StomaphyX Question

caylee
on 7/29/07 1:12 am - Peoria, AZ

Hi Joyce,

I had my surgery with Dr Fang in Nov 2003. I lost 148 lbs fairly quickly, around 13 months. But now after time has gone by I find that I have regained 35 lbs. I read the azwls messages and was so excited to hear about a revision process. I tried the website that you gave but it wasn't up just yet. I also tried the number that I found and it was a fax number. In your message you had a link to the site and I tried again and was pleased to see it was there! I signed up for the seminar only to realize that I think that seminar is for the original bypass. Do you have a number for me to call Dr Schlesinger's office to schedule an appointment? I would really like to hear more and am ready to have it done if I qualify. I'm sure my insurance won't cover it but I'll pay on my own if necessary. Thanks Carol in AZ

Cheryl J.
on 7/26/07 1:51 pm, edited 7/26/07 1:56 pm
Amy, you always have the option of having a local Gastroenterologist do your endoscopy and have the results sent to Dr. Garber. That way, Dr. Garber will be able to tell you if you are at least a candidate before you make the trip to NY.  When you have your endoscope done, just tell the Dr. thats doing it to measure the volume of your pouch and the size of the stoma.  Also, you can make the nutrition appt. & the appt to see him the same day. I live in NY, but Im having another Dr. do my endoscope just to get the procedure done quicker. My Gastroenterologist asked me why I need endoscope done.  I told him about the Stomaphyx procedure, and Dr. Garber needs to know the size and volume of my pouch & stoma.  Cheryl
Amyiable
on 7/26/07 3:09 pm
I've been very curious about this endoscope thing.  Do you think the surgeons are they looking to see if your pouch is big enough for the procedure?  Like, maybe they can't do it if it's too small?  And/Or to see the size of the stoma?  Some surgeons want you to get the upper GI on your own.  And a few will do that for you in your trip there for the procedure.  Part of the package.  The thing I asked Dr. Overcash, was whether he could even do anything with my pouch, because mine is so big.  I've never really had any restriction.  My pouch is estimated to be at 15-20 oz.  I was able to fax my operative notes to Dr. Overcash & talk with him about it on the phone.  I've told him about the volume I can eat.  We talked about my highest weight, lowest weight, current weight.  If you have to travel, Dr. Overcash has been much easier to deal with.  At least so far.  I haven't actually scheduled anything... yet.  I plan to give it a go. By the way, I spoke with Johns Hopkins Hospital today.  They are kinda slow to respond, had to call them several times to get any info.  They plan to offer StomaphyX procedure sometime in the fall, but they don't know the cost yet.  I called them only because they aren't too far from me. Amy
csbernard
on 8/1/07 8:55 am
I also have a consultation with Dr. Schlesinger on August the 6th.  My appt is at 12:00  I looking foward to learning more about the Stomaphyx procedure.
Cathy Bernard
Revision 8/08/2011
Dr. John Alexander

Amyiable
on 7/23/07 9:52 pm
I'm curious about the other study.  I did hear that there was another study being conducted to reduce the pouch, but I don't know anything about it.   Do you or anyone know anything about this?  If you can get in a study, you don't have to pay for it.  But once the FDA approves it, you have to have to either get insurance to pay, or you will have to self-pay.  Aetna PPO declined my precert request for the StomaphyX.  Possibly it's because I'm 10 yrs post op, & they don't want to pay just because I'm just 65 lbs overweight.  Probably, from their perspective, I don't have anything wrong with my pouch.   I don't see it this way of course.  I'm watching my weight go up every year.  I'm trying to get the money together. 
Kaci Campbell
on 7/24/07 12:41 am - Avondale, AZ
Have you looked into Sclerotherepy?
kelleykeith
on 7/24/07 1:25 am - New York, NY
Thanks, Jonathan.  I did call Dr. Garber's office several weeks ago.  He's not with my insurance, Oxford, but his partner is, so I am still considering Stomaphyx.  I'll see what Dr. Bessler's office has to say about Eros and then decide what to do. It sounds like you're doing well. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
Cheryl J.
on 7/28/07 11:01 pm
Jonathan the only reason the device Dr. Bessler is using is not FDA approved is because it wasnt submitted to the FDA yet. That doesn't mean its not safe.  And insurance is paying for this study. I f the insurance doesn't pay, then the group will pay up to a certain amount.
darnell239
on 8/3/07 10:21 pm - Columbia, SC
Hi Dazzling Eyes, I think I read that your first surgery was the RNY.  I talked with Dr. Overcash about a week ago about the stomaphyx procedure.  After telling him my first surgery was the mini gastric bypass 7 years ago he suggested that I needed a complete revision to the RNY because my 1st surgery is known for the high failure rate.   I'm reluctant for the RNY because you and many others on this forum had the RNY and are seeking revision.  How many years ago was your first surgery and do you believe the surgery failed you?  Any input and advice would be great.
Cheryl J.
on 8/4/07 9:35 am
Hi Darnell, I really don't feel the RNY failed me. Infact, I have done pretty well.  I only gained back 30lbs which is quite good. I had my surgery almost 6 years ago. So if you divide 30lbs weight gain over a 6yr period, that's only 5 lbs a year.  I am doing the StomaphyX to prevent an even bigger weight gain, and to help me lose what I had gained at least, and maybe a little more. I went to see Dr. Garber this past Thursday.  My mother & I went together.  My mother's insurance wil definitely be approved like Jonathan's (The Empire Plan).  Unfortunately, I just got laid off, my whole company did without notice.  So I am looking into getting Healthfirst. Healthfirst approved my gastric bypass, lower body lift, breast lift, and thigh lift.  Im hoping they will approve the StomaphyX! If not, Im going to do the procedure with Dr. Bessler. Dr. Garber looked at my endoscopy report, and said my & my mother's stoma was BIG, 4cm X 5cm, and my pouch was 5cm long and my mom's was 6cm. So we are good candidates for the StomaphyX.  I like him, but I cant stand his staff.
Most Active