Stomaphyx Results? Lap Band Results? Who's lost weight?

cheyenne16
on 5/19/08 12:20 am - Post Falls, ID
I had Stomaphyx in July of 2007.  It did not work.  I initially lost 17 lbs. but gained it all back.  I had a scope 2 weeks ago and my surgeon (not the one who did Stomaphyx) said that all but 2 of the staples from Stomaphyx had fallen out. I started out at 252 lbs. prior to gastric bypass surgery, got down to 122 then up to 161.  I am now on Atkins for the past week and am at 153.  My goal weight is 135. It's frustrating to gain and I was trying to stop the gain before it went any higher. I've heard of a new procedure better than Stomaphyx called THE ROSE PROCEDURE.  Apparently Stomaphyx doesn't staple the deep stomach tissue, only the mucosa (sp?) and so the staples can fall out making that procedure fail.  With the Rose Procedure, the staples go deeper into the stomach muscle.  I read about it on a Seattle area Dr's website.  You can google it to find out more info. Cheyenne
cheyenne16
on 6/1/08 6:11 am - Post Falls, ID
i had Stomaphyx 6/2007 and lost 17 lbs.  I think 17 is the magic number since I saw where someone else on this board had theirs in Feb. and lost 17 lbs. and gained it all back and then some. I was only up 30 lbs. from goal but wanted to get a handle on it.  I lost 17 lbs. and gained it back. My surgeon scoped me last month.  Out of 15 fasteners put in only 2 remain, the rest fell out somewhere - wonderful. I am now on Atkins and am down 10 with 20 to go. No one waste their money on Stomaphyx - it doesn't work. Cheyenne
HoopersJudge
on 8/15/08 11:05 am - hamilton, NJ
I am having StomaPhyx on Aug 26th. I had RNY gastric bypass (lap) in 2003 and initially lost 85lbs. A few years later I took off another 15 lbs. That 15lbs made a huge difference... HUGE... well, fast forward to 2008 and one hell of a **** storm of a year and I have regained the 15lbs. I am absolutely miserable and am so glad this procedure is available. I wanted the lap band but my BMI is not high enough that insurance will cover it. They will cover the StomaPhyx, though. My out of pocket expenses will be a few thousand max.

I hope to lose 40lbs combining the procedure with exercise and strictly following the pouch rules. I also am working with a nutritionist through my bariatric surgeon and she has setup a meal plan for me. We will meet for at least 6 months and review and revise the plan as needed until we come up with the optimal diet for me. This is an ambitious weight loss goal and I will settle for 30lbs loss if I have to and be happy about it. Anything less than htat and I will be very disappointed. Once I lose the weight I plan to get plastic surgery.

I highly recommend Overeaters Anonymous to everyone. It helped me lose those 15lbs and keep them off for 2yrs. The surgery addresses the physicial illness but not the emotional/spiritual illness of our disease. I think that is why people have regained after so many years have passed... they slip back in to old eating patterns, stop exercising, etc. For me, OA has stopped the insanity of being a food addict.

martin359
on 9/11/08 12:36 am
Hi,  You say that your insurance company covered the stomaphyx proceedure what insurance do you have. I am trying to have the proceedure done. I had gastric bypass 12/03 I lost a total of 105 pounds, I have since gained 27 pounds and really need to get it off plus maybe an additional 15 pounds or so. I contacted my surgeon and they quoted me w/o insurance to be 8,000.
newtonb4
on 3/12/09 12:56 pm
Hi, I am in NYC and Oxford is covering. barbara
BrendaS7
on 8/20/08 3:14 pm - Warner Robins, GA
I just had the procedure done on August 12, so far I have lost 10 lbs. My surgeon said if I follow the plan for gastric bypass, I should lose alot of weight. She said I may not lose all I want, but, I will lose weight. She is making me go through all the procedures like I had gastric bypass again.Feels weird, but, I'm doing it. I don't feel hungary. When the procedure was done my throat was very sore and my stomach hurt, but went away after a couple of days. Didn't hurt as much as an open RNY hurt!
Margy129
on 11/18/08 11:59 am - Central Falls, RI
I had the Lap band surgery August 2007 and have only lost 12 pounds to date.  I am sad, frustrated and disappointed.  I am currently in the process of trying to get a revision.  Do you know any who do it with insurance?

bradshaw0506
on 11/19/08 9:55 pm - Chicago, IL
All accept insurance, it depends on who you use that determines your out of pocket expenses.

I went to Dr. Greenbaum in NJ and I paid a $20 co-pay and my revision was done.  Of course I had an RNY to DS revision and had to prove mechanical break down, but you should have it slightly easier considering you had the band and it didn't work.  Your story isn't unfamiliar to 99% of insurance companies out there.

Good luck!

I MY DS!!!

randy S.
on 11/23/08 11:43 pm - brooklyn, NY
Hi,
I am seriously considering the revision to the DS.  Can you tell me if you suffer from flatulence.  I travel alot and am with poeple oftn so lighting matches everyhere i go is not possible.
Thanx,
Randy
RNY 1998  i have gained back 50 from 120 I lost.
bradshaw0506
on 11/23/08 11:59 pm - Chicago, IL
*Disclaimer*
The DS works the same for everyone, but the outcome is very individual.

Randy,

I do suffer from flatulence but it's not any different than before.  I don't do it more often, it doesn't "smell" any worse, etc. However, depending on what you choose to eat will it make a difference after the DS. 

After an RNY to DS revision you may have some foods that your body won't tolerate well and will cause you gas.  Like I can't eat a lot of tomato sauces or milk...one causes foul gas and the other actually creates more gas.  Does that make sense?  You'll find you own little inner-workings that make life difficult or easy for you, if you know what I mean.

It's not too much to worry about.  I travel a lot and the DS has yet to embarrass me, and it never will.

Lori~

I MY DS!!!

Most Active