what type of revision can be done with the StomaphyX?

Exhorter
on 7/8/07 3:57 pm, edited 7/8/07 4:39 pm - Conroe, TX
I had a 1982 vertical banded gastroplasty according to what I was told. It has not work for over 24 years and I have been looking into the DS however my insurance will not cover and can't come up with the amount my surgeon wants to perform the DS. Does anyone know if this new StomaphyX can be performed on the surgery I had in the past. Keep in mind it was not the RYN but an old fashion staple surgery? I had a upper GI done and that is what my surgeon called what I had in 1982 was the vertical banded gastroplasty.  How awesome it would be if they could just fix that for me. Anyonw happen to know? Also I heard they are doing it in TX anyone know what dr or where in Tx I live in Tx . Thanks for any info
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/07 6:38 am - TX

The only surgeon I've heard of is Dr. Overcash in FL.  Another girl from Ft Worth is going to go to him.  I could ask her to contact you if you'd like.

stacy B.
on 7/10/07 3:24 am - Wantagh, NY
My surgeon Dr. Garber in New York is doing the Stomaphyx.  I am not sure if it can be done.  You should email him. www.stopobesityforlife.com
steffie02
on 7/13/07 2:04 pm - Orlando, FL
I had a vertical banded gastroplasty in 2001.   I have complete failure of the staple line and have gained all of the weight i lost plus some.  I went to Dr. Overcash on Monday to see about getting the new procedure.  He said that I would be a better candidate for a RNY. He said he could do the stomaphyx but i would not lose as much as the RNY.  I was disappointed but not suprised.  I guess stomaphyx  is not for everyone.  I want to have the procedure that i will be most sucessful.  Talk to your surgeon and see which procedure would be best for you. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/07 9:37 pm - TX

And what Dr. Overcash didn't tell you (because he doesn't do it) is the DS works the best for losing % excess weight and keeping it off.

Read my profile to see why I didn't want my RNY fixed when the staple line disrupted and the stoma enlarged.

Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/16/07 8:25 am - Bandera, TX
There is a surgeon in Bryan College Station, TX that is well known for Lapbands and also performs bypass surgery that is going to be one of the first in the country to perform this procedure.  He has an excellent staff and is very well respected surgeon.  He will be performing Stomaphyx procedure beginning in August I believe.
Stefanie Bailey RN
BSN RNFA ...

on 7/16/07 9:33 am - Bandera, TX
I forgot to write his name.  Dr. John Mason, 979-774-3232 www.brazosbariatric.com  
Divine Lady
on 7/16/07 10:21 am - Suburb, MI
I am happy with my RNY even though it has been difficult for me to shed pounds with it from the very start.  However, the only revision I would consider after 1 failed WLS is the DS.  If restriction hasn't worked for you, why go to another restriction surgery?  The RNY mostly works by restriction whereas the DS relies mostly on malabsorption. 
Divine Lady
"My 3 Rs for success: Remain focused on my goals, Remain committed, Remove Toxins from my life(toxic people, toxic situations, toxic foods)"
jamiecatlady5
on 7/22/07 6:28 am - UPSTATE, NY
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_aro und/a,messageboard/action,replies/board_id,5366/cat_id,4966/ topic_id,3334528/ this post had several surgeons who ae doing it..... also look at the manufacturers site for more info, i ould gyess rny or ds would be better option 4 u though... http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/index.php?src=gendocs&re f=StomaphyX&category=Products
Take Care,
Jamie Ellis RN MS NPP

100cm proximal Lap RNY 10/9/02 Dr. Singh Albany, NY
320(preop)/163(lowest)/185(current)  5'9'' (lost 45# before surgery)
Plastics 6/9/04 & 11/11/2005  Dr. King
www.albanyplasticsurgeons.com
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/jamiecatlady5/
"Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect, it just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections!"
Most Active