Do I Need a Revision

Darlene H.
on 6/17/07 1:46 pm - Pinson, TN
Could someone please tell me what the "criteria" is to have a revision?  I know you probably hear this question alot, but I need to know.  If you could refer me to good websites about revision I would appreciate it.  Just a little backgroud, I had Lap RNY in Feb 2004, I lost 160#s and had no complications.  I have since went through a couple of years of very emotional trials and I let my tool down and I gained 60#.  I did get back on track in November 2006 and can lose 1# a month.  I am now eating 400-600 calories (closer to the 400), 60+ grams of protein and about 100ozs of clear liquids.  I started exercising 3 X a week at Curves and 3 days a week walking.  I just cant seem to lose any major amount , now I know it won't be like the "honeymoon" period but I think I should be doing better.  I am actually doing things more "by the book" than I did in the beginning.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, Darlene Hughes
Darlene Hughes
     Tangled Lights

Proud Military Mom
on 6/17/07 11:52 pm - Reno, NV

HI Darlene... I am  no expert, I got my revision due to some other issues. Before you dive into a revision or the mindset that you need one speak to your surgeon and a nutritionist.. see if the surgeon will do some tests to make sure your tool is still working the way it should. Also many have been talking about "Time Out" on the WLS Graduate's board

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/a,messageboard/a ction,replies/board_id,5491/cat_id,5091/topic_id,3320036/

The important thing here is that your losing.. even if its 1lb a week, I was told after my revision I still won't lose at the original pace.. thats ok with me as long as I lose!! Good Luck Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

Darlene H.
on 6/18/07 5:13 am - Pinson, TN
Thank you for the advice Debby, when I go back to the doc, I will ask him about revision. Darlene
Darlene Hughes
     Tangled Lights

Happydaze62
on 6/21/07 2:19 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Hi Darlene: I am scheduled for my revision on Tuesday. I will go from a proximal RNY to a distal. I started at 310 and got down to 172 (while pregnant) and have continued on the upward spiral ever since. My low was in 1998. I am now up to 242 and was 252 when I started to protein supplements that I didn't know I was suppose to be on!  I sabotaged my tool because I had no info on how to use it. It was 11 years ago and my followup was a phone call and my preop was attending a class where the post-ops talked about everything they could manage to eat without dumping. No matter what I do - I feel like I am stuck. I am currently on a sugar free clear liquid with protein supplements and I am losing about a pound everyother day to everythird day. This is surprising but nice. When speaking with my surgeon, he said I have become so effecient, I can suck calories from ice...in so many words!  Now that I understand that eating sugars and fats will teach my body to accept them, that drinking when I eat just makes it possible to eat more, and that I am to use a little medicine cup to measure my food until I reach goal - this makes much more sense and I can and will be successful. My insurance company required a BMI of 40 or greater. I changed jobs 4 times in 5 years to find an insurance company that would cover it period. I have been working towards this a long time.  If you are only eating 400 to 600 and have a bypass, part of the problem may be that you have totally shut down your metabolism. Also, you require 0.8 to 1 gm of protein per Kg of body weight. (divide pounds by 2.2) If you have wounds, you will require 1.5 gms of protein per Kg of weight. (I'm an RN and teach wound care.) In my opinion, you are starving yourself and your  body is doing everything it can to survive. You can probably suck calories from air!  When I started 120gms of protein per day, I lost 10 pounds the first week. While I didn't lose anymore at that time, it made a bold statement. You won't lose if you are starving. You will only damage your protein stores which are your organs and muscles. Talk with a knowledgeable nutritional professional as well as a surgeon to do what's best for you. Best of luck!!
Most Active