Revision of Gastric Segmentation ?

TexasTammy
on 7/7/07 7:22 am
Has anyone out there had a revision surgery from Gastric segmentation to RNY or a D-Switch.  Specifically, a Gastric Segmentation performed by Dr. Marcel Molina in Houston that was done with a Dacron Band.   I am having a revision done on Wednesday, July 11th and would greatly appreciate any information on which procedure you ended up with and how your experience has been.   Thank you in advance! Tammy
Elizabeth L.
on 7/8/07 9:06 am - Canton, MS

Tammy, I had the Gastric Segmentation with Dr. Molina in Houston,TX in September, 1996. Lost a bunch of weight but slowly regained majority then I developed GERD that nearly killed me. On March 12, 2007, Dr. Kenneth Cleveland in Mississippi removed the band and revised me to a RNY. Strange....10 years I had trouble eating meat and now, that is the majority of my meals. I have lost 45# but probably only have 30-40# to go to my goal. Dr. Cleveland scared me and said he "hated" doing Molina revisions but did and I am very thankful. Last weeks episode of "Big Medicine" TLC showed a girl from Michigan that had the Molina band as well and the doctors on the show revisied. NLynn is her name on OH if you would like to talk to her as well. Dr. Molina's nurse is still working in Houston but for Dr. Oria if you would like to call and talk to her as well. For me, I am adjusting to the changes and praying things will continue to go well. Beth in Mississippi

TexasTammy
on 7/8/07 12:39 pm
Beth, Thank you so much for the info.  I am really happy things are going so well for you.  If you don't mind me asking,  was your RNY open and how long was your recovery? Dr. Stewart was'nt real thrilled about the Molina Band either.  Mine is made of Dacron which is probably fused pretty good to my stomach.  I really never had any medical problems from the band I just slowly started regaining my weight after 5 or 6 years.   Thanks again, Tammy   
Elizabeth L.
on 7/9/07 3:00 pm - Canton, MS
Tammy, I was back at work in 4 weeks. I was on medical disability and got paid the entire time. The first two weeks back I got tired often but now I am doing fine. Good Luck! Beth Oh, the only thing they did not tell me about was how much the surgery would cost....of course insurance covered a good majority but the overall bill was......$78,000. Yep, $78,000 I thought I would drop dead when I got that bill; however, insurance paid all but $1,800.00 and I settled out with the hospital so I actually paid $1,300.00 total.
Most Active