StomaphyX Question

Susie221
on 7/14/07 6:37 am - UK
Can anyone please let me know  what is actually done with this procedure ? And if possible costs ?  Many Thanks  Susie x
nan c
on 7/14/07 12:26 pm - Brooklyn, NY

Hi susie 221,

It's a gastric bypass revision. It's done on patients who have either stopped losing weight and have not lost enough weight, or have started gaining weight. It's a really really new procedure and one I was hoping to have - but my insurance company rejected it - but I will try to appeal their decision based on what was found during my endoscopy. My pouch is 2 1/2 times larger then it should be and I have acid reflux that has damaged my esophigus (now I'll need to take Nexium everyday from now on). Back to StomaphyX - the doctor puts you to sleep and does the procedure through your mouth - no cutting!!! The instrument goes into your pouch near the stoma (the stoma is the connection between the pouch and the intestine). The instrument grabs a section of the pouch and places a series of tiny plastic clips on it. Pulling the pouch in on itself. The pouch becomes smaller, so you can't eat or drink as much, causing you to lose weight. The bulk of your weight will be lost during the first month. You can lose anywhere between 15 to 70 lbs, depending on how much more your body needs to lose and how fast you lose weight. For those whose insurance companies deny, my doctor is charging $10,000 - whi*****ludes his fee and the hospital (ambulatory), and the anesthesia is seperate. Hope this helps. Nan C

Susie221
on 7/14/07 11:07 pm - UK
Thank you Nan  So am now wondering if this is just a "temporary" help ? I was hoping it wasnt but I guess as this is such a new procedure we will have to just wait and see what the outcome is on patients who already have had this done  Love Susie xxx
Amyiable
on 7/19/07 7:48 am
Hi, Nan.  Plastic clips?  Really?  I thought perhaps it was titanium or something.  I hope it's a safe & inert substance that isn't reactive.  I hope you will get your procedure approved!  Can you tell me how the Stomaphyx will help your damaged pouch?  Will you still have to take nexium after the procedure anyway?  Who is your insurance company & is it a PPO?   I have submitted for insurance (Aetna PPO), but... I know this has not been going well for approvals.  I hope that you can get this done soon!  (me too!) Amy
nan c
on 7/16/07 1:02 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Suzie, The procedure is supposed to bring permanent results, but I guess it's just too early to tell, besides everyone is different and lose weight differently. My doctor said that so far, patients in Nevada (with a different doctor) have patients losing anywhere from 15 to 70 lbs.  I think the reason my pouch stretched, is because I found it difficult in the beginning, learning how much I could eat, and finding out which foods gave me digestion problems - I had my share of dumping, and frustrations. I did manage to lose 130-lbs, - my weight went from 344 to 213 and then it stopped. With a BMI of 35, I'm still considered obese. I REALLY want to lose another 30 to 50 lbs. People who've known me for years tell me I look great, but I look at pictures and I'm able to see that I'm still fat. I want to look normal, wear a size medium (size 10 or 12), like the average person. There's also sleep apnea that never seemed to go away, and now I have to deal with acid reflux and damage that's been done to my esophagus, for which I'll have to take Nexium everyday.  I did find out that my insurance company will cover it if other companies do, especially - Atena, Cigna and Medicare. Hope this helps. Nan C 
sopralto
on 7/16/07 4:39 pm - WA
I spoke today to a doctor in Florida who does this procedure. Is seems the plastic clips hold the pleats in the stomache but the tissue makes its own connections so it is not considered permanent. I don't know how to explain it better...the pleated parts grow together. The plastic stays in the stomache. There is no long term data on how this plastic exists except that is is safe to use surgically. The stoma is also made smaller in this procedure. Cost is around $10,000. I am just 50lbs from my goal also, but after 15years those pouches stretch. It is possible to stretch this procedure out again, so we can't repeat the mistakes of the past. I  didn't know what I was doing 15 years ago, or how I should eat. I sure know better now, since the advent of the internet. Back 15 years ago I traveled to another state, got no follow up and didn't meet another person for years who had an RNY.
Kahiah1
on 7/16/07 9:22 pm - LivingHappy, AL
There are 2 other proceedures used to make the  pouch back like it was when RNY was first done. One involves a chenical which shrinks the tissue of the stoma, the other involves stitching the stoma and pouch and both cost less than a $1000. Funny that a similiar process would cost $10,000. All 3 are done by Endoscopy with no incision. The Stomaphyx uses surgical staples and that's the main difference. What a rip-off!
Amyiable
on 7/17/07 9:50 pm
Could you please tell me which surgeon does the stitching?   Stitching does sound comparable to the stapling.... Perhaps effectiveness depends on how much they can move around to do extensive work?       I have a very large pouch ... estimated to be 15 -20 oz.   Dr. Overcash said he could reduce it 70-90% with Stomaphyx.   Could endoscopic stitching be done for that?  Why do you think more doctors don't offer stitching?   There's no doubt that some doctors are milking the price for the Stomaphyx.   Mexico is now looking into it, & once that happens, the many people will go there.    As for the chemical, are you talking about sclerotherapy or something else?  That's probably better for just the stoma.
jonathan R.
on 7/18/07 1:56 pm - east meadow, ny
The stitching can only tighten the stoma it does not shrink the pouch and is not readily available presently in the US.  The stomaphyx procedure actually shrinks the entire gastric pouch to about 15-20% of original size.  I had the procedure done today by Dr. Garber in NY and it went very well.  I have no pain and it was just like undergoing an endoscopy.  I paid $8800 for the procedure which is not a rip off.  Dr. Garber and assistant fee was $3500.  The hospital charged $4500 of which I was told the device costs $1800 and the anesthesia was $800.
Amyiable
on 7/19/07 7:41 am
Hi Jonathan.  How are you feeling?  Do you notice any differences in hunger or satiety yet?   It might be too soon yet.    If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me your pre-op diet protocol if any?  Were you allowed to eat the night prior to that surgery?  Also, do you have a diet that you should adhere to after the StomaphyX procedure?  I'm getting different information than you about how much the pouch can be shrunk.  Possibly, because your pouch is (or was) much smaller than mine is.... didn't need as much shrinkage.   My pouch is estimated at 15-20 oz.   Another possiblity is how  aggressive the surgeon wants to use the tool.   It goes without saying (but I will anyway) that one or both doctors may be exaggerating.  I'm hoping for as much reduction as possible, because mine is very large.   Mostly though, I hope for reduction in hunger. I hope that you are feeling well.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Amy
Most Active