doctor won't revise me to DS

prettydove
on 9/6/07 12:32 am
i had a conversation about this very topic a few  months ago as to why there are bariatric surgeons that will not do revision to DS or refuse to do the procedure or downplay it. his answer was a revision is extrememly difficult and there are only a few surgeon even qualified that have the expertise and experience to accomplish such a surgical procedure. in other words, not all surgeons are qualified or have the know how to do a bariatric revision to DS. so they rather say they don't recommend it or they just refuse to revise you. my bariatric surgeon is one of the top and very noted in his field as well as a researcher regarding DS and revision to DS. he has done 100s and 100s of RNY, lapband, DS, etc.  as well as revision. his name is Dr. Inabnet. the revision procedure as per his word is different than the a person having DS for the first time.  i recommend you research and contact a few bariatric surgeons to speak about your inquiry regarding revision to DS, how does it differ than having DS for the first time and what is the actual procedure for having a revision to DS and also risk and complications that is DUE TO the revision. also, make sure you interview your bariatric surgeon as to how many revisions to DS he has performed and what are his qualification to be a revision DS surgeon. just my input into this. wishing you the best.
HW 305 / SW 247 / CW 138 / GW 140 
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
Trudy O.
on 9/6/07 12:38 am - TN
You guys need to keep your arguments somewhere else.  This message board is about people who's surgeries have failed for whatever reason.  We don't need your bickering to add to how bad we already feel. Darnell, I know you wanted to stick with your original surgeon, but if the DS what you want you should look elsewhere.  The board if full of people with stretch enlarged stomas from RNY looking for help. I hear that Dr Husted is coming back to the Nashville area.  I plan on seeing him.  He is one of the most experienced in revisions. Goodluck in whatever you decide. Trudy
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/07 12:41 am - Wartburg, TN
I think your reasons for getting the DS are right on and very well thought out.  There are good revisions surgeons out there and you might have to travel a bit, but it would be totally worth it.  My surgeon also does revisions, he is the one that did Loris surgery.    Please base your decisions on facts, not opinions and vague references to other websites, this is YOUR life and you need to be the one researching the facts.  As far as my experience with the DS, it has been wonderful, although I am  not a revision. I am a previous failure at every diet and diet pill out there, and at one year out I have been unable to ~break~ my DS, even though I have tried, lol!  It is still working and still has my back!
Hubba
on 9/6/07 12:51 am - KS
Hi Darnell I second the getting a second opinion. There are several well qulified DS surgeons who do revisions.   As far as some of the other posts on here, I havn't ever seen anyone wanting a revision of the DS to something else. Maybe to have there common channel lengthened or shortened but not a switch to a RNY or Lapband.  I could be wrong though, It wouldn't be the first time. Best of Luck To You.

Hubba 
 "Well son, since you don't have any respect for your elders, it's time somebody taught you some respect for your betters!"     John Wayne   
Click the image to Copy the code, then just paste it in a forum thread

!

Kryst
on 9/6/07 2:23 am - NYC, NY
Hey Darnell, I'm a revision from RNY to DS.. I had the RNY for 6 + years and it failed me.. I had loads of complications, not to mention horrid labs for years.. My RNY was taken down and I was given a full DS. (Thank God) This is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I'm so glad I was given a second chance to have something that actually works for me and allows me live a normal life.. My lowest weight with RNY was 150 lbs, I'm only 3 months post op DS and I'm already down to 155 lbs. (as of this morning) I think that's pretty darn good and I'm very happy with the results.. While other types of wls are good, I feel IMO that the DS is best, at least for me it is, and your reasons for wanting the DS sound pretty darn good as well.. I feel your pain, I've been there, but just know that you do have a second chance.. Best of luck to you.. :)

Surgically Superior.. I LOVE MY DS!!!!!!
SW/200-CW/125-GW/125
At Goal!

ALABAMA
on 12/3/07 12:05 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
darnell, please tell me about the recovery time.and the pain level. I'm having a revision also
Nunyo B.
on 9/6/07 2:41 am
Hiya Darnell, I had SRVG (similar to the VBG) 10 years ago that failed and I'm now scheduled on Oct 3rd for a revision to the DS.  My insurance company approved me for revision surgery but they denied the DS based on "experimental/investigational" claims and I had to fight with them for 8 months before I won approval through an external appeal.  I have the same reasons as you for wanting the DS and fought long and hard to get approval.  Don't let anyone tell you you can't have what you know is best for you.  Definitely check with an experienced revision surgeon (insert shameless plug here - Dr. Inman is wonderful!) and get a 2nd opinion.  Don't let one person try to stop you from doing what is right for you. Take care and I wish you all the best with your revision journey, wherever it may lead.
delano1972
on 9/6/07 10:49 am - North Platte, NE
I don't know if traveling is an option, but Dr. Anthone in Omaha NE is a very experienced surgeon that does the DS. Although I am pre-op I have heard lots of good things. Please base your decision on FACTS, your reasons are very logical. I am having the DS due to the lack of being able to find failures, the nature of the procedure, and the overall sucess seen with the DS. I went so far as to correspond with a gentleman who was 16 years post of and he still loves his DS and would do it again in a heartbeat (and he did have some complications). Good luck with your decision.

Michelle
Highest 242/Surgery 235/Goal 150/Lowest 158/Current 184 (Started working off regain and heading to goal 02/02/12.)    

Laurie LOVES her DS
on 9/6/07 3:00 pm - Southern, CA
Darnell, Kahiah1 is so full of crap.  Here he (or is it she?) is spouting off about the DS, making statements and doesn't respond when asked for sources. Why don't you just ask this over on the DS board? Laurie
~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/7/07 2:21 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Darnell: I'm wondering if you've emailed Dr. Rutledge.  Way back in 1999, I was looking at the MGB, lap RNY, and Lap-Band.  I ended up having a horrible experience with an RNY surgeon... and posted about it on his OH profile.  Well, he threatened to sue me and OH.  It was a big deal.  Eric and I were emailing back and forth...and for a long time, this guy's profile did not have patient comments.  Anyhoo... Dr. Rutledge found out about it, and rather than trying to sell me on the MGB, he gave me a list of all of the other surgeons he knew of performing the Lap-RNY at the time. (there weren't that many back in 1999).  That really impressed me.  So, if you're looking for somebody to revise your MGB to a DS, he may have some suggestions.  Just a thought. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active