Stomaphyx - less than 2 years out

classite
on 7/30/07 3:43 pm - Battle Ground, WA
Anyone know of a physician who will perform this procedure on someone less than 2 years out?  I have not lost a single pound since I was 7 months out and have actually started gaining and want to stop it now before it gets worse.  I have contacted two physicians and they both require that I be two years out first.  Also, anyone have the out of pocket cost?  Thanks in advance for any replies.
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
Amyiable
on 7/30/07 10:21 pm
Have you tried Dr. Overcash?  I hadn't heard about that two year rule.  I had my first revision exactly 12 mos after my original surgery because of poor loss the first time.  If I can get a full open revision in 12 mos, I don't see why someone couldn't get the StomaphyX in 12 mos too.    If Dr. Overcash won't do it, someone will eventually.  I would call all the surgeons doing this to ask.   I'm going to Dr. Overcash as he's been the most helpful to me for getting this procedure.  The office staff has been really nice.  Amy
classite
on 7/31/07 11:31 am - Battle Ground, WA
Thanks, I will give it a try.  I am getting desperate, I don't want to start gaining.
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
classite
on 7/31/07 12:08 pm - Battle Ground, WA
Do you know his price for out of pocket for the Stomaphyx?
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
Amyiable
on 7/31/07 12:20 pm
Dr. Overcash costs $9,500.  The Ohio docs cost $11,000.  The docs in Texas & Las Vegas are less than $7,000.  Dr. Garber costs $8,800.  If you have to travel for this, Dr. Overcash was the least hassle.  I also felt that he would be agressive with me, because I have a huge pouch.  The bulk of costs in the USA seem to be hospital costs.  The surgeon is only getting about $1,500.   I don't know how long it will be until this gets done in a less expensive surgi center. Amy
classite
on 7/31/07 12:41 pm - Battle Ground, WA
Thanks Amy, do you have a date yet?  Also, was there anything you need to do before the procedure (test, etc)??  I just sent off an email to his office so hopefully I will hear something in the next day or so. 
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
Amyiable
on 7/31/07 6:39 pm
I am scheduled for August 20th.  Unlike some other doctors, Dr. O does not do an upper GI.  He isn't requiring a stress test or anything else either.  I haven't spoken with the hospital yet, so I don't know what they will require.  If he can help me, I feel that he can help anyone.  I've never had any restriction... if this really gives me restriction, it will be weird. After the surgery, I will go across the street to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.  I will leave the day after my surgery.  I am not required to visit the doctor the next day.  I don't know if they will reply to an email.  I had to call.  What they tell you to do is go to www.MunroeRegional.com .  From there, you click on the box at the bottom that says 'Remedy'  This starts an application process... it takes a long time to complete.  You don't have to complete in one sitting.  I worked on mine, & then reviewed it the next day.  When I called, Dr. Overcash called me back.  Try to have some questions in mind to ask him, because he pretty much only talks about whatever questions you have.  He asked to see my operative notes, so I faxed those over & then spoke with him again after that.  Let me know how you're doing. Amy
AnninTX
on 8/2/07 3:58 am - Dallas, TX
What doctors in Texas will do the procedure?
 Ann in TX
Starting 423/Current 320/Goal 190             
Loss since 7/30/7 revision= 36 lbs released

Defeat is simply a signal to press onward.

Helen Keller 
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 8/2/07 6:26 am - Bandera, TX
Dr. John Mason in Bryan/ College Station is doing this procedure.  go to www.brazosbaraitric.com Good luck  
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/31/07 4:26 am - Bandera, TX
You might want to check with Dr. John Mason, sounds like you have good reason to need it given that you have not lost since you were only out 7 months from surgery.
Most Active