Proximal to distal rny - results please

tracyr
on 9/1/07 3:21 pm - Seaford, NY

Hi! I had a proximal rny in 2002.  I intially lost 100 lbs but have gained back most of this weight.  Due to a hysterectomy due to cancer I am having a hard time losing this weight.  I have to make an appointment with my surgeon.  I am almost positive that he will sugest a revision to a distal rny. Has anybody gone from proximal to distal?  If so, what were your results. Thanks Tracy

sopralto
on 9/1/07 4:57 pm - WA
I went from a proximal RNY to a biliarypancreatic diversion. This i similar to a distal RNY. I lost 70lbs in one year.
BeachPat
on 9/2/07 12:26 pm
What's the difference between a biliary pancreatic diversion and a DS?
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

BeachPat
on 9/2/07 6:45 pm
Sopralto: How did you decide to go for a biliary pancreatic diversion vs. a distal RNY? Did you have any trouble with insurance since it costs more? (Since you had a previous RNY, was a DS not an option, or did you consider it too drastic?)
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

sopralto
on 9/2/07 2:01 pm - WA
I true duodenal switch requires a functioning pyloric valve, which after my RNY 15 years ago, I do not have. The difference between a BPD and a distal RNY is in the different types of intestines in each limb--the biliary and digestive limbs. The duodenum, ileum and ?cecum? are names of parts if the small intestine. I know it is complicated...but by golly, I am still losing weight and eating a lot. I just not sure I will lose to goal without more restriction.
classite
on 9/8/07 3:02 pm - Battle Ground, WA
How are you doing since your procedure the other day?
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/07 12:30 am - TX

Hi Tracy.  You might want to read my profile to find out more of why I went from a RNY to DS.  I also just posted on this board about my lunch yesterday with a small group of DS'rs from the San Antonio area.  See the food for thought thread.

Good luck.  You are smart to do your research. 

sopralto
on 9/9/07 2:23 pm - WA
First of all realize that some RNYs can be converted to DS, some cannot and some are iffy. Much depends on the was the original RNY was done.  To answer another question: I had the Stomaphyx 5 days ago. I have been back to work for 3 days, can drink fluids well--I am careful to take sips. I am on full liquids. Pureed soup and liquids don't make me feel full but when eating pudding and yogurt, I feel full after eating about 1/2 cup, which I eat very slowly. I get painful spasms in my stomach/pouch a few times a day. They really hurt, but the doctor ordered liquid pain medication post procedure which helps. I have been on liquids for 6 days now and have not felt hungry in the least. That to me is a miracle! The scale says I have lost 2.5 lbs but I fit into a smaller size jeans already. My energy level is very high and that is surprising to me, as I thought while on liquids I would be rather tired. The opposite is true. I have cleaned out 3 closets with all the free time I have. So far I am very pleased with the results.
Most Active