Finally....approved!!!!

SunshineDeb722
on 7/9/07 11:40 am - Houston, TX
I gave up on waiting for the insurance to contact me, so last week I picked up the phone and the lady on the other end said she put it on someone's desk so it could be reviewed.  There really are angels out there.  I called again today and she said that I was approved for lap band revision for my failed VBG.  I have researched it all and for me I feel that the lap band will be a great tool to help me be the healthy me that I want so badly.  I have worked so hard and so long that I can't believe that it is finally going to happen.  You know, we all research, wonder, think and worry about making the right decision especially for anyone who did not sustain success the first time.  So, knowing what I know, gives me more pause in making the right decision, however, I know this is going to be it.  I can't wait.  Thanks to everyone for answering all my questions, letting me read your thoughts and just plain supporting each and every one of us. I have to wait until Friday to schedule the surgery.....until then, Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Deborah
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/07 9:42 pm - Montclair, NJ
Horray!!!! I am so happy for you. : ) Congratulations !!!!
SunshineDeb722
on 7/11/07 12:13 pm - Houston, TX
I am sooooo ready!  Thanks for the support Piper!  It is nice to know that others know how you feel.  Thanks again!
smittygirl
on 7/15/07 5:16 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Please share.  What steps did you take in getting the Dr.'s approval first? What die the Dr. tell the insurance company? What are your comorbidities? I have been trying to get this approved as well. I never lost my goal weight from the start. I've gained back almost 25-30 lbs. My asthma is acting up again, my feet are beginning to swell again and they really hurt when I stand too long. I would think that because my BMI is 44 and my asthma is starting up again,that they would have no problem approving my revision. But they don't think it's enough I guess.
SunshineDeb722
on 7/16/07 12:31 pm - Houston, TX

Before I went to see my surgeon, I made charts of my weight loss through the years along with a family chart of health issues.  I truly believe that helped.  The Dr's office even said, "Wow, I have never had a patient do all this before."  This makes it easy. It all started when I tried to remember all my surgeries, all the different diets I had been on, and all the millions of times that I had lost weight and gained it back.  Because I am a person who loves charts, I began to put everything into a chart for my benefit to fill out the Dr's paperwork.  When you put things in a chart, it is easy to see trends and how things have progressed or not progressed through the years.  When I finished, I decided to give them to the Dr's instead of filling out all of their paperwork. Comorbidities - 100 lbs overweight, can't climb stairs, swelling in the ankles, and can't sleep at night for pain in legs and hips.  Really, I am pretty healthy, yet not.  I am not diabetic, I don't have high blood pressure, I don't have high cholesteral, anything!  So.....I had to show that past issues with my health and family health issues were going to be the focus. The noteboo****ep is in my desk at work.  I will be sure to bring it home tomorrow if you want to shee my charts.  I kept them on a CD and that is in my notebook as well.  Let me know.

angiebell28
on 7/16/07 8:49 am - houston, TX
I am so happy that you are approved. I was thinking about calling cigna, b/c honestly i don't feel comfortable with the my case manager saying that she was faxing it to the insurance company on this past friday. but i hesitate b/c i don't want to mess up anything. how long did you wait before contacting your provider? if you don't mind me asking who is your insurance company. i have cigna ppo. I did call them the first time i was trying to get approved with the vbg and then like a week or two later the surgeons staff called ready to schedule two days later. once again i wish you all the best during the surgery and in your recovery. Thanks
SunshineDeb722
on 7/16/07 12:48 pm - Houston, TX

Thank you!  I have Blue Cross / Blue Shield and I called them after 2 weeks.  I have heard that sometimes the squeaky wheel does really get the grease, but of course, I squeak with "Sugar".  I was very nice to the person on the other side of the phone.  I have also learned that sugar taste so much better than sour.  I didn't want to come across as pushy (as I have been told that I can be), so I wrote down what I was going to say or ask and practiced it before hand.  I am really not a sappy sweet kind-of person, so I really did have to plan it....evidently, it worked!  Let me know if I can give you any more information. Deborah

angiebell28
on 7/17/07 1:54 pm - houston, TX

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPOND. MY DOCTOR HAS TWO OFFICES ONE IN PORT NECHES TEXAS AND HIS OTHER OFFICE IS IN TEXAS. WHY MY CASE MANAGER IS IN PORT NECHES AND I LIVE IN TEXAS I HAVE NO IDEA.SO TO I CALLED THE HOUSTON OFFICE WHO CALLED MY CASE MANAGER AND SAID THAT SHE FAXED IT SUNDAY ALL 94 PAGES. WHICH CONSISTED OF MY FOLLOW UP LAST MONTH FOR WEIGHT WITH MY PCP, PLUS HE EVEN WROTE A LETTER OF MEDICAL NECCESSATIY. SO SHE SAID THAT  ISHOULD HEAR SOMETHING IN THE WEEK. i TOLD HER THAT THE CASE MANAGER TOLD ME 30 DAYS. SO NOW WHAT I AM GONNA DO IS WAIT UNTIL LIKE FRIDAY OR MONDAY NEXT WEEK, TO GIVE THEM SEVEN DAYS, THEN I AM GONNA CALL THE INSURANCE COMPANY, B/C I'M TIRED OF THE WAITING GAME

SunshineDeb722
on 7/17/07 2:14 pm - Houston, TX

Sounds like a good plan.  Best of luck!  Let me know what comes of it!  I will keep my fingers crossed for you. OMG.....I am just noticing that Harberg did your surgery too!  He did mine as well!  If you don't mind me asking, which Dr. are you planning to do your revision? 

Deborah

angiebell28
on 7/18/07 12:37 pm - houston, TX
He closed his office last year.he has cancer. so sad. I have  3 co-workers who went to him and they have all gained their weight back. I'm trying to get Speigel to do a revision with the lap band. I spoke wth the office manager bc i couldnt deal with my case manager anymore. she told me on fri she was sending, monday she told the office manager that she faxed the info all 94  pages mon and that she should know something within the week. She told me they have thirty days.I'm gonna wait until next week then i am gonna all cigna myself. the waiting is nerve wreckking. thanks for responding
Most Active