How do we know if we stretched our pouch?

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/07 10:13 am - Elizabethtown, KY
I didn't even know this board was here! I was googling stomaphyx and it came up with a OH thing. I'm glad I found this. I posted on the main board earlier about having gained 30 pounds. I know why I have. I've gone back to my old habits and I have been grazing or nibbling constantly. I get up in the middle of the night and nibble. I make horrible eating choices. I've been fighting sinus infections, allergys and inner ear issues all summer but thats not why I haven't been doing my treadmill. I just stopped. Today I saw 190 on my family doc's scale. I knew I had gained and I knew it was bad and it was. 30 pounds since Jan or Feb. I've canceled my 2 yr post op appt with my gastric bypass surgeon. I was supposed to see him in March but I canceled cause I knew I had gained. I kept putting it off and telling myself that I could lose a few pounds. That few pounds grew. I have no idea if my bad eating habits have stretched my pouch or not. I don't gorge myself I nibble and nibble crappy foods. I don't dump and haven't really ever dumped much. I'm 2 and a half yrs post op and I know thats not a long amount of time. I am going to call my surgeon and let him know whats going on and why I haven't been to see him. I'm always scheduling a physical I put off for the same reasons. I'm so afraid that my diabetes is back. I haven't taken anything for diabetes or high blood pressure since I got out of the hospital for my gastric bypass but I got the sweats and the shakes the other night. My legs were shaking pretty good. I checked my sugar on my hubbys tester and it was 171. Sounds high to me. I do have a plan of action. Restart my protien shakes. Go back to eating like I did when I first had surgery. 3 meals a day (mostly some sort of grilled, roasted or baked meats like chicken breast, fish, turkey or tuna plain) at 2oz per meal. I know we all do things differently and our surgeons all have different ways of doing stuff. Mine has us eat 2oz 3 times a day durning the losing phase. Then to maintain 6 of those small meals a day. I haven't done that. For my first year of maintence I would eat a smaller portion than I used to eat but it was more than 2 oz. Whats gotten me is the nibbling. A cookie here, some cheese crackers, some chips, dry cereal (of course the sugary kind). I'm starting to worry, what if I've stretched my pouch? What if I can't get this back off? Thats silly to say, I know I can if my will power and determination are strong enough. What the heck is stomaphyx anyways? Another OH member and friend of mine told me to ask my surgeon about it. Is this something to help ppl like me who have gained 30 pounds or is this something that I don't need to do just for 30 pounds? I know if I don't get myself back on track right now that 30 pounds could easily shoot back up to where I started from or more. I am worried that I've stretched my pouch though. I think I will ask my surgeon about that. Thanks u guys for any tips and best of luck to u all! Ange
JRinAZ
on 8/20/07 11:42 am - Layton, UT
Hi Ange, You sound like the perfect Stomaphyx patient.  I have 28 pounds to tackle and am schedule for the 1st of November to get my procedure done. I'll try and explain Stomaphyx the best that I can and those who have had it done can jump in and help out since I"m sure I'll explain it as "clear as mudd"!  LOL! A pediatric size endoscope (through the mouth) has a teeny pincher type ending.  Imagine that it does a "grab, pull in and fasten" type of motion.  A row of this pleating (aka placating or quilting) is done at the SToma (entrance to the lower intestine where the food leaves your pouch) and closes the stoma in considerably.  This will hold the food in longer .  A second  higher row is done to the pouch which creates a much smaller pouch; described as about 2 oz by some.  This of course would limit the amount that someone could eat.  So, the results are:  FULL faster - FULL longer! The results have been pretty successful across the U.S. but there are of course no long term studies.  Stomaphyx was only adopted in the U.S. by the FDA in the spring and earliest patients were around June.  To date, there are only TWELVE certified Bariatric surgeons who are doing Stomaphyx.  I'm sure many others will follow but I know the company (EndoGastricSolutions) is limiting the training so that it doesn't get out of control.  They are trying to keep the level of excellence very high!  You can go to their website to get  the current list of certified surgeons.  www.endogastricsolutions.com  The fasteners are not harmful at all to our bodies as they eventually may fall off.  They work like staples or sutures and hold the tissues together until it heals in that fashion.  Because it is a type of pleating, it will stretch a bit to allow for solids eventually but liquids are recommended for as long as 3 weeks post-op so that pressure doesn't undo the fasteners.  Stretching is not expected to occur again because the tissue has somewhat lost it's elasticity from the original weight loss surgery. Stomaphyx post-ops typically complain of a dry to sore throat and some possible chest pain or tightening for a couple of days. Those who are still 75 to 100 pounds overweight may stil want to consider a malapsorptive revision along with the STomaphyx or instead of the STomaphyx. Insurances generally will not cover it unless you fall in the guidelines of qualifying for a full revision.  Dr. Overcash's office had orginally gotten some coverage but iinsurances have not paid out and are now denying.  They are taking on cash patients only.  I know Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix is also just taking cash patients (unless they qualify for a revision). Hope that helps. Like I said, I'm sure others can explain more or much better. Joyce in az
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/07 12:45 pm - Elizabethtown, KY
Thank u for explaining it to me. I have no idea if I'd qualify or not but I will ask my surgeon about it when I go see him for a check up. Thanks and best of luck to u. If u don't mind me asking, is this procedure very expensive?
JRinAZ
on 8/20/07 12:57 pm - Layton, UT
The range seems to vary.   Dr. Schlesinger is currently $8,000 but I understand he will be raising that before long.  I think the rest are between $7,000 and $10,000.??  .....  IF it gives me a better quality of life, and keeps me from regaining any more and keeps the diabetic meds away then it's worth it to me!
Joyce 

