doctor won't revise me to DS

darnell239
on 9/5/07 12:52 am - Columbia, SC
Hi Everyone, I talked to my doctor yesterday about having my old surgery (mini gastric bypass) revised to the duodenal switch.  He doesn't want to revise me to this procedure.  He thinks it's too risky and dangerous since I have had a previous surgery.  For those of you who want to know why I want the duodenal switch here are my reasons. 1)greater long term results.    I haven't spent 3/4th of my life dieting and counting calories and I don't want to spent the rest of life doing that.  There are too many people on the revision board who had the Rny and the surgery failed them or they failed the surgery, however you want to view it.  The DS board has very few people seeking a revision surgery.  I know that many of you will say that I have to learn better eating habits (been there done that).  If I had the discipline to follow a weight loss program I and many others wouldn't be in this forum seeking surgery.  For those of you who are wondering why am I using this doctor it is because he has lots of experience with revisions and he is very knowledgable about my previous surgery type.  I want to think that the surgeon does know best.  Honestly, after failing my first surgery and not having long term results I don't  think I can take another failure.  Any comments? 
tina01
on 9/5/07 7:17 am - Wilmington, DE
I just want to point out the fact that although there are many who correspond on this board who have had RNY and it hasn't worked for some reason...  that there are many many many.... who have had RNY and it has been a success who may not be contributors to this board... Just be careful, it's easy to get caught up in thinking that this board is all encompassing.. ya know? :-) Good luck with your search for answers. T
Kahiah1
on 9/5/07 3:55 pm - LivingHappy, AL
Let me mention that there are hundreds of thousands who have had RNY and ony thousands who have had DS. Also after some people have said their DS is superior for a year or so on this site , they will not be able emotionally to come to Obesity Help site and then tell people here that their surgery failed for any reason.There are other web sites on the internet where people who have DS post about thier complications, slow or inadequate weight loss and weight regain. I hope any surgery you get works for you and you have a successful long term weight loss.

When Half-Gods go, the Gods arrive.
R
unning along the mini-mall parking lot, swinging a jeweled axe, cometh Kahiah! And she gives a vengeful cry:

"Brace yourself, oh speck of dust! I hereby void your warranty, and send you back to God!!"

Vanessa B.
on 9/5/07 11:38 pm - Jonesborough, TN
On September 5, 2007 at 10:55 PM Pacific Time, Kahiah1 wrote:
Let me mention that there are hundreds of thousands who have had RNY and ony thousands who have had DS. Also after some people have said their DS is superior for a year or so on this site , they will not be able emotionally to come to Obesity Help site and then tell people here that their surgery failed for any reason.There are other web sites on the internet where people who have DS post about thier complications, slow or inadequate weight loss and weight regain. I hope any surgery you get works for you and you have a successful long term weight loss.

Excuse me what web sites are you referring to that post DS complications, slow or inadequate weight loss, or weight regain? Could you be more specific?

Vanessa

Peach
on 9/6/07 12:11 am - savannah, GA
I would like to see the links to these web sites that you are refering to myself! I would also like to know why it is that you claim that DS'ers will not be able emotionally to come to Obesity Help site and then tell people here that their surgery failed for any reason. Why are you making these false claims?

Jamie K.  SW  /  CW / GW
360 / 157 /  150  
Plastics 3/3/09 In Monterey MX.

hedy67
on 9/6/07 6:46 am - Horsham, PA
Can you name these websites?  I am considering DS and have only heard positive experiences. thanks!
delano1972
on 9/6/07 11:00 am - North Platte, NE
I am pre-op and if you could direct me to those web sites and failures I would appreciate it. I have been searching for failures since the beginning of the year and I have had a hard time finding any, I can only find RNY and band failures. Much thanks,

Michelle
Highest 242/Surgery 235/Goal 150/Lowest 158/Current 184 (Started working off regain and heading to goal 02/02/12.)    

~~Sami~~ *.
on 9/8/07 4:23 am - Jacksonville, FL
There are some great long-term studies on the DS (10 years +) on the DS site....  I highly recommend reading through the full-text of all of the studies listed: http://duodenalswitch.com/procedure/clinical_data/clinical_data.html Knowledge is power!

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Jenkatmom L.
on 9/6/07 12:10 am
I was a revision from a gastroplasty in the early 80's to a DS 11/07.  I was the one with complications - really bad ones.  It was a tough go for the first 6 months but I am totally back to normal, eating all that I want, slowly the weight is coming off and I have lost about 90 lbs so far.  Would I do it all over again - HELL YES, preferably without the complications, but I would still do it again even with the complications.  What everyone needs to know is that no matter what kind of abdominal surgery that was done previous, and especially any that was done on the stomach is that you will be in a higher category for complications.  Most revision people do NOT have complications, I was the unlucky one.  With any type of surgery there are risks and benefits and it is our job to weigh both (no pun intended) and decide what procedure is best for us individually and pick a surgeon that is skilled in revision surgery. I know you will make the correct decision and if your surgeon does not want to perform that surgery, get your old op reports and get a second opinion from someone who does the type of surgery you want. Good luck. :) Lori D 
Happy to be alive and loving life!
                    I LOVE my DS!
Rosalind G.
on 9/6/07 12:14 am - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
How about getting a 2nd opinion?  I always think that's the best way to come to a decision.    I do so understand your deep frustration.  It is terribly difficult to face a life of continued dieting.  The RnY and DS surgeries were inspired by our mutual failures as dieters for whatever reason.  Both surgeries offer hope for our desire to be healthier and happier.  We both share this common goal and that should bring us all together in the famiy of hope for better lives. Whatever your final decision, I wish you the best success. 

All is well in the garden, Roz
DS lap--8/4/04--Dr John Rabkin, San Francisco (246/118)
4/6/06--Lower body lift with muscle repair, Dr J. C.Fuentes, MX
7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA
2/7/07--Breast Aug/Lift--Dr  Bresnick, Encino, CA
Better living through the scalpel

Most Active