Help approved for lapband but....

sabrina S.
on 8/21/07 10:52 pm - cleburne, TX
So I was approved for lap but was thinking about Rny, any personal opinions? Iam 5'5 233 lbs BMI 38 Any input would be appreciated Sabrina

bradshaw0506
on 8/22/07 3:52 am - Chicago, IL
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. I say if you want an RNY then make sure you understand what you're getting into.  I know here on the Revision Board there are a lot of banders revising to an RNY but there are also a lot of us RNYers that need a revision too. I'm revising (so to speak) and having a Lap Band added to what I already have because my RNY failed just 2 years post-op.  I am now 8.5 years post-op and will hopefully have my band by Xmas.
sabrina S.
on 8/30/07 10:17 pm - cleburne, TX
Got a question or 2? What about the stomaphx, and can they put a band on after Rny? someone said they cant but if your doing it I guess that would be a yes. Sabrina

Marilyn J.
on 8/29/07 11:29 pm - Bloomfield, NE
   Hi I was lapband in 04 If I could do that day over again I wouldn't have had it!!! I had nothing but problems with it and haven't had to much success Now i'm looking into having a revision  But I want the DS because I really don't want to deal with another pouch and start all over  again. I'm not saying it doesn't work it just didn't work for me.  All I can say is do your home work  and decided for yourself. It's hard I know because this is my last chance to get it right. Good Luck  Marilyn
sabrina S.
on 8/30/07 10:14 pm - cleburne, TX
Thanks so much for your reply, I have looked at the ds but it kinda scares me due to its a major surgery like they all are. But involves more stapling it is pretty scarey. I also now its non reversible.if you have any more info on it I may not be noticing please let me know, Sabrina

KRWaters
on 8/30/07 1:35 am - Manteca, CA
Definitely check out the DS (duodenalswitch.com) or the DS forum here. you might  be surprised at the difference that a DS will do for you. I am seeking a revision to a DS from a failed RnY. RnY does not work for everyone and lapband is not the way to go either IMHO.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Marilyn J.
on 8/31/07 12:23 am - Bloomfield, NE
    Sabrina         I understand about being scared of a major surgery.  I've had about  seven surgerys in my    53 years from having 3-c sections gallbladder, tubes being tied, Hyster. So I do understand    what surgery is oh yea my lapband. The sugery on lapband was a walk in the park compare to the   other ones. All the money I spent I should of look into it deeper. One of my main reasons I did do  the Lapband was because of my parents. I had four other siblings that had past away my last   brother was only 50 but a large man. and he went in for gallbladder surgery and never came back  home. So I decided to play it safe for them and that the lapband. but now they see all the money I  have put out getting fill taking some out puting some back in taking it all out trying to put somemore in and each time this cost me 175.00 plus my 11/2 hrs travels time. and I do have alot of weight to lose. Take care and best of luck to you Marilyn
sabrina S.
on 8/31/07 2:20 am - cleburne, TX
 I'm So sorry for your loss ,and your poor parents loss, I was shocked when you said your brother passed from gallbladder surgery, It shows all surgeries have complications I guess, I have 8 kids yep 8 ,and all mine. I have had 1 emergency c-section and one kidney stone removal. Ouch I had a stint in for a week,and pee'd blood the whole week which was sooo... painful, but I made it. I was going for lapband but changed my mine too, due to the same reason fills unfills how long will insurance keep up with it, or not. have you had ds or if so how much weight did you lose? take care, Sabrina

Marilyn J.
on 8/31/07 4:22 am - Bloomfield, NE
    Sabrina  You have eight kids you look pertty good for having eight kids!!!!!!!    No I haven't had my DS yet I'm just getting started with everything went to the seminar Now I  go and see my Dr. on Oct 3,  I don't want to think that because of me your not having Lapband I feel it does work but I'm an easy keeper and I need to do everything the hard way .( It Seems0 I haven't even started with my insurance yet, but my Lapband Dr. already wrote a letter saying  I need to look into something else.So that helps me and I do have alot of other health problems Not real serious one All they can take out is part of my stomach because that's the only thing left  in there.LOL.     Take care   Hugs and keep in touch  Marilyn
Most Active