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/07 2:39 pm - Elizabethtown, KY
Thank u and I will definitely keep it in mind when I see my surgeon.
cathy G.
on 8/21/07 5:52 am - montgomery, al

Hi!  It has been years since i've last posted.  I  had gastric bypass 4 years ago and lost 115 lbs.  (down to 160 lbs)  It stayed off for the first 3 yrs., then I went thru menopause.  All  I have done is eat!  I have gained  28 lbs. over the past year.  My weight fluctuates between 180 and 190.  There is no doubt that my stomach & stoma  have stretched out.  Is there a BMI required to qualify for the surgery?  If not what are the qualifications?    I didn't even realize their could still be hope without waiting until all the weight was gained back before I could have something done about it.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up.  Any information would be helpful, or if you know where I could research it online I would greatly appreciate it. 

faybay
on 8/20/07 7:27 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
Joyce, this is an excellent description.  You will probably need to save it and repost it every couple of weeks.  I would like your permission to post this to few other boards.  Thanks.
tina01
on 8/21/07 6:28 am - Wilmington, DE
Hi Fay, How are you feeling?  Hope things are better. Tina
JRinAZ
on 8/22/07 7:45 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Fay! You definitely have my permission to re-post but keep in mind that I'm not any professional!  .....I just have the gift of gab!  :) How are you feeling?  Do you feel restriction following your stomaphyx? Joyce
Joyce 

emrettig
on 8/21/07 4:31 am
Ange, Don't be afraid to go back to your surgeon.  I kept putting it off because I had gained back about 30 pounds.  I am 4 years out from an open RNY.  Finally really bad heartburn drove me back to see the surgeon.  I have been taking naproxin (aleve) for arthritis and a broken shoulder.  Evidently I developed an ulcer that ate through the staples.  I am looking forward to a revision in January.  I have to wait that long simply because my crazy schedule won't give me the 6 weeks I need to recover until after Christmas.  I thought I had done something wrong and was doomed to regain all my weight.  I realize now I should have found something besides the NSAIDS for pain but I am going to swear off them from now on.  And my insurance should pay for the revision because the problem is caused by a medical problem. Keep the Faith Eileen
Most Active