New to Forum-Stomaphyx ?? During Revision

Catherine F.
on 9/18/07 12:58 pm - Greendale, WI
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Revisions forum and have a couple questions if you don't mind.  I'm in the process of going for a Revision from Lap Band to an RNY. Still in the early stages. Blood work, nutrition counseling, psych, etc..  I have made a final decision to do the RNY because the surgeon says that I'm considered too light weight for the DS and there could potentially be too many complications with my history with the Band. I'm 5'9 1/2 " and around 285 lbs and climbing since the Band was removed. Back on Blood Pressure Meds and Pre Diabetic.  I've heard and read a lot of info re: Stomaphyx and wonder if it can be done during the actual RNY surgery as opposed to waiting a couple of years afterward?  Instead of waiting for the weight to creap back can't a person have it done right away during the RNY so as not to have that worry at all? Thanks,

angel.gif angel image by tjonesssAngel Collector
                    Cathy

classite
on 9/18/07 4:17 pm - Battle Ground, WA
The RNY surgery will make your pouch small enough but over time it will stretch some.  The Stomaphyx procedure is used to create a smaller pouch after it has been stretched out.  Hopefully your surgeon will bypass enough intestine and make your pouch small enough that you wont need the procedure if you follow the "rules".
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
tina01
on 9/19/07 3:21 am - Wilmington, DE
Hi, Nah, stomaphyx is for after everything has been stretched.  You will have a very tiny pouch in the beginning (smaller than the stomaphx'ers).  AND, it's possible you may never need it.  I work with a lady who is almost 4 years out and is steadly still losing weight, and who had never exercised a day in her life.. grrrr! lol, she is not Twiggy skinny, but starting to look very good.  Gosh I hate her.. well.. I guess I'm just jealous. :-( Good luck to you, I'm sure your surgeon knows you best and it all work for you. Tina
Most Active