Anyone ever had the mini-gastric bypass??

darnell239
on 9/7/07 7:19 am - Columbia, SC
I was wondering if there is anyone in this forum who had the mini-gastric bypass.  I had the surgery 7 1/2 years ago and I failed at it.  I have heard that there is a lot of controvery about this surgery.  I have been at the mini-gastric bypass forum but there is not as much activity there as it is here and other forums.  If you did have this surgery please tell me your experience and if you feel like you had good weight loss results and was able to keep the weight off?
zappre
on 9/14/07 12:47 am
I haven't had it but just wanted to suggest one tweak to your post.  From my perspective, you didn't fail at it, it failed you.  Just a suggestion.
ladynitewolf
on 9/14/07 2:12 am - BFE, CA
I have to echo Zapre. You're being too hard on yourself. That surgery seems doomed to fail from all I've read about it simply because of the mechanics which it is based upon: no real restriction + no real malabsorption = no sustained weight loss. Definitely not your fault! I hope you find the solution you're looking for. Good luck!

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

dancinjudge
on 9/18/07 5:52 am - Oregon City, OR
I feel the need to respond here.  You must be thinking of another surgery, because the MGB has restriction  through making a small sleeve for a pouch, and the malabsorption is the bypassed intestine, most of which are around 6 feet.  I can tell you it is the malabsorption of this surgery that has me to the point of near starvation no matter how much I eat.  I've lost way too much weight and I'm still in the weight loss window.  Nothing is being absorbed.  I am facing a revision to put the intestines back so I CAN absorb.  Then I will be left with what is similar to a VGS. And it is true, the surgery is the failure, not the person.  In my case, I believe the dr. failed to judge the right amount of bypass for me.  Now I'm dealing with the health effects of it.  The fact is, the MGB works for the majority of the people who choose it.  Then there are others, like Darnell and myself, that it fails, for one reason or another.
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

Vicki PNW
on 9/16/07 4:52 am
I know one local woman who had a MGB in Las Vegas.  She was a lightweight and lost so much weight that her weight is now below 100#, 25# below her goal.  And she is still losing weight and trying to get some resolution with the same surgeon who did the original surgery.  She has said in her posts that if she continues to lose weight like that, then she could die.  There are several local surgeons who do revisions, but I am not sure that they can help her.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

darnell239
on 9/16/07 5:54 am - Columbia, SC
Vicki, That scenario sounds scary!  I wonder how much her beginning weight was?  It seems to me that her surgery can be reversed.  That is what the MGB is know for its ability to be easily reversed.  Her sugeon probably was Dr. Rutledge.  He was my surgeon when he was in NC.  I know he can reverse that surgery.
Vicki PNW
on 9/16/07 7:30 am
Her starting weight was a couple of ticks above 200#.  Her surgeon was also Dr. Rutledge.  She does not want to have her surgery reversed.   She is hoping for a revision, but time is running out, as she is getting progressively weaker due to serious medical problems.  She has broken just about every WLS rule to try to regain 10-20# without success.  In spite of all this, she is keeping a positive attitude.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

dancinjudge
on 9/18/07 5:50 am - Oregon City, OR
Yoo hoo! Hi Darnell. I'm the one currently suffering excessive weight loss from the MGB.  In my mind, Dr. R. bypassed too much (6 feet) for what I needed to lose (80 lbs.).  His reasoning was that in people he was doing 3-4 foot bypasses, they would come back and have more taken later.  So his new "rule of thumb" is to start with 6 feet.  Well, I'm a walking skeleton right now.  I'm weak and we are talking about a feeding tube to get my strength up.  Then I have to come up with another $17,000 to revise this and put my intestines back.  I'm in touch with my PCP weekly.  I've had severe diarrhea that developed in June, and it is really hard to keep under control.  I was not absorbing any nutrients, fat or calories.  It appears that I am starting to absorb more now.  I've come up a few pounds to 101, so glad to say.  But I am far from being healthy. I'm only out 10 months, so still have a substantial amount of time in the weight loss window.  Dr. R. thought I could "eat my way through it." But even eating 5 big meals a day, I can barely keep from losing.  I am supposed to rebound 10-20 lbs. sometime around 18 - 24 months, but can I survive that long? I don't know who to blame (probably no one-though I'm tempted to blame Dr. R. for being too aggressive with me). Sometimes things happen and we never know why.  I knew full well going in to this surgery there was a possibility for complications.  I just didn't consider it getting to a point of being life threatening. If you have any questions, just feel free to ask. 
~Kim~ , 202-start/125-goal/124-current
           MGB 11/15/06, Revision to Gastric Sleeve 11/30/07

darnell239
on 9/18/07 6:20 am - Columbia, SC

Your situation sounds terrible!  You were on the low end of the weight scale and he bypassed that much!  I am 216 and being revised to the RNY and I hope that I don't loose too much weight.  I don't want to be a skeleton and I am scared your situation could happen to me.  I almost wonder if he could be held liable for being so aggressive with your low start out weight?  You should check into that.

Most Active