I have an idea WHY Stomaphyx works for some and not others

Amyiable
on 9/25/07 12:08 pm
Yes, you & I had a true distal.  We measure the common channel... this is where the food gets absorbed.  Mine was 100cm.  I'm happy that mine is short.  Some of the surgeons make a larger pouch when they give you a short common channel.  Some surgeons though will still make a small pouch.  I envy those who's pouch does not allow them to eat bread.  I've heard that  Dr. Fox & Dr. Oh does distals with a pouch like that. Amy
Janelle S.
on 9/23/07 7:46 am - Metairie, LA
StomaphyX can indirectly reduce the stoma size by pleating the pouch just inside the stoma. I was not a candidate for StomaphyX because my pouch was too small and there would not be enouch pouch to pleat in order to decrease my stoma. You are with the most experienced StomaphyX MDs in this country. I did lots of research. I thought this was the answer for me and was devastated that it wasn't. But I trust and respect the doctor that evaluated me. Some of the doctors I researched were willing to do anybody- without any pre-op testing. If they had tried to do the procedure on me without knowing my pouch was too small God only knows what would have happened. There is something else on the horizon to suture the stoma. I'm hoping this will work for me. Good luck!

nan c
on 9/24/07 11:14 am - Brooklyn, NY
Janelle, You wrote "You are with the most experienced Stomaphyx MDs in this country. I did lots of research" who were you responding to? Sometimes I can't tell *****sponses are for, they don't always seem to line up. Nan
Janelle S.
on 9/24/07 12:37 pm - Metairie, LA
Sorry Nan, I was responding to you. Dr. Garber and Dr. Holover.

nan c
on 9/28/07 6:55 am - Brooklyn, NY
Janelle, Oh! Great! Good to know.  I didn't want to be presumptious and assume you were talking to me. I'm a little impartial when it comes to Dr. Holover because he was my RNY surgeon, and I really don't have anyone else to compare him to. I think he's great, but I don't know how he and Dr. Garber rate out there, with others. Thanks for telling me.  Nan
Most Active