Sclerotherapy???

Karolina P.
on 9/6/07 11:03 pm - Plainville, MA
Hi everyone.  I have tried to look for info on the web about sclerotherapy for enlarged stoma.  I can''t find anything.  I was wondering if any of you know where i can find info online about this.  Also is this a common thing would my surgeon even know about this?   Another question , what is the best way to get an acurrate view of the stoma upper gi or endoscope or something else? Thank you all for any info
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/07 11:46 am
I'm glad you're asking these questions because I'm looking for answers as well.  I just happened to have a consultation today for SOME kind of revision to my RNY (not sure what I want to do yet).  They had me consume about 1/2 a styrofoam cup of a thick white substance.  It had the consistency of instant pudding and was almost tasteless...it wasn't that bad.  They did this as I was standing in front of an xray device and they took about 5 pictures.  I didn't get to see the films but the surgeon did.   I don't know if this is called an upper gi or just a "dye" test or something.  He told me that my pouch was "normal" but my stoma was enlarged.  That's why I always feel like I'm hungry, because the food passes through so quickly.  They can't tell from this test any specific sizes of anything but they can get a general idea.  The next step would be the endoscopy to get exact sizes of everything.     Dr Poplawski did my consult today from Barix Clinics and he's pretty straightforward with surgery and any revisions...either RNY or lap band..that's it.  He said that the sclerotherapy is being done to reduce the size of the stoma but that "it doesn't work that well...it lasts about a month or so."  I totally don't believe that and I"m only now just sitting down to find some more info to see for myself.  He also mentioned stomaphyx (not the name of the procedure, just how it's done) and he wasn't buying into this one either.  I'm not comfortable with doing anything with this surgeon so I'm looking at other options.    He wont' do anything else but the lap on me.   I hope someone else has more answers...I'm anxious too!!!
KIMBERLY W.
on 9/8/07 7:57 am - Florence, MA
Hi.  I am in the same boat as you but have an enlarged pouch too. I think you are smart with your choice.......talk about listineng to your gut ! lol The best advice is get lots of godd advice and then make YOUR choice. See my post for the clincal trial.   Good luck to us all 
classite
on 9/8/07 2:59 pm - Battle Ground, WA
My surgeon and I talked about different things out there for revisions.  She does not do any of them but a colleague of hers does.  She said that the results of the sclerotherapy were not good, your Dr. was probably right as she also indicated it didn't last very long.  She did recommend either having a lap band (which has had success post RNY) or the suturing procedure that they are doing now that is in clinical trials.  Unfortunately I do not qualify for the trial as I am not 2 years out from my RNY yet.  I have not lost any weight since 7 months out.  I am currently looking into the Stomaphyx procedure.
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
sandyfeets
on 9/9/07 5:40 am, edited 9/9/07 5:42 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
o get an accurate view of your stoma, you will need an endoscopy.
I had Schlerotherapy done in June.
My stoma was 14 mm in diameter, rather than the 8-12 that is recommended.
My pouch is of normal size, but just empties too fast with a stoma that large.
The initial schlerotherapy was done by an Gastroenterologist.
I had mine done right in the same hospital as my surgery. My surgeon recommended the GI doctor, and provided me with a referral and sent him the necessary information.
Initial results are not really known for about 6 months.
I can tell you after the procedure, eating was just like POST-OP from my RNY. Liquids, then purees, then soft foods. There was pain only when I ate "dense" foods for the first few weeks.
I now stay full, longer than before
I've lost an additional 10 lbs in 2 months. I can/want/will lose more. My goal is another 40-60 lbs.

For more info on the procedure see this web article

http://arcadiahill.com/egd/egd.html

darnell239
on 9/18/07 12:53 am - Columbia, SC
Sandy, Can you post an update on your scleratherapy.  This is a procedure that I have been monitoring and want to see if there is some real success.  Please let me know if you have lost more weight and if you are having any complications.
Most Active