Hi I posted a few days ago about a revision.

Jennifer M.
on 8/10/07 8:41 am - Winter Haven, FL
Dr. Overcash in Ocala Florida is the one who did my gastric bypass procedure, he called me a few minutes ago to ask what was happening because I left a message.  I explained that I was eating more, like before the surgery I asked about that new procedure I don't know what it's called Stomaphx I think, he said that insurances did not cover it and he thinks a revision they would cover.  Is it best for me to stick with the same surgeon because he is 2 hours away or should I find someone closer.  I am so confused and scared.  He did my surgery in June 2002, I weighed 290 and now I weigh 233 I was down to 177, he told me that was still not enough.  What should I do?  Please help! Jennifer
Amyiable
on 8/10/07 11:56 am
In the end,  you'll figure out what you're most comfortable with.  The full revision is likely to give you the most weight loss.   The procedure you choose has to feel right to you.  I had a revision, & for me it was a no brainer (because the 1st surgery never got me below of the obese range). Which ever procedure you decide on, it appears that there is be a high incidence of another stretched pouch.  So, that can happen with either procedure.   No one knows how much you will be able to lose with stomaphyX., or how long it will last before the stoma/pouch stretches again.  If you get the StomaphyX, and if you regain, then you could then get the revision.  I'm just saying that is another option, that buys time.  And perhaps will be all you need.  I'm do not mean to suggest that you should get the stomaphyX.  Or the revision.   There will be benefits to each. Take care. Amy
BeachPat
on 8/10/07 2:01 pm

I also agree that a full revision would result in the most weight loss. But for me, I wanted Dr. Overcash to do the surgery and I wanted it done this summer (I teach school) so I chose the Stomaphyx. Both procedures will work if we do what we're supposed to do. I lost 100 lbs. from my original gastric bypass in 1997(and kept off 85), but I still have 100 lbs. to lose. The Stompahyx is MUCH safer and less invasive. (I can always try for a full revision later, but I am determined for this to work; I don't want ANY more weight loss surgeries.) It all comes down to following the post-op rules about food and changing your lifestyle. I know I have a long road ahead, but so far I am glad to have done the StomaphyX.

Pat

RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

rjmontagna
on 8/24/07 10:46 pm, edited 8/27/07 10:09 pm
BeachPat
on 8/28/07 5:18 am
Rj, The stomaphyx cost me $9500. If you have 100 lbs. to lose, I would try to get your insurance to pay for a full revision.  I lost 13 lbs. in the first 2 weeks from the stomaphyx, but of course I was eating almost nothing. I can eat much more than I thought I would be able to. I am discouraged at this point. There are others whose experience has been better than mine---get lots of opiinions. I still may try for a revision----not nearly enough of my interstines were "bypassed" in the operation 10 years ago, and I think that makes a big difference.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

rjmontagna
on 8/28/07 1:47 pm
Pat,  thank you for the information. I live in nj and they are only doing this procedure in new york I had my surgery in 2003 and I think this would help me, but 9500 is alot and I wonder why the insurance company will not cover this since it would cost them alot less then having a revision.  I want or  need to lose 60 pounds .    Again thank you ! Rita Jean
BeachPat
on 8/10/07 2:02 pm
Jennifer, If insurance had covered a revision from Dr. Overcash, I would have done it. I am out-of-state and they wouldn't, so I chose to self-pay for the StomaphyX.  Pat

KRWaters
on 8/13/07 3:43 am - Manteca, CA
I am also seeking a revision, but to a duodenal switch. That is the top of the line. No one who has a DS ever needs to get a revision. Do that and you are done with WLS. I wish I had a DS back in 2005 when I had the RnY. Check out the DS forum on this site. You may have to go out of state though.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active