think what happens and gets misinterpreted is the idea that because a person has a failed RnY - the idea gets put across that RnY is the wrong choice for EVERYone - and that's simply not true.  When statements like that get made - you can expect a few people to get upset, because there ARE many success stories with RnY.  There are many people who DON'T regain with RnY. Example of what I'm talking about - your statement "most people who do that are in the honeymoon phase" - the implication is "just wait a while and you'll agree that RnY is bad or you'll see why I'm not in part responsible for what happened to me"  Sorry - but that's not everyone's experience, and people have the right to chime in and disagree with that. That's not to say that anyone should be judging you - mechanical failure is possible with ANY surgery.  No one's trying to say that there aren't cases where things have gone wrong out of the person's control.  But you've posted numerous times about a lack of ability to control your discipline.  There is NO surgery that takes away personal responsibility for following surgeon's orders. The people who follow surgeon's orders are the most likely to have long-term success - the tool CAN work for a lifetime.  No one's saying that they don't see where you're coming from - but at the same time, don't presume to judge other people and tell them that they're going to be failures at 4,5,6,7, years out simply because something happened to you personally at that point.  It's a tough road for EVERYONE - there is no point in the journey when we can simply "let go" of being conscious of what we take in - having another surgery isn't going to solve or erase any issues of behavior control you yourself have expressed as being an issue for yourself. I appreciate what you're saying - and yes there are a few people who jump and judge - but I think you're also not really seeing the bigger picture of how your own posting is looking to other people.  We're all here for support - to give as well as get.   Seeking a revision isn't an issue for most people - trying to tell people their surgery being wrong is the "reason" you're seeking a revision is foolish. 
darnell239
on 10/15/07 9:49 am - Columbia, SC
I don't know how to interpret your post at all.  You are right not all people who have RNY need revisions but some do.  However, those who do seek revisions don't need criticism or admonishment from people who don't need revision!
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/07 12:12 pm - 5K from Everywhere, MN
No, people seeking revisions don't need criticism or admonishment!  That's true!  I'm not disagreeing with you here!  I was pointing out simply that it's almost as though you "expected" something different when you posted among people who are having good experiences.  Some of your posts mischaracterized some of the procedures, and people simply pointed those things out.  That wasn't a judgement about you or your need to seek a revision.  Everyone understands that revisions are a fact of life for some people - but they're not inevitable for everyone either - and that's my other point.  People who are having good experiences don't need to be judged as being "pollyanna" or "naive" or in a perpetual "honeymoon" phase either!  Some people do indeed have successful procedures and won't experience the kinds of things the people on this forum do - but they RESPECT that other people might, and they appreciate being able to share the good and the bad and prepare for possibilities.  It's almost as if you believe that anyone who isn't 5+ years out has nothing informed to say about it - because people that far out will inevitably have issues with failure - and that's flat out false!  Understanding is a two-way street sometimes - that's all I'm sayin'. Best of luck in your continued decision-making!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/16/07 4:25 am, edited 10/16/07 4:25 am - Tuvalu
In my experience, the Honeymoon Phase Believers can be as persistant as door-to-door religious zealots!  And the Pre-ops can be worse!  LOL You know, all you can do is say, "Talk to me when YOU are three years out," and NOT say, "...you moron."  Or at least try real hard not to say, "...you moron." My first wls was in 2002.  It went great.  Surgery was a breeze and I lost about 45 or so pounds in the first six months.  And then it all went south.  Adjustment after adjustment.  Reflux/GERD.  Esophageal damage.  Weight regain.  In 2005, I announced that I'd be having a revision.  I had ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE--almost all of them with less experience living with the band that I had--telling me how to make my band work.  I got a little irritated. Then I had my revision to DS.  Ya know what?  SEVERAL of the people who wanted to either berate me or "coach" me into a successful banded life have themselves now had the band replaced or removed or had revisions to other procedures or have had to have all the saline removed due to problems caused by the band or have had one ER visit after another and STILL live with day-to-day problems.  (Admittedly a few are doing well with weight loss, but they live a life that is so centered around that band...I just can't live for a medical appliance, you know?)  Oh, well.  I haven't had the RnY, but several good friends have.  Apparently, the weight loss is not a huge problem.  But, a couple of years out or more, maintenance becomes a real issue for SOME people.  So right now, I have a couple of RnY-patient friends considering revisions and a couple who are depressed...AND a couple who are just delighted with where their surgery has taken them. I think it may be time for some of us to go hang out on the Grads board.  Hangin with Honeymoon Phase people CAN be like hanging with my friends who are new grandparents.  Yeah...yeah...cute, right...but not ALL of those children are geniuses who will save the world!  (And a few of them may even do time...you know.)  LOL Sue

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

darnell239
on 10/16/07 5:27 am - Columbia, SC
Sue, Thank you for posting this.  I think more people to read this and know our experience.  Too bad the band didn't work for you.  The band seems like it is high maintenance!
Cricketbug
on 10/20/07 5:50 am
I totally agree with you now.  I posted a question this morning, feeling totally desperate, and the comments I got are making me cry and feeling even MORE desperate now.  I hate this surgery God I hate this surgery! Sorry, just needed to vent.
LeaAnn
on 10/24/07 6:29 am - Huntsville, AL
Darnell, if we could diet and keep weight off long-term, we wouldn't have needed WLS.  It blows my mind to see people that are just like us belittling people for doing the same things they obviously themselves have done in the past.  Just because they are CURRENTLY in a "dieting" state of mind they get all uppity and self-righteous.  (Yanno, how when someone's sticking to a diet and they go around lecturing everybody else on how to eat, then the next week, they're off the wagon again themselves?)  Anyhow, I've never been able to stick to a diet.  That's why I chose the DS, so I'll never have to diet again.  I hope you've considered some of the excellent advice you've gotten on the DS Forum: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/action,r eplies/_id,3432280/
darnell239
on 10/24/07 9:14 am - Columbia, SC
LeaAnn, I can't stick to a diet either and that is why I am over weight.  I am embarassed that when it comes to food I have such little will power!  I know most people who are critical are in a "honey moon" phase whether they admit it or not.  I want a DS but the problem is there is a limit in experience DS doctors who do revisions.  I've found about 2 who will perform it as a revision but will not touch me because my BMI is not high enough.  My BMI is 37.5.  I am trying to see if I can be bypassed more and have my pouch tighten.
Most Active