Endoscopy or Upper GI?

bradshaw0506
on 7/16/07 11:29 pm - Chicago, IL
What's the difference? Why would a PCP order an endoscopy other than to check for ulcers, make sure bypass is intact, hernias, etc. Would an Upper GI usually show regurgitation and/or fast follow-thru? I'm confused?!
KRWaters
on 7/17/07 2:49 am - Manteca, CA
My PCP ordered an upper GI  only because I asked for it.  It only showed a regurgitation, no bypass problems, so now what? I am trying to reach the PA at my surgeon's office to go over with her what my next step is. She told me previously that because my diabetes has returned, that I am a good case for a revision and she agreed with me that a DS would be the way to go this time.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

KRWaters
on 7/19/07 3:01 am - Manteca, CA
Lori, I spoke to the PA yesterday and she says that my local surgeon will order me an EGD to evaluate my insides. I am going through with my quest to have a revision to a DS.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Sherry C.
on 7/19/07 8:06 pm - Plainview, TX
An endoscopy uses a camera on the inside to look around and an upper  GI you drink the stuff and the camera is on the outside taking pics. Sherry
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

MsButterKup23
on 7/26/07 11:01 am - Wylie, TX

I work for a GI doc. Endoscopies can look for ulcers, hiatal hernias, Barrett's Esophagus (changes on the cellular level-higher case of cancer) and helicobacter pylori (bacteria that can cause ulcers). An endoscopy (EGD) can show inflammation which can indicate regurgitation (GERD).  A barium swallow can usually tell how quickly barium clears the stomach/esophagus. A small bowel X-Ray can help detect adhesions, obstructions, diverticulosis etc.

bradshaw0506
on 7/26/07 12:12 pm - Chicago, IL
Thank you ma'am, I appreciate the feedback. I did find out from my surgeon that a fistula is usually easily missed during endoscopy.  He thinks this is what I have considering the intense heartburn and the fact that the scope showed nothing.  Barium swallow is tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
Most Active