Stomaphyx updates please

classite
on 8/16/07 4:42 pm - Battle Ground, WA
All of you Stomaphyx patient's, please update us wtih your progress so far.  Weight lost, feeling of saiety/hunger, complications, issues. Thanks in advance, Cheryl
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
Cathy W.
on 8/17/07 12:08 am
Hi Cheryl, I had my StomaphyX 3-1/2 weeks ago and have already lost 1/3 of the excess weight I want to lose.  I'm very happy so far and thrilled that I had it. I definitely feel satiety when I eat.  It is different though than what I unfortunately became used to.  If you take a hunger scale of 1-10 with 10 being Thanksgiving dinner full, I feel a 7-8.  That is a readjustment in thinking but I am satisfied with the 7-8.  I don't even want to eat past the 7-8 level as that would feel too heavy and too much. No complications from the procedure.  As I've posted before, I have problems with anesthesia so I had a difficult time with nausea for a few days.  With past surgeries (c-sections, RNY), I had the exact same thing.  As far as the procedure, no complications and only a mild sore throat the day after.  My voice was a little raspy for the following week if I talked too much but it didn't hurt. No issues with me that have been negative.  I lost a lot my first week and then plateaued but I'm back to losing.  It isn't as rapid as with the RNY because there isn't any additional malabsorption.  I think that the weight loss will be slower but I also have less to lose than I did with my RNY.  I know it will happen. It has readjusted my thinking to appropriate portion size like my RNY did.  I have the restriction and satiety that I wanted from the procedure.  Head hunger is still there although not as loud and persistent as pre-StomaphyX.  When I eat, I'm not fearful of how much it will take to feel satisfied.  I now know and that control feels wonderful. I'd do it over again without a second thought.  I feel like I did with my RNY only without having the actual surgery.  It's great so far. Cathy
classite
on 8/17/07 11:37 am - Battle Ground, WA
Thanks for the update Cathy.  I am in the process of setting up a phone consult with the surgeon in AZ.
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/07 10:15 am - Elizabethtown, KY
Is this procedure covered by most insurances???? How do u know u need one?
Nita S.
on 8/21/07 11:25 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Cheryl I had my Stomaphyx in Phoenix on Friday.  The surgery was very uneventful, and virtuially no pain.  I am sticking very close to the post surgery diet, as I want everything to heal nicely.  I have restriction, but am surprised how easy it is to eat (full liquids) than it was after my RNY 7 years ago.  When I had my original surgery I mourned food for about 3 months, buyt this time it is not an issue.  Seems strange to me, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  I have questions for some of you that are farther out than I am, how much do you eat at one sitting?  I have been measuring everything I put in my mouth, and maybe I am not letting my self eat so much as to put pressure on my pouch.  The only things that I am eating right now are jello, pudding, and some cream soups.  I can drink a 4 ounce protein drink, and not feel stuffed.  It does take me a while, but I can fini**** I have not tried to take my supplements yet, as I am afraid to get something stuck.  I am chewing some orange flavored calcium and taking sub b-12.  The rest will have to wait until Dr. Schlesinger gives me the go ahead.  I am trying to get in enough fluids, but I do not think that I am getting enough.   Take Care Nita
BeachPat
on 8/21/07 11:42 am
StomaphyX update: My StomaphyX was 2 weeks ago with Dr. Overcash. I have lost 13 lbs. and can now eat "real" food. His post-op diet is 2/3 cup of food 3 times a day, always eating protein first. No drinking with meals. No carbonation. That's it. I said,"Can't I have fruit as a snack?" He said no. Just 3 meals a day. Since I've been eating soup, jello, etc., I have not felt the restriction. Anyone would lose weight on what I ate. So, the real test of the surgery is if I feel full on 2/3 cup of real food. We'll see....I know that carbs and sugar are my weaknesses, so I am trying to avoid them as much as possible.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

tina01
on 8/23/07 1:37 am - Wilmington, DE
 Hi Pat, Thanks for the update and glad you are doing ok.  I go to Dr. O on the 29th.  I'm having major 2nd thoughts.  I can't survive now on eating just 3 times a day, I am starving about every 2 hours or so, will it be different after the fix?  I also think 2/3 cup seems like a lot.  Do you feel that way?  Have you felt hungry? or does the soup/jello work for you. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for your time. Tina
BeachPat
on 8/23/07 7:11 am
Tina, I wish I could say that 2/3 cup 3 times a say satisfies me but it doesn't. I may still pursue a full revision.....(Insurance denied the full revision because Dr. Overcash was in my provider list, as he is out of state.) I wanted something done right away and didn't want to risk the complications, but now I'm just not sure.....Many people on this message board are having a better experience than I am, so don't have second thoughts because of me. I did lose 13 lbs the first 2 weeks... Pat
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

tina01
on 8/25/07 5:10 am - Wilmington, DE
Hi Pat, Don't be disappointed.. yet.  Give it some time. If you just had it done, are you eating 2/3 cup of solid food? Do you exercise?  I know someone who had her gastric bypass about 4 years ago and is losing weight again, just from cutting back, and she has never exercised a day in her life.  Ticks me off. lol  Hang in there. Tina
crivarbm
on 5/4/08 11:41 pm - VIRGINIA BEACH1, VA
RNY on 09/29/99

Pat in VA Beach.  Who did your surgery (RNY)?  I also live in Va Beach and I have also gained.

Most Active