Revision Scheduled

lauralisi
on 8/9/07 8:18 am - Dona Ana, NM

I'm so happy-I have an appointment with Dr. Eric Schlesinger for a StomaphyX revision.  I chose him because of his reputation and demeanor  the kindness and empathy of his staff. I investigated a number of other surgeons.  One office in NY had an unsympathetic and rude staff member!  I want to believe  she simply was  having a bad day, but the experience certainly dissuaded me from going there!  Experience has taught me that support staff can enhance or ruin your experience.  Please keep me in your prayers and I'll keep you posted.

classite
on 8/9/07 9:44 am - Battle Ground, WA
Where is he located?  Do you know the cost yet?
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
lauralisi
on 8/9/07 10:30 am - Dona Ana, NM
He's in Phoenix, A Z.  Currently, the cost is $8,000, but I understand this may change soon. 
AnninTX
on 8/9/07 1:09 pm - Dallas, TX
Congratulations to you.  I will definitely hold a good thought for you.  I agree with you 100% on the suppor staff making all the difference. Ann (BTW-El Paso native)
 Ann in TX
Starting 423/Current 320/Goal 190             
Loss since 7/30/7 revision= 36 lbs released

Defeat is simply a signal to press onward.

Helen Keller 
lauralisi
on 8/11/07 1:20 am - Dona Ana, NM
Thank you, Ann.You keep up the good worl, too.
sopralto
on 8/9/07 3:57 pm - WA
I also have an appt with Dr. Schlesinger. It was interesting to discuss this stomaphyx with my husband. He asked me not to tell anyone I was doing this. I had an RNY in 1992 then a revision to DS in 2006. I did not have my RNY pouch changed and the stretched condition is keeping me from losing as quickly as my daughter who had a DS on the same day. ( I have still lost 70lbs eating the same food I ate and gained weight on before) I have told very few people about the RNY many years ago, mostly because I gained all my weight back. Most know about the DS revision since I couldn't just disappear with my daughter for the two 1/2 weeks it took to recover in Brazil. It just made me wonder if my surgeries are embarrassing my husband. He denied it, but what else could it mean? He said he is not worried about the money, mostly about the risks of this procedure. I have tried to tell him that I chose not to have the risky RNY pouch revision, which has like a 30% complication rate...I instead am choosing this low risk option. I feel like I am refining the tools I have for maximum outcome. I have about 30-40lbs to lose. So I will tell my friends I am going to a nursing conference in Phoenix in Sept. So there it is. I wonder if the price will go down as more doctors are trained, you know, supply and demand? After all, I plastic surgery procedure with general anesthesia for the same cost would take up to 4 hours...like an arm lift. I am hurrying this decision because my mother in law is on hospice and will be moving in with us when she is unable to live at home anymore...sometime this fall I expect.
lauralisi
on 8/10/07 12:39 pm - Dona Ana, NM

Goodness-your plate is certainly full! (Ha-notice the food metaphor).  Perhaps your husband is afraid that you will be viewed in a less-than-favorable light because of the repeat surgeries.  Think of the people who quit smoking "for good", only to resume again.  Unfortunately, they are ridiculed by some.  What they (those that ridicule) do not understand is that each attempt brings the smoker closer to quitting permanently.  In your case, look how close you are to reaching your goal!  Your DS is working well.  You are about to have your pouch revised.  You are almost there!!!!! I agree with your husband.  You have been through enough.  You do not need any negative energy coming your way. My StomaaphyX is scheduled  8-11.  I'll let you know how it goes.

BeachPat
on 8/12/07 2:01 am
Stompahyx: Would love to hear from post-op StomaphyX patients. My surgery was 4 days ago (last Wed.) and though I am eating only 2/3 cup of soft foods every day, I am VERY hungry. Probably not getting protein (eating oatmeal, jello, pudding, grits, some yogurt). It worries me that I'm not full at 2/3 cup. The surgeon says it's because I'm not eating "real" food yet---the foods I'm eating are more like liquids and are going down easily. Anyone past the 2 week post-op and can tell me what to expect? (I have lost 5 lbs. though!)
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

BeachPat
on 8/12/07 2:02 am
P.S. I'm eating 2/3 cup of food 3 times a day.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

faybay
on 8/12/07 2:06 am - West Palm Beach, FL
This worries me.  I hope I don't have the same hunger.  Other's have said they are not hungry. Actually, 2/3 is a lot of food to me.  If I have this surgery and am still hungry and can still eat so mych food, what a waste.
Most Active