Help- Dr. Problems with discussion of Revision

KyleBeth
on 7/9/07 12:42 am - Erie, PA
I went to see my doctor about 3 months ago and asked him if I qualified for a revision.  I told him that I could eat a lot... and I was always hungry!!! He told me I was crazy... that I lost 120 pounds and should be happy.  At that time I was 240 and now i'm back up to 260.  My starting weight was 365, I am very happy with my loss, however I didn't expect it to stop like this... i stopped losing weight at 9 months out.  I am so frustrated that he won't even consider a revision, and telling me I should be happy with what I got.. (god I am!!!) He did prescribe me a drug that was like Phen Phen... but suposedly (safe)... Has anyone gone to a different docotor, or had an experience like mine? I'm really frustrated. It seems I've started a WLS trend among my family and friends... it's getting so frustrating to see everyone else have great sucess and here I am... feeling like a failure.. i sometimes wonder  how it turned out this way for me :(   If anyone has any suggestions for me I'd greatly appereciate it. I am at a loss as to what to do...
Lilypie - (b6LK)      Lilypie - (evIs)
classite
on 7/9/07 6:31 am - Battle Ground, WA
Sorry for your trouble, you are not the only one.  I started out at 295 and in 6 months went down to 226 and have been stuck between that and 232 ever since (last 9 months).  I have seen my surgeon several times and see her again today to discuss this issue.  I have had a swallow test, been sent to the dietician, kept a food/exercise log and still nothing.  I wish you the best and just wanted you to know that you are not alone.  She says the same thing to me "you have lost 100 pounds and to me that is a success" - NOT ME!!  Keep me posted of any changes or suggestions that you have received.
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/07 6:35 am - TX

suggestion #1 - find a surgeon who understand that obesity is a disease and that we are not always in control of our hunger.

Research the DS and talk to Dr. Husted.

If you read the revision boards, (or even the RNY board) you find lots of ppl who are in the same boat. 

Trudy O.
on 7/9/07 12:22 pm - TN
I totally understand.  I have gone through a similar process.  I only lost 40lbs and gained it back.  Through test I have found that my pouch is still small, but my stoma is huge.  My surgeon still blames the failure on me.  I am done with him.  I refuse to pay someone so that they can talk to me like a child.  I'm going to see a new surgeon next week.  I wish the best for you.  Don't give up, you've come way to far.
sallyn2829
on 7/10/07 6:07 am - Birchwood, WI
I've been reading up on the surgery we've had and Doctors are actually starting to put what is called a "silastic ring" around the stoma along with doing the Roux N Y  surgery as a result of people's stoma's becoming too enlarged. I too am having the same issues.......able to eat way too much......for having my body re-arranged and cut up, I dont think I should be able to eat the large amounts I'm able to, therefore I believe my stoma is enlarged. I went to the Dr. that performed my surgery almost 3 years ago now and he said the same thing.....I should be happy and should keep a log of my calorie intake and exercise........well, newsflash......if that program worked for me, I wouldn't have needed the bariatric surgery to begin with. I think those folks who are or were considered "morbidly" obese really need to do alot of research into this issue.......I weighed about 420 when I had my surgery and got down to 280, now I'm up to 305......by no means under the BMI I should be. I am an active person as well.......I walk, bike, do yoga and step aerobics, etc. I am seeking a Doctor elsewhere who will either slap about 20 lapbands wherever needed or even look at another option which I've read about........some sort of solution they inject into the stoma to make it dilate back to the right size. Finding the right Doctor is the same as finding the right pair of shoes......even though insurance pays for some of our visits, we are still a paying customer and need to shop around to get what we want. Sorry, I see I'm rambling. I say go see a new Doctor.
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/07 9:52 pm - Montclair, NJ
I had my RNY in 2001 and gained back a lot of the weight. Early on I had stopped loosing weight, my surgeon gave me a revision and boom. the weightloss stopped again. and I was exercising and eating right. then life complications happened. I have tried diets and programs since then and they work and then i just can't keep them up. If you know you are doing all you can do. something else is going on. the idea of 'be happy with what you've got' is arrogant. the idea is not to gain the weight back. look into a lap band or some other type of surgery. ask questions. do research. and what's the deal with the medication??? I agree with most of the posts here, see another doctor.
jonathan R.
on 7/15/07 6:08 am - east meadow, ny
You should look into the stomaphyx procedure.  It is done through the mouth and requires no incisions and seems like it has minimal risk.  They shrink the gastric pouch and stoma.  I am having it done by surgeon Dr. Shawn Garber in NY this week - www.stopobesityforlife.com .  Good luck with whatever you decide but you should look for another surgeon that can help you.
Amyiable
on 7/15/07 1:14 pm
I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!  Please post when you can.  Did your doctor say how much your pouch will be reduced to?  I'm working on having this procedure too, but I"m not yet scheduled.  I'm hoping in about a month.
Colleen H.
on 7/20/07 2:45 pm - New Milford, NJ

I had my RNY in March of 2002.  When I walked into the O.R., I weighed approximately 600 pounds.  Yes, you read it correctly, 600 pounds.  I had 2 corrective surgeries and I got down to 214 pounds about 2 years ago.  I have gained about 70 pounds since.  I went to the doctor who performed my RNY and asked about Revision Surgery.  He would not even discuss it with me.  He said it was too dangerous, there were too many risks, etc.  Stupidly, I accepted that answer until yesterday-7/20/07. I actually did some resear*****luding this site, and found a Revision Surgery physician.  Someone who had a lot of experience with revision and who I felt comfortable contacting.  I wrote him a letter and explained EVERYTHING!  I faxed the letter to his office last night.  Today, I got a message from one of his receptionists.  He asked her to call me.  I am to call on Monday to set up a consultation visit.  She said he wants me to bring copies of my post-operative reports and any upper GI tests completed.  WOO HOO!! Trust me, I am neither angry nor mad.  Still, I have come to realize that my RNY doctor is NOT the end all, be all.  Thus, I am exercising my right to a second opinion.  That's all.  Plus, when I call for all these reports, I don't have to say a word as to why I want/need them.  They can not ask, either.  He is doing what he thinks is best.  Well, I need to do the same.

Therefore, I suggest that you do the same.  This wesite is VERY helpful with research.  I utilized it a great deal even when I was contemplating the RNY.  You know how you feel and what you need.  If the doctor can't or won't help you with it.......NEXT! BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!    Colleen

Most Active