Revision Scheduled

BeachPat
on 8/12/07 2:11 am
I am worried too. I will be talking to the surgeon in 10 days or so and hope that with a wider range of "real" foods, I will fill up more easily.  After I eat the 2/3 cup, if I wait 15 or 20 minutes, I am full, but the hunger returns in 2 hours or so. And since I am only allowed to eat 3 times a day, I am experiencing hunger. I am hoping if my meals consist of mostly protein (which is the main post-op diet), I will  feel fuller.  (And some of it may well be emotional hunger, and I have to learn to cope with that, so I don't expect the journey to be easy....).
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

faybay
on 8/12/07 7:13 pm - West Palm Beach, FL
Now, someone is posting on the other board, that she ate 3 slices of pizza 3 weeks post op.
Amyiable
on 8/12/07 9:51 pm
I hope others will reply to your email.  I only read the email posted to the StomaphyX group ...  what that post said was that she was only 5 days post op when she ate the 3 slices of pizza.   If this is true, then she could be pushing at those pleats before the scaring has formed ...  the scaring *should* eventually hold the pouch in place.  I hope. I hope that this person will contact Dr. Garber to see what he says.   Dr. Garber wanted 2 wks of liquid & mushy food post op.   Dr. OC wants us to limit to 2/3 cup ... perhaps that is to keep from expanding that pouch too much before the scaring takes hold.  I'm going to try hard to do what Pat in VA Beach does.  It's going to be hard, but I guess it's the best chance I have for success.    Stick with liquids & soupy foods for 2 wks.   I will ask if cottage cheese is OK... it seemed to work for Cathy.   I wish I knew what foods I could pack with me for the trip. 
BeachPat
on 8/12/07 10:33 pm

(I'm sure cottage cheese is ok post-StomaphyX too; I'm just not a fan of it.)  Before the operation (I was staying with a friend in FL), I bought applesauce and pudding, but I didn't eat anything for the first 24 hours---just liquids. I was sore and tired and just wanted to sleep.

RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

BeachPat
on 8/12/07 10:36 pm
FayBay: Yes, I read the other message board re: the 3 slices of pizza. I can't imagine making such a choice 5 days post-op, but my real concern is that she was ABLE to eat it with her smaller pouch. That concerns me.  This is where I have to really decide that my life has to change. I think we all can make this work, but it won't be easy, no matter which surgical procedure is done. The problem is in our heads.  When I read about the pizza slices, I decided then and there to join a fitness center this week.  :-)  

Amyiable
on 8/12/07 10:56 pm
I hear what you are saying.  I am worried about the same things you say.   Way to go on joining the gym!!  One other thought I had ... the pizza eater said she chewed really well ... maybe she thought she was liquifying her food with chewing... and maybe it was liquidy & passed through her easily.  I don't think Dr. Garber says anything about  limiting meals to 2/3 cups. Amy
sopralto
on 8/12/07 11:48 pm - WA
I believe hunger post RNY is very much related to insulin levels and the amount of simple carbs that dump into your system. With the RNY they dump fast and raise your insulin levels very fast. I would try to eat some fat, like creamy soups and some protein drinks with fat in them. This will moderate your insulin response and hopefully help you feel more satisfied. This goes for after you are on regular foods also. I seldom experience real hunger after my RNy 15 years ago, except when I eat too many carbs and not enough protein and fat.
rachelinphx
on 8/10/07 4:46 pm
I'm happy for you. i'm having the same thing done on Monday with the same doc. How much weight do you have to lose and when is your surgery?
rachelinphx
on 8/10/07 4:52 pm

My husband is not supportive  financially or emotionally.   I wish I had that. Good luck with your surg on Sat.  Mine is on Monday with Dr. S. Can you let m know how it goes? 

lauralisi
on 8/11/07 12:47 am - Dona Ana, NM

WHi, My surgery is today.  I need to loose 60 pounds, but I'd like to loose 80.  I'll be happy to let you know how it goes.  I'm sorry your husband is not supportive.  Shame on him!

Most Active