Time off from work

hlywd
on 7/29/07 8:18 am - Clovis, CA
I just got word that I was approved to get a revision from Lap-Band to RNY! When I received the Lap Band about a year and a half ago it was done as an outpatient procedure and I was out within several hours. I was also an independant contractor that could take days or weeks off without notice. I now work a regular full time job at a local hospital (not where I will have the operation). I understand that this procedure will not be outpatient and will take longer to recover from. My question is should I just try to schedule vacation for a couple weeks? Or is this something that I need to speak with Human Resources regarding disability? How did you all handle this aspect of the operation?
Proud Military Mom
on 7/29/07 11:18 am - Reno, NV
When I had my RNY I could have literally gone back to work the next day...  after I had my revision I went back to soon..  I took 5 days vacation..  But made it clear that we'd pay it by ear.. possibly taking an extra day or two or working 1/2 days.. they were cool with that and very supportive...  I was having a lot of issues prior to my revision and the reasons surrounding it so I was lucky with my employer..  I am sure that is not much help but maybe they'd let you take a week then 1/2 days for a few days..  Good luck with your surgery!!! Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

sandyfeets
on 7/29/07 4:06 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
I'd recommend at least a week of recooperation. Two weeks of vacation time is enough for most people, especially if you are having the procedure done LAP.
Congrats!

Amyiable
on 8/4/07 3:50 am
I guess it depends whether you're having your surgery performed laproscopically or with an open cut.   Also, your doctor's office can tell you what is a normal time for their other patients. I had an open cut & can only speak to my experience about that.   I was out for 4 weeks, which was more than I needed... I *wanted* to stay out as long as I could on disability as my job was rigorous & stressful...  I felt I needed a break.    My doctor wrote a letter saying that I was having major abdominal surgery.  The letter didn't say what the surgery was for or give any details. This pleased me because I considered the matter private.    Congratulations on your approval & good luck on your surgery! Amy
Most Active