Pain with open RNY

darnell239
on 7/31/07 12:48 pm - Columbia, SC
To everyone who has open RNY can you tell me how much pain you experienced?  I would prefer the laparscopic method but the doctor I'm looking into will only do an open procedure with a revision.
Donna M.
on 7/31/07 2:52 pm - Cave Junction, OR
I just had a revision to RNY and it was open.  They gave me an epidural during surgery and it stayed in almost the entire time I was in the hospital....6 days.  Pain wasn't too bad, plus they give you oral meds too.  And, you have control over the pain pump if you need extra meds.  If you don't get an epidural, they usually give you the pain pump, which you control.  It wasn't that bad...and believe me, I had a very big surgery this time around.  Good luck with your decision...I would highly recommend a revision done open since it gives the surgeon a much better picture of what's going on inside of you, especially if you're having a revision surgery.

bradshaw0506
on 8/1/07 3:48 am - Chicago, IL
I would have to agree with Donna on having the OPEN procedure due to really getting in there and of course scar tissue. I would highly adv ise you to ask the surgeon as to why he wants to do an open procedure vs. a lap procedure.  His preference or what?  Or are there medical reasons behind it?
sopralto
on 8/1/07 2:11 pm - WA

Laprascopic procedures are very difficult when the internal anatomy has been changed from previous surgery. It is safer to to it open so the surgeon can see clearly and feel with his/her hands.

Amyiable
on 8/5/07 4:21 am
I've had two open surgeries.  Both times I had an epidural inserted prior to the surgery.  I had no pain whatsoever.  I have such a huge fear of pain, I used that pump to the max.  My leg ended up getting numb on the 4th day, so they took it out.  I was fine after that.  Leads me to believe that pain management is most important during the first three days.  Good luck! Amy
Most Active