Revision from RNY to DS

Karla H.
on 9/11/07 3:38 am - Denton, TX

OK, I am looking to have a revision from an RNY to DS.  I am in Texas and am looking for a good surgeon who performs this revision. 

I have contacted Dr. Keshishian's office in California.  He has a $4000 fee not covered by insurance.  I've never heard of this before but was told that the California DS surgeons all charge an extra fee.

Can anyone recommend other surgeons that performs the DS revision and tell me if they also have extra fees?  Would love to have someone closer then California but that may not be an option. Thanks for any information you can provide. Karla Hook

darnell239
on 9/11/07 5:00 am - Columbia, SC
Karla, I asked this same question last week.  I am having a revision to the RNY.  The surgeon I am using will not perform the DS with me.  He says the surgery is dangerous and risky.  I don't know how true that is but he also explained that you can really convert a RNY to a true DS.  I think that has something to do with the mechanics of the surgery.  However, good luck with whatever you do.
Karla H.
on 9/11/07 10:44 am - Denton, TX
If you go to the DS forum, I posted this same post and received quite a few replys concerning revision surgeons. Check out http://www.duodenalswitch.com/surgeons/surgeons.html for the more experienced surgeons. Here are some of the ones I know are DS Revisions Surgeons.

Gary Anthone, MD, FACS Email: [email protected] Director, Bariatric Surgery Program, Physicians Clinic 10060 Regency Circle Omaha, NE 68114 Phone: (402) 354-1320 Fax: (402) 354-1323 http://www.bestcare.org Dr K.  has an addition charge of $4000 which is not covered by insurance

* Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS (photo) E-mail: [email protected] Contact: Dawn Keshishian, RN or Dee Tinkle, LVN Phone: 661-725-4847 or 800-816-6647 (toll-free) Delano Regional Medical Arts Building 1205 Garces Highway, Suite 303 Delano, CA 93215 http://wwwdssurgery.com * Michel Gagner, MD (photo) E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected] * Alfons Pomp, MD Phone: 212-746-5294 Fax: 212-7465236 Weill Cornell Weight Loss Surgery Program 1315 York Avenue New York, NY http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.com/ I've heard that Dr. Rabkin's group has an extra charge of appox $8000 * Robert A. Rabkin, MD, FACS (photo) * John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS Contact: Barbara Metcalf, RN Phone: 415-668-3200 Pacific Laparoscopy 2250 Hayes Street, 3rd Floor San Francisco, CA 94117 http://www.paclap.com Hope that helps you in your search. Karla

ladynitewolf
on 9/14/07 2:17 am - BFE, CA
Why on earth to surgeons claim another surgery is "dangerous" and "risky" when really what they mean is "they can't do it themselves"?  The DS is no more dangerous or risky than the RNY according to the latest and most up-to-date studies. Revisions of any sort are definitely more risky by definition, no matter which revision you go for. And tell your surgeon that yes, you can convert an RNY to a "real" DS. My surgeon does it all the time. All you have to do is put everything back to normal - i.e. reattach the pouch to the remnant stomach and reattach the intestines where they came from and then start all over. Yes, it takes a whole lot longer, but it is apparently worth it in the end.

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

annette J.
on 9/15/07 12:06 pm - BIG CREEK, KY
i want to thank you...i am thinking about revision and just could not understand the whole thing. and thanks to medical terminology, well lets just say annette was very lost..but you just described it all in a nut shell and i thank you...been thinking about ds just didnt understand it.  i had rny 12/02.  lost 135 lbs but ive gained back 75 of that.. and feeling like a total failure.  ..but again thanks......annette
(deactivated member)
on 9/19/07 4:16 am - TX

Hi Sarah.  You're looking lovely these days.  It's nice to see you're still hanging around, if not posting much.  Dr. Husted/Dr. R. Rabkins completely took down my RNY too, before giving me the DS.  I couldn't be happier and even though I made my personal goal in less than one year, I think I'm still losing a little.  I'm not at home for 12 days so won't really know until I get home and can weigh on my scale the way I normally do it........(after coffee and poop, but before food)

If anyone would like to read my profile to find out why I chose the DS for my revision, it's all on my profile.  I simply was afraid of another surgery failing!

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/07 5:57 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
I am just curious as to why you are changing from RNY to DS?   Thanks, Esther
Karla H.
on 9/13/07 7:44 am - Denton, TX
Esther, I have regained all but 30 pounds since my RNY.  I think there is a problem with my RNY.  I can eat quite a bit and never feel full.  I was able to take a handful of vitimens from the first without it bothering me. I think the DS will be a better surgery for me. Karla
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/07 8:39 am - Ontario, CA
RNY on 05/07/07 with
That's what scares me about the RNY because I do get full after a very small portion of food but I am so afraid of gaining my weight back because I had the gastroplasty 11 years ago (it is similar to the lap band) and ended up gaining all but 80 pounds back so my surgeon did a revision to the RNY.  I wish now that I had had him do the DS even though I am losing weight every week and I am never hungry.   I am scared to eat because I would die if I gained my weight back again. Hugs, Esther
Karla H.
on 9/13/07 8:46 am - Denton, TX
Esther, Part of the reason I gained back the weight was because of some major health issues over the last three years. Since Oct 2004 I have had the following surgeries which prevented me from being active:  Brain aneurysm, burst appendix, ovarien cyst, breast cancer (chemo, lumpectomy and radiation).  I also had back problems and took steroids...which added to the weight gain. I think everyone is scared about regaining the weight no matter what surgery they have had.  It sounds like your RNY is doing what it is supposed to...hopefully your surgeon gave you guidelines for eating.  You should be fine.  Eat right, exercise and go to support meetings...these all increase your chances of succeeding. Karla
Most Active